Happy Monday, friends and fans!
In 2020, OU and WVU were unable to play due to a series of COVID-19 related complications that ultimately led to the contest’s cancellation. Since joining the Big 12 in 2012, the Mountaineers have yet to defeat Oklahoma in eight tries.
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! K1 had himself a day, Clay Helton is out, K-State’s veteran QB receives positive news and more!
- Arizona Cardinals QB Kyler Murray went off in his 2021 NFL season opener on Sunday, racking up 309 total yards and five total touchdowns in a 38-13 road win over the Tennessee Titans.
- The Philadelphia Eagles’ Jalen Hurts also had himself a fine outing in a season opening, 32-6 roach victory over the Atlanta Falcons. The former OU QB completed 27 of 35 passes for 264 yards and three scores.
- Baker Mayfield balled out as well for the Cleveland Browns in a 33-29 losing effort to Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs. The 2017 Heisman Trophy winner did not record a touchdown, but did throw for 321 yards on 21 of 28 completions.
- Through a half of work, Spencer Rattler graded out with one of the top individual QB performances in college football during Week Two, according to PFF.
Highest-Graded QBs of Week 2 pic.twitter.com/Ct6gxI2TCj— PFF College (@PFF_College) September 13, 2021
- No surprise here. Junior EDGE LB Nik Bonitto is still doing his thing. His abilities should come in handy even more so now that the Sooners’ schedule is about to start heating up.
Around the Sports World
- On Monday, USC Trojans Athletics Director Mike Bohn announced the dismissal of head football coach Clay Helton, effective immediately. Honestly, this move was a long time coming.
- Following a sound defeat to the Arkansas Razorbacks, Steve Sarkisian and his Texas Longhorns are switching gears at the quarterback position. Now, junior Casey Thompson will start in redshirt freshman Hudson Card’s place against Rice this weekend.
- After suffering a scary knee injury early against Southern Illinois over the weekend, it is being reported that Kansas State Wildcats redshirt senior QB Skylar Thompson could potentially make his return to the field sometime later this season.
- On Sunday, Washington Football Team QB Ryan Fitzpatrick went down with an apparent hip injury that could sideline him for at least the next few weeks.
- Detroit Lions CB Jeff Okudah is reportedly done for the year after rupturing his Achilles tendon on Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!