Happy Friday, friends and fans!
It’s no secret that redshirt sophomore QB Spencer Rattler will be one of the most talked about players in college football this season. Even with a number of individual accolades likely destined to come his way, he’s maintained that his primary mission is to lead the Oklahoma Sooners to the program’s eighth national championship.
Speaking of Rattler, OU Daily’s Mason Young recently penned this fantastic piece about the growth in maturity shown by the talented Phoenix, Arizona product.
Who is #Sooners QB @SpencerRattler? Once the confident kid who told his youth coach “I got this,” before winning their state title game, he’s now matured physically and mentally into a Heisman candidate focused on winning the national championship.https://t.co/V2ROKQ8q9U— Mason Young (@Mason_Young_0) August 5, 2021
Stories like this help shape how we perceive the star power before us. By now it should be clear to all that Rattler is who is he is today because he’s always been confident in his abilities as an athlete. Those who have had the privilege to be around him as either a young quarterback or the face of a blue blood have an true understanding of the heights he’s capable of reaching as he continues to combine his natural born talent with his ever-evolving work ethic.
Once again, many props to Mason Young for putting together this insightful story about one of the top players in the game today.
Now onto this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! Austin Stogner is back to his full strength, Perrion Winfrey has his eyes set on a big season, RGIII has joined ESPN as an analyst and more!
- On Friday afternoon, 2023 four-star TE prospect Luke Hasz announced his verbal commitment to play for Oklahoma. The Bixby product is currently rated as the No. 1 overall player in the Sooner State and second best recruit at his position according to the 247 Sports Composite Rankings.
AGTG. STAYING HOME. BOOMER SOONER. HORNS DOWN. #OUDNA ❤️ pic.twitter.com/3T39OoCdp0— Luke Hasz (@LukeHasz5) August 6, 2021
- You get all the points if you immediately recognized the song and artist OU’s media department used for this epic camp setter. Boomer!
Camp mode.#OUDNA pic.twitter.com/zI3OlKBJwS— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) August 6, 2021
- Redshirt junior LB Brian Asamoah is excited about the first day of fall practice at OU, and so am I. Sooner!
Day ☝️@BrianAsamoah2 #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/zlz0Hfo8dt— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) August 6, 2021
- After missing a significant stretch of time during the 2020 season, H-back Austin Stogner is back to full health heading into his junior season. OU Daily’s Chandler Engelbrecht has more.
- After a respectable Oklahoma debut a year ago, senior DT Perrion Winfrey believes he is primed for a monster 2021 season. From both a mental and physical perspective, he and his teammates are expecting big things from the terror on the inside. SI Sooners’ Ryan Chapman has more.
- Cornerback coach Roy Manning may be entering his third season at OU, but he has the energy of a brand new hire. These videos will never not fire me up. Let’s go!
NEW SEASON ALERT!!— Roy Manning (@CoachRoyM) August 6, 2021
DAY 1 with my DAY 1’s… The time is NOW! #Boomer!⭕️ #ChampU #SpeedD™️ #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/cmm2TtereX
- Breaking News: Baker Mayfield is still an absolutely charming individual with a heart of gold and a knack for comedy.
C’mon @BakerMayfield, please return our calls! We’re very sorry!!! #TeamBODYARMOR pic.twitter.com/LSp6Ga5iAS— BODYARMOR (@DrinkBODYARMOR) August 6, 2021
Around the Sports World
- Former Baylor Bears Heisman Trophy winner and first round pick QB Robert Griffin III has reportedly struck a multiyear deal with ESPN as an analyst for both college football and the NFL.
- Guard Andre Iguodala is returning to the Golden State Warriors after a couple seasons with the Miami Heat organization. The 37-year-old is reportedly joining GSW on a veteran’s minimum contract.
- The Charlotte Hornets have reportedly signed free agent wing Kelly Oubre Jr. to a two-year, $26 million deal.
- After three years on the job, Michigan State Spartans AD Bill Beekman is set to step down from his role as Athletic Director. A replacement has not yet been named.
- New York Giants offensive lineman Zach Fulton has reportedly called it a career after recently announcing his retirement from playing professional football. Fulton is the third veteran to hang it up since training camp started for Big Blue.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!