On this Monday evening, as the Oklahoma Sooners prepare to open the 2021 college football season against the Tulane Green Wave, we here at Crimson & Cream Machine want to extend our thoughts and well wishes to the people living in Southeast Louisiana and neighboring areas that are being impacted by Hurricane Ida. Whether you’re from the heart of Tornado Alley or the edge of the Gulf, history has shown us that devastation does not discriminate.
If you or someone you know would like to help those who have been affected or displaced in the wake of Hurricane Ida, the American National Red Cross Organization is currently accepting donations for a Disaster Relief Fund.
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! Tanner Mordecai is a starter, Baker Mayfield gears up for the regular season as the preseason comes to an end, the Lions cut a veteran wideout and more!
- As you’ve likely heard by now, the Tulane Green Wave will travel up to Norman to face the Oklahoma Sooners this weekend. Time and TV details remain unchanged. TU will also remain the home team (as it should) and receive the game’s ticket revenue (as it also should). OU’s season ticket holders will have first dibs amongst the crimson contingent, with remaining tickets going on sale to the general public on Friday. It’s also worth mentioning that OU and Tulane are working to arrange a return trip to New Orleans (most likely in 2024 when Tulane was set to come to Norman).
- On Sunday, former Oklahoma QB Tanner Mordecai was named the starter for the SMU Mustangs entering the 2021 season. The ex-Sooner has three years of eligibility remaining. The Dallas Morning News’ Joseph Hoyt has more.
- A panel of writers from ESPN have offered up their takes on which player they feel will win the Heisman Trophy, which team will win the national championship and more, and Spencer Rattler and OU emerged as some of the favorite picks for each category, respectively.
- In a 19-10 win over the Atlanta Falcons, Baker Mayfield saw some preseason action for the Cleveland Browns. During his run, he dropped this absolutely gorgeous dime on WR KhaDarel Hodge. That pass was a thing of beauty.
- Rhamondre Stevenson has continued to star for the New England Patriots during the NFL Preseason. On Sunday, he scored on this play from nine yards out in a 22-20 win over the New York Giants.
- Philadelphia Eagles QB Jalen Hurts has reached an agreement to team up with Eastbay and its line of athletic gear. Stay tuned for a line of products featuring the ‘untamed’ and ‘rare breed’ mantras of the former Alabama-turned-Oklahoma signal caller.
Jalen Hurts and Eastbay have reached an agreement where the #Eagles QB will be the face of future @Eastbay campaigns.— Jeff Kerr (@JeffKerrCBS) August 30, 2021
Hurts will be the first ambassador for the brand’s newest Performance Line, following Hurts' personal mantras -- “untamed” and “rare breed.”@jalenhurts pic.twitter.com/FU5QvLUvcu
Around the Sports World
- The Texas Longhorns are going with redshirt freshman QB Hudson Card as the Week One starter against the No. 23 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns, but head coach Steve Sarkisian is on record in stating that redshirt junior QB Casey Thompson will be rotated into the game at some point.
- Over the weekend, Alabama Crimson Tide redshirt freshman LB Quandarrius Robinson was arrested for DUI after his involvement with a multi-car accident.
- New York Mets pitcher Noah Snydergaard has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 after he was set to begin rehab following Tommy John surgery.
- Minnesota Vikings starting TE Irv Smith Jr. is expected to miss at least the start of the 2021 NFL season after recently suffering a meniscus injury.
- On Monday, the Detroit Lions made the decision to release veteran wide receiver and former first round pick Breshad Perriman.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!