Happy Thursday, friends and fans!
NEWS | The @SEC Presidents & Chancellors voted unanimously Thursday to extend membership invitations to the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas to join the SEC effective July 1, 2025, with competition to begin in all sports for the 2025-26 academic year.— Southeastern Conference (@SEC) July 29, 2021
Needing a minimum of three-fourths approval (11 yes votes from the league’s current 14 teams), the necessary number of votes was apparently reached, resulting in an official invitation for OU and UT to become the newest members of the SEC family.
Board of Regents meetings for both Oklahoma and Texas are scheduled to convene on Friday morning to formally accept the SEC’s official invitation to the conference. From there, a timetable for how soon this will all come into effect going forward may become a bit more clear.
Now for today’s Hot Links! Bob Bowlsby takes action against the worldwide leader in sports, Cedarian Lamb jerseys are selling like hot cakes, the 2021 NBA Draft tips-off tonight and more!
- On Wednesday, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby sent a cease-and-desist letter to ESPN, alleging that the sports network has manipulated its power by encouraging other leagues to scavenge the remaining Big 12 members while simultaneously assisting OU and Texas’ conference buyout as they begin their transition to the SEC.
- On Thursday, sophomore WR and punt returner Marvin Mims was named to the 2021 Hornung Award Watch List for his prowess as one of college football’s most versatile players.
- In other preseason awards-related news, senior safety Patrick Fields was named to the 2021 Wuerffel Trophy Watch List for his impactful role as a leader in community service in addition to his excellence on the field.
- Earlier this week, redshirt junior specialist Gabe Brkic was named to the 2021 Groza Award Watch List. This annual individual honor is reserved for the nation’s top collegiate placekicker. I expect big things from this young man this season. Boomer!
- When Porter Moser and his Oklahoma men’s basketball team show up to the 2021 Myrtle Beach Invitational this fall, the Sooners will open up tournament play against East Carolina. Tip-off is now officially scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 18 at 6 p.m. CT.
- ESPN college football guru Bill Connelly recently ranked all 130 FBS teams in terms of current program stability, and in his rankings, OU checked in as the fourth highest Big 12 team and No. 52 overall. Even as I understand his algorithm, we’ll have to agree to disagree.
- According to the NFLPA, from the beginning of March to the end of May, former Oklahoma and current Dallas Cowboys WR Ceedee Lamb had the league’s highest-selling officially licensed jersey for a non-QB. Among the overall top 50, Lamb checked in at No. 5, Baker Mayfield at No. 29, Jalen Hurts at No. 34 and Kyler Murray at No. 38.
Around the Sports World
- The Detroit Pistons are on the clock! Tonight at 7 p.m. CT on ABC, watch the 2021 NBA Draft. This year, Detroit has the first overall pick, and all signs point to that pick being Oklahoma State’s Cade Cunningham.
- Projected top-five picks Jalen Suggs (Gonzaga Bulldogs) and Evan Mobley (USC Trojans) have each recently signed multiyear endorsement deals with Adidas.
- Brooklyn Nets assistant Mike D’Antoni is reportedly stepping away from his full-time coaching role on Steve Nash’s staff.
- Ohio State Buckeyes 2022 five-star QB commit Quinn Ewers is facing a decision to either stay in high school for his senior year or enroll at OSU where he could potentially earn seven-figures in NIL offers.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!