Happy Thursday, friends and fans!
Hours after Porter Moser was formally introduced as the head coach of Oklahoma Sooners men’s basketball, OU Hoops picked up a verbal commitment from 2021 three-star point guard Alston Mason out of Overland Park, Kansas.
LETSS GET IT!! ⚪️ pic.twitter.com/KcEpRUOCnr— Alston Mason (@AlstonMason) April 8, 2021
According to the 247Sports Composite Rankings, the 6’1 Mason is the No. 7 player in the Sunflower State and is rated as the 264th-best prospect nationally. Upon committing to Oklahoma, he also held an offer from the Kansas State Wildcats.
Judging from his highlight tape, Mason looks like a total natural with the ball in his hands. Not only does he possess range from the college three-point arc, he can also drive to the rim with aggression and without fear of absorbing contact.
More highlights of new Oklahoma PG commit Alston Mason.— OUHoops (@ouhoops) April 8, 2021
[ ️ via @RL_Hoops]pic.twitter.com/ALUfCS28iv
Now for today’s Hot Links! Lincoln Riley welcomes Porter Moser to the Palace on the Prairie, Sooner Softball picks up a pair of weekend games at the last minute, KD is perfect in his return and more!
- After Porter Moser met with the press for the first time as the head coach of men’s basketball at Oklahoma, he caught up with Lincoln Riley while touring his new stomping grounds. Yes, there is a lot of jewelry in that office.
High level.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) April 7, 2021
Thanks for the welcome, @LincolnRiley. #BoomerSooner pic.twitter.com/LmgUADnea3
- Here’s Moser and Riley with the obligatory photo op. I have a feeling this image will become iconic around Norman in time.
Welcome home @PorterMoser #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/cX1cFxNYQF— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) April 7, 2021
- It looks like Patty Gasso’s team will play softball this weekend after all. On Saturday, April, 10 in Ruston, Louisiana, Oklahoma will play the Mississippi State Bulldogs at 12:30 p.m. CT, then follow that contest up with a tilt against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs at 3 p.m. CT.
cause we’re playing this weekend! » https://t.co/SQnDj3IQde— Oklahoma Softball (@OU_Softball) April 8, 2021
Mississippi State, Louisiana Tech
Saturday, April 10
12:30 p.m., 3 p.m. CT
The Franchise 2/TuneIn app#ChampionshipMindset pic.twitter.com/WWnfxvPqaY
- On Wednesday, OU Softball was set to play at Wichita State, but due to inclement weather in the area, that game has now been postponed and rescheduled for May 4.
— Oklahoma Softball (@OU_Softball) April 7, 2021
Tonight’s game at Wichita State has been for May 4th at 6 p.m. CT due to anticipated inclement weather in the Wichita area this evening.
We’ll look towards Baylor in Waco this weekend.https://t.co/Lv6PNb4G3P
- In other softball news, the Sooners’ series against the Baylor Bears that was originally slated for this weekend has also been postponed due to a recent uptick in COVID-19 cases within the BU program. That future date is TBD.
— Oklahoma Softball (@OU_Softball) April 7, 2021
In accordance with @Big12Conference softball game interruption guidelines, our three-game series at Baylor this weekend has been postponed. https://t.co/vjhROUrjsQ
- Check out the impressive body control from third-year WR Trejan Bridges. After missing most of the 2020 season, many are expecting No. 8 to have a breakout campaign starting this September.
Playmaking time.@TrejanBridges #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/8sq3Q0TOMz— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) April 8, 2021
- According to Golfweek and Golfstat, Oklahoma Golf is the No. 1 ranked team in the nation. This group certainly looks capable of claiming the program’s third national title. Boomer!
There's a . in town‼️— Oklahoma Golf (@OU_MGolf) April 7, 2021
https://t.co/iGqayMaUVi#Sooners | #L1S pic.twitter.com/9OuJGGfkeO
Around the Sports World
- On Wednesday, the Arizona Wildcats parted ways with men’s basketball head coach Sean Miller after 12 seasons in Tucson. Under Miller, the Wildcats went 302-109 (.735), reached the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet Sixteen five times and the Elite Eight on three occasions. In 2018, an FBI investigation began that revealed severe recruiting violations. That investigative process is still underway.
- In other college b-ball news, UCLA Bruins men’s basketball head coach Mick Cronin has signed a two-year contract extension after leading his team on an improbable run to the Final Four.
"I love being at UCLA. The commitment from our players over the past two seasons has been rewarding."@CoachMickCronin has signed a two-year contract extension at @UCLA.— UCLA Men’s Basketball (@UCLAMBB) April 8, 2021
DETAILS: https://t.co/z9JkThtue4 pic.twitter.com/ZtPA93ErBW
- In his first on-court appearance since suffering a hamstring injury in mid-February, the Brooklyn Nets’ Kevin Durant went five-for-five from the field and from the stripe to score 17 points in a 139-111 rout over the New Orleans Pelicans on Wednesday night.
- On Wednesday, former Florida State Seminoles head coach Bobby Bowden received the Sunshine State’s inaugural Medal of Freedom Award. The 91-year-old coaching legend celebrated this monumental event with his family, friends and a number of former players in attendance.
Congratulations to the @TheBobbyBowden!! Today he was presented the inaugural Governor’s Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award the Governor can give#NoleFamily pic.twitter.com/2RZrnlhlme— FSU Football (@FSUFootball) April 7, 2021
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!