Happy Tuesday, friends and fans!
Former Oklahoma Sooners defensive tackle Carl Pendleton (2003-06) was recently promoted to the rank of Captain by the Norman Police Department.
We proudly celebrate the promotion of Lieutenant Carl Pendleton to the rank of Captain. Captain Pendleton will oversee Patrol Division II.— Norman Police (@normanokpd) March 15, 2021
Today we honor Captain Pendleton’s many accomplishments & look forward to his continued leadership! pic.twitter.com/ZImCAHj3vT
In his playing career at OU, Pendleton started 22 of 38 games. Following the end of the 2006 season, the Sapulpa, Oklahoma native opted out of his final season of eligibility to care for his 11-year old stepbrother. Since then, he’s set an example for his family and his community through his strong work ethic. Today, he’s continuing to rise in the city of Norman.
PSA to OU students acting up on Campus Corner: Do NOT try to run from Captain Pendleton!
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Oklahoma Baseball beats the No. 1 team in the land, Sooner Hoops lands in Indy, Tiger is back in video game form and more!
- It’s official. Oklahoma Softball (22-0) is now the unanimous choice as the No. 1 team in the land, receiving all 32 first-place votes in the latest USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll. Boomer!
@OU_Softball unanimous in this week's @USATODAY / NFCA DI Top 25 Coaches Poll.— NFCA (@NFCAorg) March 16, 2021
- Speaking of OU Softball, senior Jocelyn Alo has recently been named Big 12 Player of the Week after adding six home runs and 10 RBI to her 2021 season total. Congrats!
The do the talking. @78jocelyn_alo is your @Big12Conference . » https://t.co/27uvxNhO05#ChampionshipMindset pic.twitter.com/QxFAnddM2w— Oklahoma Softball (@OU_Softball) March 16, 2021
- In other diamond news, Oklahoma Baseball (9-7) just topped No. 1 Arkansas in Fayetteville by a score of 8-5. OU seems to be rounding into form at just the right time, as the Sooners are set to open conference play March 26-28 when they host Texas.
!— Oklahoma Baseball (@OU_Baseball) March 17, 2021
Oklahoma goes on the road to Fayetteville and takes down No. 1 Arkansas 8-5!
Carmichael gets the win and Ruffcorn the save.#Sooners pic.twitter.com/aBSytWeDpm
Breydon Daniel went the other way to put the #Sooners on top!— Oklahoma Baseball (@OU_Baseball) March 16, 2021
- Speaking of Sooner Baseball, redshirt junior infielder Tyler Hardman was recently recognized as the league’s latest Big 12 Player of the Week.
Well lookie there— Oklahoma Baseball (@OU_Baseball) March 15, 2021
Tyler Hardman is the Big 12 Player of the Week!
➡️ https://t.co/rF54J7bgas#Sooners pic.twitter.com/9QCx8CvucB
- No surprise here, but Oklahoma’s winning percentage in Big 12 play over the last five years is the standard in this conference. What is somewhat of a surprise is that Matt Campbell’s Iowa State Cyclones have had a tiny bit more success than the Texas Longhorns over that same span of time.
@OU_Football has dominated in @Big12Conference play the last 5 years— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) March 15, 2021
Which team's conference winning % is the most surprising? pic.twitter.com/VBYyUMyoSe
- ESPN recently ranked the 68 head coaches in this year’s NCAA Tournament field in terms of their playing careers. OU’s Lon Kruger checked in at No. 7 for what he accomplished as a point guard for the Kansas State Wildcats.
- Oklahoma has officially arrived in Indy as it prepares to tip-off its March Madness run this Saturday against the Missouri Tigers inside Lucas Oil Stadium — home of the Indianapolis Colts.
Always grateful to be here.#BoomerSooner pic.twitter.com/H2kDkEpdce— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) March 16, 2021
- If you’re interested in attending the first round of this year’s NCAA Tournament to catch the Sooners take on Mizzou, limited tickets are currently available for purchase.
Limited tickets are on sale NOW!— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) March 16, 2021
Around the Sports World
- The Denver Broncos have exercised their $7 million team option on DE Von Miller, preventing the star pass rusher from becoming a free agent for the first time in his career and keeping him in the Mile High City for at least one more season.
- The Washington Football Team has signed veteran QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year, $10 million deal that could grow to $12 million with incentives.
- The New England Patriots have signed former Los Angeles Chargers TE Hunter Henry to a three-year, $37.5 million contract.
- Sacramento Kings forward Marvin Bagley III reportedly suffered a fracture in his left hand on Monday night. Sac-Town ultimately lost to the Charlotte Hornets, 122-116.
- For the first time in eight years, Tiger Woods is returning to a gaming console near you. EA Sports is not only rebooting the PGA Tour 2K series, it’s partnering up with the golf pro that originally made golfing video games popular in the first place.
It's time to roar, is back! We are stoked to announce that we are joining forces with @tigerwoods to take to the virtual links in the #PGATOUR2K franchise. The future is bright and what better way to move forward than with the 15-time Majors winner at the helm! pic.twitter.com/Qe3962bVCT— PGA TOUR 2K (@PGATOUR2K) March 16, 2021
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!