Happy Monday, friends and fans!
Things won’t get any easier for Lon Kruger’s crew in the immediate future, but with the challenge comes opportunity. Tonight, OU will face the No. 17 Oklahoma State Cowboys in a rare back-to-back Bedlam rematch. The Sooners have a chance to avenge their loss to OSU on Saturday, but Cade Cunningham and company will be tough to stop in Stillwater. Tip-off for this top 20 contest is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT on ESPN.
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! Buddy Buckets breaks a record, an OU target is set to make a decision, Justin James Watt is headed to the desert and more!
- Recently, Sooners Wire’s Patrick Conn took a closer look at OU’s pass rushing statistics before and after Alex Grinch was hired as defensive coordinator. Unsurprisingly, the numbers spell out a trend that should have fans excited for years to come.
- On Sunday, Sacramento Kings shooting guard Buddy Hield officially reached 1,000 three-point makes faster than any other player has in NBA history. It only took the former Oklahoma hoops star 350 games to eclipse the monumental milestone. Boomer!
- OU Baseball has had a bit of an up-and-down start to the 2021 campaign, but this weekend Skip Johnson’s Sooners went 2-1 in the Round Rock Classic with wins over Auburn and Baylor to improve to 4-3 on the season.
- The first National Qualifying Scores (NQS) of the season were unveiled on Monday, and the undefeated Oklahoma women’s gymnastics (14-0) team debuts at No. 2.
- 2022 three-star C Demetrius Hunter is set to announce his verbal commitment tonight. OU is currently perceived as the favorite to land the Orange, Texas product. According to 247 Sports’ Composite ranking, Hunter is rated as the nation’s No. 1 center prospect.
Commitment drops tonight— “ℙ “ ℍ (@Pancakehunter59) March 1, 2021
Around the Sports World
- On Monday, ex-Houston Texans superstar DE J.J. Watt announced his decision to sign with the Arizona Cardinals. The two sides have reportedly agreed to a two-year, $31 million deal.
- Safety Kendal Daniels, the No. 1 recruit out of Oklahoma in the 2021 class, has officially announced his decision to play for the Oklahoma State Cowboys after originally signing with the Texas A&M Aggies last December.
- Former LSU Tigers TE Arik Gilbert has re-entered the NCAA Transfer Portal after initially announcing his commitment to the Florida Gators.
I have decided to decommit from the university of Florida and re-enter the portal. I will not be announcing my final decision until i am enrolled into school and on campus.— AG2 (@arik_gilbert) February 28, 2021
- Ex-Texas Tech Red Raiders QB Alan Bowman is officially heading to Big Ten Country where he’ll play for the Michigan Wolverines.
- Junior guard Teddy Allen — the Nebraska Cornhuskers’ leading scorer — is reportedly leaving the program per a release from NU’s athletic department.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!