Happy Hump Day, friends and fans!
Former pro QB Eli Manning is out here living his best life and enjoying retirement from playing in the league, but even a well-known public figure like himself uses everyday ridesharing services. Thankfully, Oklahoma Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley was recently in the neighborhood to give the future Hall of Famer a lift in style.
That’s good stuff. Now I don’t exactly know what OU’s plans are for getting to Dallas this weekend, but I do know that the team will probably want to pack light if they’re planning on taking the Schooner.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Fourth down defense has proven troublesome for the Sooners, K1 has the Cards flying high, a key SEC DB could miss the rest of the college football season and more!
- Lincoln Riley moves to 6-0 this week after passing the latest Butkus Brain Teaser. This one was actually quite tricky, but of course it wasn’t enough to fool the brightest mind in the game.
- Entering Week Six, Oklahoma’s defense has faced more fourth down attempts than any other team in the FBS. That’s a troubling stat that definitely needs to be addressed going into this Saturday’s matchup with the Texas Longhorns. The Norman Transcript’s Jesse Crittenden has more.
- OU’s receivers take pride in their reputation as a selfless unit. Whether that’s blocking for their teammates or accepting less touches, this is a group that is truly about the team first. The Sooners Wire’s John Williams has more.
- Kyler Murray’s Arizona Cardinals are the NFL’s last remaining undefeated team at 4-0, and the former No. 1 overall pick is leading the way with some prolific passing performances. Boomer!
- ESPN’s Alex Scarborough recently took a look back at the ‘Superman Play’ from the 2001 Red River Showdown. 20 years later, the epic play that Roy Williams and Teddy Lehman combined forces on continues to live on as one of the most memorable moments in the OU-Texas rivalry’s storied history.
Around the Sports World
- LSU Tigers star junior CB Derek Stingley Jr. has been ruled out indefinitely after undergoing surgery on a foot injury he suffered last Saturday.
- Alabama Crimson Tide LB Drew Sanders has also been ruled out for this weekend’s game against the Texas A&M Aggies after being sidelined with a hand injury.
- For the second consecutive season, NBA players will not be subjected to random marijuana drug testing during the upcoming 2021-22 campaign, according to a recent memo from the NBPA.
- The New England Patriots have traded CB Stephon Gilmore to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for a 2023 sixth round draft pick.
- On Wednesday, the San Diego Padres dismissed Jayce Tingler from his position as manager after two seasons with the team. Reportedly, Tingler has subsequently been offered an opportunity to remain with the organization.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!