Happy Friday, friends and fans!
The Oklahoma Sooners are one day away from a major top-25 Big 12-SEC Challenge matchup against the Alabama Crimson Tide. If OU extends its winning streak on Saturday, it would be a third straight victory over a top-10 ranked opponent, and the fourth overall in the month of January alone.
— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) January 28, 2021
And more to come.#BoomerSooner pic.twitter.com/6vd1Xfp84T
Before this highly-anticipated contest tips off, CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm and his latest Bracketology projects Lon Kruger’s squad as a five-seed in this season’s Big Dance. Additionally, ESPN’s Joe Lunardi currently has the Sooners as a six-seed in his most recent update, and also gives Oklahoma greater than an 80 percent chance of making the tourney.
January 29, 2021
If this team winds up with an eight-seed or higher, it would be the highest seeding OU has had in the NCAA Tournament since Buddy Hield led a two-seed Sooner squad to the Final Four in 2016.
Now on to this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! Creed Humphrey has made quite the impression in Mobile, it’s never too early for Big 12 power rankings, ‘The Kid’ is back in baseball and more!
- Sticking with OU Hoops, Kruger was recently interviewed by CBS Sports’ Jim Rome to discuss Oklahoma Tuesday night’s road victory over the Texas Longhorns.
Looking back at a big road win. @LonKruger recaps OU's victory over No. 5 Texas with @JimRome. pic.twitter.com/vAMBigFvjZ— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) January 28, 2021
- Former Oklahoma center Creed Humphrey continues to impress at this year’s Senior Bowl practices. If he keeps up this momentum, and tests well at his pro day, he could very well find himself as a first or second round selection. Sooners Wire’s Patrick Conn has more.
- If you need a quick refresher of all the Sooners who have departed after the 2020 season, as well as the list of all those who are set to return in 2021, the Oklahoman’s Ryan Aber has you covered.
- Hey all you cool cats and recruits, if you come to Oklahoma, you can have these nice shoes and a whole lot more with similar drip.
It’s always Christmas in Norman - #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/mvGXWOyISA— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) January 28, 2021
- Make sure you check out Allen’s way-too-early Big 12 Power Rankings ahead of the 2021 college football season. Of course, OU is on top after winning its sixth straight conference title, but where do each of the other nine members fall in line?
Around the Sports World
- Star forward Anthony Davis missed the Los Angeles Lakers’ game against the Detroit Pistons on Thursday night as he deals with a right quad contusion. L.A. went on to lose, 107-92.
- Recently, Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger said he’s willing to restructure his current contract to help his team with its impending salary cap dilemma.
- The Chicago Cubs have reportedly signed former Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Joc Pederson to a one-year, $7 million deal.
- Staying in the MLB, on Friday it was announced that Hall of Fame outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. will serve as a senior advisor to league commissioner Rob Manfred with an emphasis on baseball operations, youth development and diversity improvement at the amateur level.
- A bettor has placed a $2.3 million wager on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to cover a +3.5 point spread versus the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LV. If the Bucs can manage to lose by no more than a field goal (if not simply win outright), the bettor will win a net $2 million. If you can afford to gamble away millions on sports, I truly cannot relate.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!