Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day, friends and fans!
Today is a day of reflection and celebration for all who call this great nation home. Martin Luther King Jr. stood for equality among all people regardless of the differences in their backgrounds. As one of history’s leading voices for civil rights activism, MLK’s monumental efforts to promote love sparked a necessary change that continues to reverberate today. Like so many others, the Oklahoma Sooners would not be where they are now without those efforts.
Now on to this MLK Day edition of Hot Links! Two young Sooners receive national honors, Oklahoma’s top 2021 signee has officially enrolled at OU, Vols Football faces an uncertain future and more!
- QB Spencer Rattler and WR Marvin Mims have been recognized as Freshmen All-Americans by the Football Writers Association of America. Both playmakers figure to earn more accolades and connect on many more touchdowns as their respective Sooner careers progress.
- In case you missed it, the Sooners have added Tennessee OT transfer Wanya Morris.
- On Sunday, former Sooners safety-turned-linebacker Robert Barnes announced his decision to transfer to the Colorado Buffaloes. Good luck in Boulder, RB!
- Caleb Williams — 2021’s No. 1 QB recruit and the top signee in Oklahoma’s latest recruiting cycle — has announced that he is officially dual-enrolled at OU and Gonzaga High School in Washington D.C. What this means is that while the talented signal caller finished up his prep work, he will also be allowed to start on his collegiate course work while working with Lincoln Riley starting next week.
- Pro Football Focus recently released its list of the 101 best college players from the 2020 season, and six Oklahoma players made the cut, including RUSH LB Nik Bonitto, who was the highest-ranked Sooner checking in at No. 13.
- Senior forward Brady Manek could possibly return to the lineup as early as Tuesday pending one final COVID-19 test, according to head coach Lon Kruger.
Brady Manek is awaiting results from one final COVID-19 test, Lon Kruger says, which should come at any moment.— Eric Bailey (@EricBaileyTW) January 18, 2021
If he passes, he'll practice today and participate in Tuesday's game against visiting Kansas State. Manek has missed two games. #Sooners
- According to the latest Bracketology update by CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm, the OU men’s basketball team projects as a nine-seed for the 2021 NCAA Tournament.
Around the Sports World
- Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes reportedly did not suffer a concussion in Sunday’s AFC Divisional Round win over the Cleveland Browns, but rather, he sustained a tweaked nerve.
- Ohio State Buckeyes junior QB Justin Fields has officially declared for the 2021 NFL Draft. He is expected to be one of the first quarterbacks selected this April.
- The Tennessee Volunteers have reportedly fired head coach Jeremy Pruitt after three seasons on Rocky Top following an internal investigation into recruiting violations. Athletic Director Phillip Fulmer is also expected to retire as well.
- The Michigan Wolverines have reportedly hired former Baltimore Ravens linebacker coach Mike Macdonald as their next defensive coordinator.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers are reportedly looking to either trade or release shooting guard Kevin Porter Jr. following a heated locker room outburst. C’mon, man.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!