Happy Friday, friends and fans!
In some rather disappointing news, this Saturday’s Bedlam game between the Oklahoma Sooners and Oklahoma State Cowboys has been postponed due to a recent COVID-19 test and the resulting tracing within OSU’s program.
️ ️#Big12MBB : @OU_MBBall at @OSUMBB scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 16 has been postponed. The Conference will work with the institutions to reschedule. pic.twitter.com/UOdocyL03a— Big 12 Conference (@Big12Conference) January 15, 2021
This hoops edition of Bedlam was originally set to be the first of two meetings on the hardwood between OU and OSU this year, with the Sooners visiting the Cowboys in Stillwater this Saturday before shifting the series back to Norman on Feb. 27 for the regular season finale. So far, a new date has not yet been scheduled for this now postponed contest.
Looking forward, next up for Oklahoma is a home game against Lon Kruger’s alma mater — the Kansas State Wildcats — on Tuesday, Jan. 19. Tip-off time and TV info for that matchup are still being determined.
Now onto this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! Baker Mayfield has played like a franchise level QB over the last few months, a Sooner signee is one win away from claiming a state championship, several high profile college football players declare for the league and more!
- The season review episode of Oklahoma Football’s ‘The Standard’ premiers tonight at 5 p.m. CT on FSOK. Last time, we got a close look at the week leading up to Bedlam. Since then, the Sooners defeated the Iowa State Cyclones to win their sixth straight Big 12 title before obliterating the Florida Gators in the Cotton Bowl.
— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) January 15, 2021
Season Review debuts Friday at 5pm CT on @FoxSportsOK.
https://t.co/d5osXURNBx | #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/JyLyf0dDi1
- If there were any doubts about DE Isaiah Thomas returning to Norman following his stellar redshirt junior season, those feelings can be put to bed. After leading Alex Grinch’s defense with 8.5 sacks and 13 tackles-for-loss last season, IT intends on returning to OU for the 2021 campaign. Boomer!
Let’s finish what we started Sooner Nation... pic.twitter.com/lTlu9OnYKb— Isaiah Thomas (@Isaiah_t55) January 15, 2021
- Check out these wildly impressive Baker Mayfield stats over his last 11 outings. That 19-2 TD-INT ratio stands out to me in particular. Now if he’s able to lead his Cleveland Browns to a monumental upset win over the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs this Sunday, it’ll automatically become his top feat as a pro thus far in his career.
Baker Mayfield - Last 11 Games— CBS Sports HQ (@CBSSportsHQ) January 15, 2021
248.3 Pass YPG
19-2 TD-INT #Browns | #WeWantMore pic.twitter.com/YzeAUunjKG
- Marvin Mims had a phenomenal season as a true freshman in 2020, and according to Pro Football Focus, he’s the nation’s highest graded returning receiver. Neat.
Top returning WRs in CFB pic.twitter.com/YeVOFdp6OX— PFF College (@PFF_College) January 14, 2021
- Speaking of true freshmen from last season, H-back Mikey Henderson flexed his versatility within Lincoln Riley’s offense early and often. Whether he was taking hand-offs from the backfield or receiving passes from Spencer Rattler, it seems he’s only scratched the surface on his potential as an offensive weapon. OU Insider’s Parker Thune recently looked at where his evolution might take him this fall.
- 2021 Oklahoma four-star signee Billy Bowman — the nation’s second-highest rated athlete — is competing for a Texas 5A DI High School State Championship. His Denton Ryan Raiders are set to take on the Cedar Park Timberwolves inside AT&T Stadium. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m. CT.
Last high school game ever & most meaningful game of my career. Wouldn’t want to go to war with anyone else. This if for the city. It’s been too long!— ² (@Billy2Bowman) January 15, 2021
- Kenneth Murray turned in a monster season with the Los Angeles Chargers, breaking the franchise record for the most tackles as a rookie. While he had the green light to blow up opposing receivers and running backs, he didn’t have to flex on us this hard. I only wish I was born with this much drip.
Humble Beast... pic.twitter.com/pasQFLnbXB— Kenneth Murray (@KennethMurray) January 15, 2021
Around the Sports World
- National Championship winning Alabama Crimson Tide QB Mac Jones and four others have forgone their options of returning to Tuscaloosa this fall and instead have elected to enter the 2021 NFL Draft.
January 14, 2021
- Travis Etienne, the Clemson Tigers’ all-time rushing leader, has also announced his decision to forgo his final year of eligibility by declaring for this April’s draft.
Thank you! #ALLIN pic.twitter.com/2IEs9iYMKg— Travis Etienne Jr⁶ (@swaggy_t1) January 15, 2021
- Brooklyn Nets point guard Kyrie Irving has been fined $50K plus roughly $820K of his salary after it was discovered that he recently took part in an indoor birthday party. Wow, the NBA really isn’t messing around.
- The New York Yankees have reportedly re-signed infielder DJ LeMahieu to a six-year, $90 million deal.
- After two seasons with the Nebraska Cornhuskers, all-purpose back/receiver Wan’Dale Robinson has announced that he is transferring to the Kentucky Wildcats.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!