Happy Tuesday, friends and fans!
With the 2020 college football season now officially in the books, the final AP top 25 rankings have been released. The Oklahoma Sooners check in at No. 6 in the poll and head into the start of the offseason with national championship expectations and a world of momentum.
Just how much momentum does OU have going into next season? Well consider that outside of the recent title-winning Alabama, no other team has a longer active winning streak than the Crimson & Cream. After a rough 1-2 start in 2020, Lincoln Riley’s group rebounded to win its final eight contests, including victories in the Big 12 Championship Game and the Cotton Bowl Classic.
Now on to today’s Hot Links! The Sooners are a trendy pick for 2021, Trey Sermon goes down early in the title game, the Tide have chosen their next OC and more!
- According to Draft Kings, the Sooners currently have the fourth-best odds to win the 2022 National Championship Game (2021 season). Honestly, at +800, that’s a wager worth considering. At +1400 and with a starting QB returning, Georgia is also worth a look.
- FOX Sports’ Joel Klatt recently unveiled his personal way-too-early preseason top 10, and he slots OU at No. 3 going into the 2021 college football season. With Spencer Rattler another year older and the defense’s expected improvement, the sky is the limit for Oklahoma this fall.
1️⃣ @GeorgiaFootball— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) January 12, 2021
3️⃣ @OU_Football@JoelKlatt reveals his way-too-early Top 10 for next season with the help of @MattLeinartQB and @ReggieBush (Sponsored by @Wendys #ad) pic.twitter.com/xU2fGSf6eB
- Charleston Rambo has found a destination, and it’s with Manny Diaz’s Miami Hurricanes.
- Former Oklahoma RB Trey Sermon suffered an apparent upper body injury in the early stages of Monday night’s CFP National Championship between his Ohio State Buckeyes and the Alabama Crimson Tide. After leaving the game to be further evaluated at a local hospital, Sermon is reportedly ‘doing well’ and has been permitted to return to Columbus.
- OU Hoops is set to take the court tonight against the TCU Horned Frogs. Last month, Lon Kruger’s crew defeated Jamie Dixon’s squad in Forth Worth, 82-78. This time around, the two teams meet in Norman. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. CT on ESPN+.
- In case you missed it, Allen recently highlighted some of the key areas that Oklahoma can still make marked improvements in as the team transitions from 2020 to the 2021 season.
Around the Sports World
- The Alabama Crimson Tide, winners of the 2021 CFP National Championship, are reportedly set to hire Bill O’Brien as their next offensive coordinator. The most recent OC, Steve Sarkisian, is now moving on full-time to be the head coach for the Texas Longhorns.
- Buffalo Bills rookie running back Zack Moss out of Utah will miss the remainder of the NFL postseason after sustaining an ankle injury last Saturday.
- The Masters Tournament has announced its plans to allow a limited number of spectators when it commences this April.
- The Tennessee Volunteers are reportedly adding ex-Auburn Tigers DC Kevin Steele, a former Vols player and assistant, to their coaching staff.
- Indianapolis Colts offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo is calling it a career after spending the entirety of his 10-year run as a pro in Indy. The former first round pick and Boston College Eagle is just 32 years old. Congrats and good luck in retirement, AC!
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!