Happy Hump Day, friends and fans!
On Wednesday, Oklahoma Sooners redshirt junior WR Charleston Rambo was named to the 2020 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award preseason watch list. This honor is exclusive to offensive players who are either from the state of Texas or play for a team in the Lone Star state.
.@CharlestonRambo ➡️ @CampbellAward Watch List https://t.co/qFj2oc4kU2 #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/sXUPuHj09M— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) September 2, 2020
Rambo, a Cedar Hill native, has seen the trajectory of his Sooner career steadily rise as the years have gone by. To date, he’s accumulated 868 yards and six touchdowns on 51 receptions. Now entering his fourth season in the program, he’s expected to shoulder much of the receiving load to take some of the pressure off of a young Spencer Rattler.
Relative to other college football honors, the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award is quite new. Since its inception in 2013, two OU players have been named its recipient (Baker Mayfield in ‘17, Kyler Murray in ‘18). Rambo has a chance to become the school’s third honoree with a stellar 2020 campaign.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Riley discusses what will happen if he tests positive for COVID-19, J-Mix inks a new deal with Cincy, CP3 leads OKC into a pivotal Game 7 and more!
- Sooner fans, I think you might be interested in this. For $50, OU Athletics is allowing fans to order personalized cutouts with that will place you at the game if you can’t physically make the game yourself. It’s an opportunity that may not present itself ever again, so become part of history and act now!
Join the #Sooners in the stadium this season even if you can't physically be at the game! All proceeds benefit the Sooner Relief Fund.— Oklahoma Sooners (@OU_Athletics) September 2, 2020
https://t.co/HIEjunSC1W #TogetherAsOne #BoomerSooner pic.twitter.com/MpUu0kQIbP
- 2018 Heisman Trophy winner and Arizona Cardinals No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray vividly remembers the day he was officially named OU’s starting quarterback. After Spencer Rattler was announced as such, the former Sooner offered some words of wisdom in regards to the importance of the position at Oklahoma.
From one #Sooners QB1 to another. Kyler Murray (@K1) calls this a special day for @SpencerRattler and says, "He'll do us justice." pic.twitter.com/pyM1kYDJQQ— Dylan Buckingham (@DylanBuckingham) September 2, 2020
- Speaking of Rattler, will he be the next Lincoln Riley coached QB to produce prolific stats at Oklahoma ala Baker Mayfield, K1 and Jalen Hurts? Something tells me *Stone Cold Steve Austin voice* oh hell yeah!
Highest yards per attempt in a single season since 2014:— PFF College (@PFF_College) September 1, 2020
1. Kyler Murray (2018) - 11.6
2. Baker Mayfield (2017) - 11.4
3. Jalen Hurts (2019) - 11.3 pic.twitter.com/wsgnwUKb0l
- Along with naming Rattler his starting QB, Lincoln Riley also shared news of several players returning from quarantine in following with COVID-19 protocols. Furthermore, he discussed contingency plans should he test positive for coronavirus, plus other team related notes. Sooner Scoop’s Bob Przybylo has more.
- Joe Mixon secured the bag this week, as the Cincinnati Bengals signed the former OU RB to a four-year, $48 million contract. Boomer!
Staying in The Jungle through 2024. pic.twitter.com/5my2bjZM7L— Cincinnati Bengals (@Bengals) September 2, 2020
- It’s not too late to check out Nike’s latest OU-themed shoe! Out of all the Sooner specific kicks I’ve seen, this is definitely one of the cleaner designs in my book. They won’t stick around forever, so act fast and order a pair of the Air Zoom Pegasus 37 for yourself and maybe even that special Oklahoma fan in your life!
Nike drops the new Air Zoom Pegasus 37 Oklahoma #Sooners shoe! Secure a pair here: https://t.co/csetNv991z pic.twitter.com/TYgWNhtub6— C&C Machine (@CCMachine) August 20, 2020
Around the Sports World
- Tonight is Game 7 in the first round of the NBA Playoffs. Chris Paul and the Oklahoma City Thunder have battled James Harden and the Houston Rockets back-and-forth to reach this very moment. For OKC, there isn’t nearly as much pressure because they weren’t expected to even be here in the first place. The same cannot be said for H-Town, who in addition to the beard also boasts former Thunder great and 2016-17 NBA MVP Russell Westbrook. Tune into ESPN or FSOK for the 8 p.m. CT tip-off to watch all the epic hoops drama unfold in Orlando this evening.
You already know what today is.— OKC THUNDER (@okcthunder) September 2, 2020
8 pm CT | @FOXSportsOK pic.twitter.com/JxnS6DmbOH
- Staying on the court, recent meetings between the NCAA men’s and women’s basketball committees are reportedly targeting Nov. 25 (roughly two weeks later than the original schedule) as a starting date for the 2020-21 season.
- Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar recently tested positive for the coronavirus. He is currently in self-isolation with a plan to return to his team in two weeks. Unfortunately for PSG, that means he will miss the season opener against Lens on Sept. 10, as well as the next match against Marseille.
- On Tuesday, the San Francisco Giants buried the Colorado Rockies, 23-5 behind a record-breaking barrage at the plate. Leading the way for SF was Alex Dickerson, who recorded six RBI thanks to a home run hat-trick. His teammates Brandon Crawford and Donovan Solano matched him with six RBI apiece, also. My goodness, MLB needs a mercy rule or something.
The sweet sounds of 23 runs scored. pic.twitter.com/zOsiFNbJgh— SFGiants (@SFGiants) September 2, 2020
- On the same day the Kansas City Chiefs were presented with their Super Bowl LIV championship rings, MVP Patrick Mahomes proposed to his girlfriend, Brittany Matthews, and of course she said yes, sis! The soon-to-be 25-year-old QB is having one heck of a 2020 compared to the rest of us average Joes. Congratulations to the newly engaged couple.
On a day that was meant to celebrate you, you turned it into celebrating us It’s always us, it’s always you & me, the words you looked into my eyes and said to me, will NEVER leave my mind! You made this day perfect, you took my entire breathe away! I LOVE YOU ❤️ @PatrickMahomes pic.twitter.com/PIrptGZmmy— Brittany Matthews (@brittanylynne8) September 2, 2020
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!