Happy Hump Day, friends and fans!
On Wednesday, Oklahoma Sooners redshirt junior RB Kennedy Brooks was named to the 2020 Doak Walker Award watch list!
In the 30-year history of the Doak Walker Award, no Sooner has been named its recipient, despite a plethora of all-time greats at the position. Brooks will have an opportunity to become the first OU RB to win it if he can produce his best season to date.
Through his first two seasons on the field for OU, Brooks has racked up 2,067 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns on 274 carries. He eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark in each year, and is poised for another stellar campaign on the gridiron with an entire starting O-Line unit returning in front of him. Plus, as the offense ushers in a new starting QB, and Rhamondre Stevenson sits for however long for a suspension stemming from last Dec., expect the Mansfield, Texas native to shoulder an especially healthy share of the rushing load out of the gate.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Sooners five-star QB commit talks about his decision, Cedarian Lamb makes me want to root for Dallas, UT changes the name of its football field and more!
- ESPN’s David Hale recently caught up with Lincoln Riley, who shared more of his thoughts on the prospects of the 2020 college football season. While his Sooners deal with the ongoing effects of the coronavirus pandemic along with everyone else around the nation, the fourth-year head coach remains confident that games will be played. Whether that means this September or next spring, nothing is off the table as of yet.
Lincoln Riley confident there will be a college football season.— Sooner Gridiron (@soonergridiron) July 15, 2020
"Whether it's something we do in the fall, whether it's a shortened season, whether it's spring, there's nothing we should take off the table."#OUDNA | #BoomerSooner https://t.co/nbtCQHCgF8
- OUDNA is a thing, it’s real, and it’s here to stay. Whatever those guys are eating when they come through Oklahoma, I hope somebody keeps feeding it to them. So many all-time talents, and this list doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface.
- Oklahoma’s 2021 five-star QB commit Caleb Williams may be done being recruited, but he’s not done doing some recruiting of his own. He said as much in the clip below, and he also listed several reasons why he’s chosen to side with Lincoln Riley and the Sooners.
- OU senior CB Tre Brown broke up 13 passes in 2019, which leads all returning Big 12 defenders. He’s already one of the fastest players on the team, and with a second season under Alex Grinch, there’s a solid chance he could become an All-Conference level corner. Boomer!
Most pass breakups among Big 12 defenders last season:— PFF College (@PFF_College) July 15, 2020
➤ Tre Brown, Oklahoma - 13
➤ Trevon Moehrig, TCU - 12
➤ Kolby Harvell-Peel, Oklahoma St - 11 pic.twitter.com/tPMbp1eeu1
- In case you forgot, Austin Reaves is still that dude. And yes, after what he did at TCU, I’m still naming my unconceived son after him. What a baller.
- Check out this behind the scenes look at rookie WR CeeDee Lamb rocking his No. 88 Dallas Cowboys threads. The man appears like he was born for this.
- Make sure you check out the latest episode of the CCM Recruiting Podcast with your usual co-hosts Kamiar and Stephen. This week, the fellas discussed some news and nuggets regarding the Sooners on the recruiting trail, reminisced on their favorite moments from the past 10 years of Texas Football (lol), played a game of this-or-that and a whole lot more!
Around the Sports World
- The Texas Longhorns have officially changed the name of their football field from Joe Jamail Field to Campbell-Williams Field in honor of the program’s two Heisman Trophy winning running backs — Earl Campbell (‘77) and Ricky Williams (‘98).
At the request of the Jamail family, Joe Jamail Field will now be named in honor of our Longhorn Legends and Heisman Trophy winners Earl Campbell & Ricky Williams. The official name is now Campbell-Williams Field. #ThisIsTexas #HookEm pic.twitter.com/2fWUttzb6w— Texas Football (@TexasFootball) July 14, 2020
- DE Myles Garrett and the Cleveland Browns are reportedly reaching a five-year, $125 million contract extension, which should make him the highest paid defender in the NFL in terms of annual salary.
- The Atlanta Braves are reportedly signing OF Yasiel Puig days ahead of start of the 2020 MLB season. Terms of the deal have not yet been disclosed, and the team is waiting on the results of a physical to announce the signing officially.
- Recently, world famous big man Shaquille O’Neal assisted a Florida driver stranded on the side of a highway after one of her tires suddenly blew out. Shaq helped make sure she was safe before authorities arrived on the scene. Amazing stuff from a quality human being.
- Miami Heat star Jimmy Butler talks a big game on the court, but he usually backs it up with his work ethic and performance. There isn’t a better example of his dedication to his craft than this story from the Orlando bubble of how hotel security received a noise complaint because apparently the pro was dribbling a basketball while practicing in his room. Epic.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!