Oklahoma Sooners rising sophomore wide receiver Jadon Haselwood reportedly suffered a torn ACL during an at-home workout. The news was first reported by Sooner Scoop’s Carey Murdock, and another source has confirmed it to OU Insider’s Joey Helmer. This is rather unfortunate news for one of the more promising playmakers on the team going into the 2020 season.
As a true freshman in 2019, Haselwood quickly showcased his elite ability with the ball in his hands. For the season, the former No. 1 WR coming from the high school ranks hauled in 19 receptions for 272 yards and a touchdown.
After having to replace several pass catchers from last season’s team, namely CeeDee Lamb, Nick Basquine and Lee Morris, losing Haselwood comes at an even greater cost. On top of that, UCLA Bruins grad transfer WR Theo Howard suffered an Achilles injury in January that could have him sidelined into the fall. All this means is guys like Charleston Rambo, Theo Wease Jr. and eventually Trejan Bridges (unless his suspension from last December is lifted) will be leaned on even more heavily to help a young Spencer Rattler come into his role as Oklahoma’s next starting QB.
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! ‘Big Canada’ gets his Dallas jersey number, ‘Hollywood’ Brown downs Snoop Dogg in Madden, the draft viewership records have been re-written and more!
- Looking ahead to the 2021 NFL Draft, which current Oklahoma players are most likely to be selected as part of next year’s class? John Hoover of SI’s AllSooners offers his take.
- Dallas Cowboys rookie DT Neville Gallimore has been assigned the No. 75 jersey number, while teammate CeeDee Lamb is still determining which number he’ll don. Team owner Jerry Jones is on record in saying he wants Lamb to wear No. 88, but the wideout said after being drafted he’ll be wearing No. 10.
Cowboys rookie jersey numbers:— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) April 27, 2020
31 - Trevon Diggs
75 - Neville Gallimore
41 - Reggie Robinson II
63 - Tyler Biadasz
51 - Bradlee Anae
CeeDee Lamb still being determined. Lamb said after the draft he was going to wear 10. Jerry Jones said he wanted Lamb to wear 88
- A trio of Oklahoma men’s golf student-athletes were named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team on Monday. Boomer!
- On Sunday, the Miami Dolphins waived former OU running back Samaje Perine from the team. In three seasons, Oklahoma’s all-time leading rusher has been part of three different NFL teams.
- Former OU WR turned Baltimore Ravens star Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown defeated rap legend Snoop Dogg in the Madden Celebrity Tournament Championship this Sunday. Check out the fourth quarter highlights of the high-scoring contest.
Around the Sports World
- Now that the 2020 NFL Draft is in the books, SB Nation’s Dan Kadar has dished out grades for all 32 teams. While most organizations met their immediate needs fairly well, perhaps no team had a more perplexing draft than the Green Bay Packers.
- Speaking of the draft, even though its format had to be drastically altered due to the coronavirus pandemic, it shattered records with over 55 million viewers across a three-day span.
- The New Orleans Saints are expected to sign former Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston to a one-year deal.
- Kansas AD Jeff Long, along with Jayhawks coaches Bill Self and Les Miles, have announced they will each be taking a 10 percent salary reduction for six months starting on May 1. The university estimates savings should reach nearly $500,000 by the end of the measure.
- Several NHL teams have lent industrial sanitation devices to a repurposed General Motors plant in order to contribute to the mass production of protective face masks. With the hockey assist, the GM plant estimates it can now produce 3 million masks per month.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!