Following a brutal last-second loss to Texas, the Oklahoma Sooners are in need of a victory in order to avoid a considerable amount of stress on NCAA Selection Sunday. That win will have to come in Fort Worth against the TCU Horned Frogs, who were able to pull off a win against the Baylor Bears in the same venue just one week ago.
Last game of the regular season.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) March 7, 2020
Locked in on the challenge. pic.twitter.com/EmpWEKO1pg
Oklahoma (18-12, 8-9) vs. TCU (16-14, 7-10): 5 p.m. CT at Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena (Fort Worth, Texas)
Commentary: Chuckie Kempf and Tim Welsh
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Radio: Sooner Radio Network (107.7 FM The Franchise in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa; Tune In Radio App) with Tom Dore and Kevin Henry announcing
Line: TCU -1 (as of 2:45 p.m. CT)
- Entering Saturday, TCU is ranked No. 79 in Ken Pomeroy’s team efficiency ratings, sitting at No. 115 offensively and No. 67 defensively.
- The Horned Frogs have been playing some good basketball as of late, as they have put forth good showings against the league’s top two teams in back-to-back games. After topping Baylor in Fort Worth by a score of 75-72 this past Saturday, TCU hung tough against Kansas before falling by a score of 75-66 Wednesday evening.
- The Horned Frogs are led by 6’6” senior Desmond Bane, who is averaging 16.4 PPG, 6.3 RPG and 3.8 APG while hitting 43.4 percents of his three-point attempts.
- Big 12 Tournament seeding: Following the Kansas win over Texas Tech and the West Virginia win over Baylor, things come down to both OU’s game and the Texas/OSU game (3 p.m. CT, currently in progress as of publishing). If Texas and Oklahoma each win, Oklahoma will be the No. 4 seed and play Texas Tech. If Oklahoma wins and Texas loses, the Sooners will be the No. 3 seed and face West Virginia. If the Sooners lose, they’ll be the No. 7 seed and play Kansas State this coming Wednesday.
- Bracketology: As terrible as the Tuesday’s loss to Texas was, that alone will not be enough to end Oklahoma’s hopes of an NCAA Tournament bid. Both CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm and ESPN’s Joe Lunardi had the Sooners as a No. 10 seed entering Saturday. A win over TCU would pretty much seal the deal, while a loss would lead to a long week of stress.
- Doolittle still rolling: In his last eight games, senior forward Kristian Doolittle has scored at least 18 points on seven occasions while also averaging 20.1 points and 8.6 rebounds over that span. While the missed free throws late in the game obviously put a damper on the performance, Doolittle recorded a 20/10 double-double for the fourth time this season , which leads the Big 12.
Oklahoma 68, TCU 64