Happy Thursday, friends and fans!
Radio play-by-play man Toby Rowland recently caught up with the Oklahoma Sooners’ Lincoln Riley, and the head coach discussed the lack of a level playing field between conferences and how different programs have been allowed to assist their players during this time away from organized practices and team workouts.
.@LincolnRiley joined @TRowOU and discussed competitive balance in college football during the coronavirus pandemic.— SportsTalk1400 (@Sportstalk1400) March 26, 2020
"It’s a little bit all over the place. That hasn’t been a positive in that it’s not really been an equal playing field. We’ve got to level the playing field." pic.twitter.com/3WjPKFYAIF
Basically, the Big 12 prohibits coaches and trainers from providing workout space and equipment to their athletes while another conference like the ACC has given its teams the green light on such matters. It’s obviously something that the NCAA ought to step in and regulate (this is one of the rare occurrences in which you’ll hear me utter those words) at some point during this offseason.
For more from this interview between Riley and Rowland, check out the full podcast link below.
If you missed @OU_Football head coach @LincolnRiley with @TRowOU you can listen now on the podcast https://t.co/mPhwndH3wT— SportsTalk1400 (@Sportstalk1400) March 26, 2020
Now for today’s Hot Links! Oklahoma’s newest Heisman statues are coming together, the Belldozer is a Cowboy, the third NBA player to test positive for COVID-19 has reportedly ‘fully recovered’ and more!
- In the latest USA Today Sports preseason top 25, Oklahoma checked in at No. 6.
- Crimson & Cream Machine’s Jack Shields helped offer some insight on presumed starting QB Spencer Rattler to our friends over at Rocky Top Talk with OU and the Tennessee Volunteers preparing to clash once again in Norman on Saturday, Sept 12.
- The Heisman park statues for Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray are currently in progress, and recently it was revealed that each of the larger-than-life renditions of these immortalized Sooners will cost the University of Oklahoma $89,250. Worth it.
- Class of 2021 offensive guard Bryce Foster is widely regarded as one of the top high school prospects at his position in the nation, and as it appears right now Oklahoma leads all other contenders in his recruitment.
- Speaking of recruiting, OU Assistant Athletic Director for Recruiting Annie Hanson shared an important message to all recruits and their families with some great advice on things they can do during this unusual time to stay on top of their academic and athletic responsibilities.
Recruits and families, we are thinking of you all during this time.— Annie Hanson (@AnnieHanson_) March 25, 2020
Here are some quick recruiting tips to keep you encouraged! #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/i9FQila1YH
- The Dallas Cowboys have signed former Kansas City Chiefs TE and Super Bowl LIV champion Blake Bell. Congratulations, ‘Belldozer’!
The #DallasCowboys have agreed to terms with veteran TE Blake Bell.— Dallas Cowboys (@dallascowboys) March 25, 2020
MORE: https://t.co/mpcNdIWiLQ pic.twitter.com/VpFUd453S3
Around the Sports World
- The Netflix docuseries ‘Tiger King’ has stirred up a ton of conversation about the private ownership of exotic animals and all of the other amazing happenings surrounding ‘Joe Exotic’. In fact, even Shaq has established a long-term connection with the infamous ex-tiger breeder who now sits behind bars. It’s a story that continues to grow more wild at every turn.
Shaq’s relationship with Joe Exotic of ‘Tiger King’ included frequent visits and sponsored cubs. https://t.co/qdjTTCeIhj— SB Nation (@SBNation) March 26, 2020
- MLB commissioner Rob Manfred has revealed that the investigation on the Boston Red Sox and an alleged sign-stealing scheme during their 2018 World Series championship run has been completed and just needs to be written out before the results are released to the public.
- According to his agent, Detroit Pistons power forward Christian Wood has ‘fully recovered’ from his positive diagnosis with COVID-19. That’s certainly a good sign for other players around the league who have also tested positive for the virus.
- Tom Brady’s agent has filed for a trademark on ‘TB x TB’. It’s going to be more than a little strange seeing this six-time Super Bowl champ sporting a Tampa Bay Buccaneers jersey, but at least they’ve come up with a neat little marketing tool.
- Washington State Cougars redshirt senior safety Bryce Beekman, 22, was found dead in his apartment shortly after citing breathing problems. Actual cause of death is unknown for now, but a toxicology report should be available within the next two to three months.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers have now signed three former XFL players through free agency, including a defensive tackle, offensive tackle and a safety.
- Stadium’s Jeff Goodman asked over 300 Division 1 head basketball coaches what their favorite television shows and movies are to watch during this time of quarantine, and anybody who said a Marvel movie or ‘The Shawshank Redemption’ is now my new favorite coach.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!