Happy Thursday, friends and fans!
With this Saturday’s home game being between the Oklahoma Sooners and Baylor Bears, Teddy Lehman presented Lincoln Riley with a ‘Butkus Brain Teaser’ from one of the all-time classic matchups in the OU-BU series. Throwing it all the way back to 2015, the first year of Riley’s reign as play-caller, could the offensive-minded coach come up with another clutch recall? Watch and find out for yourself.
.@LincolnRiley has a better memory than @TedLehman11, but we already knew that.— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) December 3, 2020
Butkus Teaser pic.twitter.com/3MgaqULeDx
Riley’s ability to mentally retain singular plays from games more than five years in the past is truly remarkable. Back in the day, Baker Mayfield and Sterling Shepard connected on several incredible scoring plays, but considering the circumstances in Waco on that night, this one was definitely one of the more important connections.
Now for today’s Hot Links! Oklahoma’s youngest H-back has made a lot of noise, ‘Hollywood’ burns Pittsburgh’s secondary, Houston trades Russ West to the nation’s capitol and more!
- In some huge news pertaining to COVID-19 protocol, Joe Castiglione has announced that OU will adopt the CDC’s new contact tracing guidelines effective immediately. From now on, non-symptomatic individuals who test negative 48 hours before the end of the seventh day of quarantine will be good to go. This is an enormous development in terms of player and staff availability.
#Sooners AD Joe Castiglione says new CDC guidelines for contact tracing “effective immediately” as it relates to OU athletics. Will trim quarantine period (with a negative test) for players caught up in contact tracing— Ryan Aber (@ryaber) December 3, 2020
- Lon Kruger and the OU men’s basketball team are finally set to tip-off the 2020-21 season tonight against UTSA. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. CT on FSOK.
‼️ LET'S HOOP ‼️— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) December 3, 2020
⏰ 7 p.m. CT
Start at $10
- Take a look at Bob Stoops getting back into the swing of things at practice on Wednesday. This is actually one of the more awesome developments of 2020, even if it only lasts for a week or so.
Things you love to see: pic.twitter.com/bDCSvRWxaF— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) December 2, 2020
- The Dallas Morning News’ Destine Gibson offered her prediction on this weekend’s Oklahoma-Baylor matchup. Check it out to see if she has OU covering the spread or if she expects the Bears to make a game of it in Norman.
- SI Sooners’ Parker Thune recently wrote about how true freshman H-back Mikey Henderson has commanded attention on the field despite being surrounded by a plethora of seasoned offensive playmakers.
- In the Baltimore Ravens’ 19-14 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown recorded four catches for 85 yards and this amazing 70-yard touchdown.
.@McSorley_IX throw it on a DIME to @Primetime_jet— Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) December 2, 2020
First NFL TD pass for @McSorley_IX! pic.twitter.com/t1lSJzFyQG
Around the Sports World
- On Wednesday, the Houston Rockets completed a trade with the Washington Wizards, sending Russell Westbrook to D.C. in exchange for John Wall and a first-round draft pick. This move reunites the Brodie with Scott Brooks, his former head coach in Oklahoma City.
- In other NBA news, the Los Angeles Lakers have officially locked down Anthony Davis with a five-year, $190 million max contract. For the foreseeable future, it would appear that AD and LeBron James are going to rule the Western Conference.
- The No. 13 BYU Cougars have stepped in as a replacement team to take on the No. 18 Coastal Carolina Chanticleers in a battle of unbeatens this Saturday at 4:30 p.m. CT. ESPN’s College GameDay is set to host this intriguing matchup with College Football Playoff implications.
- This weekend’s game between the Michigan Wolverines and Maryland Terrapins has been canceled due to COVID safety protocols limiting UM’s available personnel.
- UCF Knights senior QB McKenzie Milton has elected to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal after making a full recovery following a devastating leg injury he suffered in 2018.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!