Happy Monday, friends and fans!
OU is without question today’s QBU. This past Sunday, a trio of former Oklahoma Sooners not only started for their respective NFL teams at the quarterback position, they each went out and produced at a high level.
Oklahoma's last 3 QBs this weekend— PFF College (@PFF_College) December 21, 2020
♨️ Baker Mayfield: 92.2 grade (1st)
♨️ Kyler Murray: Eight 20+ yard plays (1st)
♨️ Jalen Hurts: 37.8 fantasy points (1st) pic.twitter.com/m5wLjvIzkw
In the afternoon, Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts went head-to-head as the Arizona Cardinals hosted the Philadelphia Eagles. In just the second start of his rookie campaign, Hurts ignited Philly’s offense with his arm and his legs, accounting for 401 yards of total offense and four touchdowns (three passing, one rushing). Despite Jalen’s big day, the Cards secured the 33-26 win thanks in large part to K1’s 435 yards of total offense and four TDs.
To end the night, Baker Mayfield led the Cleveland Browns to a 20-6 victory over the New York Giants, and in doing so, the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner posted some incredibly efficient stats. He completed a staggering 27 of 32 pass attempts for 297 yards and a pair of scores. With just two games remaining, Baker’s Brownies are on the cusp of officially clinching a berth in the NFL Playoffs for the first time since the 2002 season.
Recruiting QBs and offensive talent in general only becomes that much easier for Lincoln Riley and his staff when his star pupils are some of the league’s most exciting and productive players in the game.
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! A pair of Sooners hit the portal, an Oklahoma DB is headed to the Senior Bowl, Charlie Brewer is now a Ute and more!
- On Sunday, redshirt sophomore QB Tanner Mordecai announced his decision to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal after being with the OU program for the past three seasons. Personally, I’ll always remember him for how he stepped up when his number was called in the Red River Showdown. If it weren’t for his readiness and composure, there’s a good chance the Sooners suffer a devastating loss to Texas. Good luck wherever you go, Tanner!
Thank you OU football and sooner nation for the past 3 years. Forever grateful for my time here. I have now entered the transfer portal. Excited to see what God has in store for me.— Tanner Mordecai (@t_mordecai) December 20, 2020
- On Monday, junior RB T.J Pledger also announced his intentions on entering the transfer portal. In three seasons, the IMG Academy product recorded 695 rushing yards and six touchdowns on 135 total carries.
Thank you Sooner Nation for an amazing 3 years. Thank you Coach Riley and Coach Murray for believing in me this year. I have decided to enter the Transfer Portal. GODSPEED— TJ Pledger IV (@uno_tj) December 21, 2020
- OU CB Tre Brown has accepted an invite to the 2021 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama. This annual pre-draft event has often helped prospects improve their draft stock as it allows the players to showcase their talent and skill set in front of NFL team scouts and coaches. Congratulations, Tre!
- Redshirt sophomore RUSH LB Nik Bonitto has been named to Pro Football Focus’ First Team All-American Defensive Line. Now he can set this accolade right next to his All-Big 12 honorable mention.
First-Team All-American Defensive Line pic.twitter.com/FziIE1pb5I— PFF College (@PFF_College) December 21, 2020
- Rookie WR CeeDee Lamb is known for his elite ability to make plays after the catch, and that’s not limited to just receptions on offense. In the Dallas Cowboys’ 41-33 win over the San Francisco 49ers, the former Sooner housed a failed on-side kick attempt 47 yards to the end zone. I wouldn’t expect anything less from a guy whose name rhymes with TD.
- Also from that Dallas win, former Oklahoma DT Neville Gallimore absolutely destroyed 49ers RB Raheem Mostert near the goal line for a loss on the play. They don’t call him ‘Big Canada’ for nothing.
Around the Sports World
- The first bowl game of the year is already here! Today, kicking off at 1:30 p.m. CT, the Appalachian State Mountaineers will take on the North Texas Mean Green in the inaugural Myrtle Beach Bowl in Conway, South Carolina — home of the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
MAKING IT OFFICIAL!! Congratulations to @Appstate_FB and @meangreenFB on accepting their invitation to the inaugural Myrtle Beach Bowl!— Myrtle Beach Bowl Game (@MBBowlGame) December 14, 2020
The game will be played at Brooks Stadium on December 21, 2020 at 2:30 PM ET. #mbbowlgame#BowlSeason#meangreen#goApp pic.twitter.com/zZDfdHGmi0
- Former Baylor Bears QB Charlie Brewer has announced his decision to transfer to the Utah Utes as a graduate transfer and will be immediately eligible to play for UU in 2021.
- On Sunday, Kansas City Chiefs rookie RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire reportedly suffered hip and ankle injuries during KC’s 32-29 win over the New Orleans Saints. The talented back is expected to miss the remainder of the regular season, and could possibly return by the start of the 2021 NFL Postseason.
- After two years on the job, the Carolina Panthers have reportedly parted ways with general manager Marty Hurney.
- The Utah Jazz have signed center Rudy Gobert to a five-year, $205 million contract extension, which is the biggest deal ever for a big man.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!