Happy Tuesday, friends and fans!
Not enough can be said for the late Billy Tubbs. The iconic Oklahoma Sooners men’s basketball coach made a lasting impression on everyone around him. This week, John Rohde compiled personal stories from some notable names around the game.
There's so much you could say about Billy Tubbs...so @RohdeOK compiled some great stories from @ttrebound, @BoOverton, @Stacey21King, Bill Raftery and John Underwood.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) November 9, 2020
➡️ https://t.co/olnATVF4oU pic.twitter.com/zMKiQUUjrj
Among these stories, you’ll hear from Tubbs’ son, Tommy, two former Sooners in Bo Overton and Stacey King, former coach and TV commentator Bill Raftery, and John Underwood, former OU associate AD.
It’s stories like these and the countless others that continue to be shared that will keep Billy Tubbs’ memory alive for generations to come. His impact on college basketball was and continues to be immeasurable.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! A former Sooner inks a sweet NFL deal, OU’s top ‘21 commit talks living in Oklahoma, ‘Big Ben’ is temporarily placed on Pittsburgh’s reserve/COVID list and more!
- Why did Lincoln Riley have to flex on us like this? Answer — because he’s one bad dude with a fist full of rings and a trunk overflowing with trophies. It’s ‘Championship November’, baby. Boomer!
- Oklahoma’s defensive line is playing as well as the unit has played in a long while. Guys likes Perrion Winfrey, Isaiah Thomas and Ronnie Perkins are wreaking absolute havoc in opposing backfields, and for the last month, the production has been consistent. Against Kansas, the war daddies up front graded out as the highest D-line in the nation.
Highest-graded P5 defensive lines in Wk 10— PFF College (@PFF_College) November 10, 2020
Oklahoma - 91.3
Oklahoma State - 84.7
Texas A&M - 80.3
Ohio State - 80.3 pic.twitter.com/vsVXmMKej9
- The Tulsa World’s Eric Bailey wrote about how Oklahoma plans to harness the momentum its built on the field over the last few weeks and carry it into Bedlam following an off week.
- SI Sooners John Hoover relays Lincoln Riley’s thoughts he shared during Monday’s weekly teleconference, specifically regarding the areas his team has made the most progress since the 1-2 start to the 2020 season.
- Former OU grad transfer receiver Jeff Badet recently signed to the Washington Football Team’s active roster via its practice squad. Congratulations, JB!
- 2021 five-star QB commit Caleb Williams has penned another blog entry for his ‘All on the Line’ series with SI, and this week he detailed his experiences with being a new resident in the Sooner State and attending his second OU game ever last Saturday against the Kansas Jayhawks.
- In case you missed it, check out Kamiar and Stephen break everything down from Oklahoma’s win over KU and more in this week’s CCM Postgame Podcast. With Bedlam on the horizon, the return of several key impact players has the Sooners riding a wave of momentum. Plus, the defense is putting together solid performances that could lead this team to the Big 12 title game. As a usual warning, this pod does contain some NSFW language.
Around the Sports World
- Four Pittsburgh Steelers players have been placed on the team’s reserve/COVID list for contact tracing protocol, including veteran starting QB Ben Roethlisberger.
- This weekend’s game between the Mississippi State Bulldogs and the Auburn Tigers has been postponed to Dec. 12 due to rising COVID-19 cases within MSU’s program.
- A fourth player for the Iowa Hawkeyes has recently entered the NCAA Transfer Portal in the just last two weeks. DB and return specialist Daraun McKinney now joins RB Shadrick Byrd, LB Yahweh Jeudy and WR Calvin Lockett in exiting Kirk Ferentz’s program shortly after Big Ten play kicked-off.
- The Duke Blue Devils will not have fan attendance for home games inside Cameron Indoor Stadium during the 2020-21 college basketball season due to COVID-19 concerns.
- The National Basketball Association has finally reached an agreement for several major dates in the coming month. On Nov. 18, the 2020 NBA Draft will be held. Two days later will mark the start of free agency. Training camp is scheduled to open on Dec. 1, then on Dec. 22, the 2020-21 NBA season will officially tip-off.
- In today’s practice round, Jon Rahm skipped it across the water on 16 at Augusta for an ace. Lord have mercy.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!