Happy Thursday, friends and fans!
If you’re a fan of the Oklahoma Sooners and you live in the 21st century, chances are pretty good you’ve heard of the OU stat legend himself — Blinkin Riley. On Thursday, Blinkin dug deep into the spirit of the Red River Rivalry by dunking on Texas Longhorns coach Tom Herman so hard, he actually became a trending topic on Twitter’s platform.
Blinkin Riley accomplished this by sharing a series of statements that make Herman such a unique and charming individual. Of course, it’s all in good fun. If you’re a Texas fan and you take offense to any of the things being said about your coach today, relax and enjoy the shade.
Tom Herman pours the milk before the cereal— Blinkin Riley (@blinkinriley) October 8, 2020
C&C Machine contributor Allen Kenney tweeted out his own Herman note. I’d actually be appalled if this were true, but this is solid work from AK.
Tom Herman prefers Darius Rucker’s solo work— Allen Kenney (@BlatantHomerism) October 8, 2020
Kamiar Mehrabian also dished on Herman’s peculiarity. We all know this kind of guy, and we all do our best to avoid him in public places whenever possible.
Tom Herman thinks "See you next year" jokes at New Year's Eve parties are funny.— K. Mehrabian (@KMehrabianCCM) October 8, 2020
Finally, Jack decided to chime in with the official account.
Tom Herman enjoys Big 12 Media Days— Crimson & Scream Machine (@CCMachine) October 8, 2020
Tom Herman lost to Maryland twice.— Crimson & Scream Machine (@CCMachine) October 8, 2020
Am I doing this right?
Hit up the interwebs for hilarious Tom Herman-isms, and one more thing. And yes, it has gotten to the point that ‘Tom Herman’ is trending on Twitter.
Tom Herman is trending #1 in the country. Clicked on it thinking he said something dumb, something dumb happened because Texas, or the Texans want to hire him, because Texans.— Nathan Deal (@NattyD13) October 8, 2020
It’s entirely just insulting tweets from Oklahoma fans.
Tom Herman doesn't give the kid the foul ball at a baseball game— Blinkin Riley (@blinkinriley) October 8, 2020
Tom Herman puts his cast iron skillet in the dishwasher.— Oklahoma Blonde (@oklahomaishome) October 8, 2020
Tom Herman has a joint Facebook Acct with his wife.— Martymus (@Martymus1) October 8, 2020
Carrington: Tom, you’re trending on Twitter— Mark (@markaduck) October 8, 2020
Tom: Not again ...
Carrington: *shows Tom a tweet*
Tom: WHAT’S WRONG WITH JOURNEY?!?!#BeatTexas
Tom Herman stands still on the moving walkway at the airport.— Brandon Williamson (@BJWtweets) October 8, 2020
Tom Herman pinches his nose when he shoots whisky— The Notorious S.C.H.M.I.G. (@JonDavidSchmig) October 8, 2020
Tom Herman asks for change at the church offering.— Crazy (Sooner) Craig (@CRobbins25) October 8, 2020
Tom Herman claps when the plane lands.— Mr. Pilkington (@Onikuno) October 8, 2020
Tom Herman takes glass bottles of Smirnoff Ice to the pool— Blinkin Riley (@blinkinriley) October 8, 2020
Tom Herman waves to funeral processions.— Caleb Koos (@Koos_C) October 8, 2020
Now for today’s Hot Links! OU’s defense is focused on improving, the Sooners aim to run the ball with intent, the MAC is back and more!
- 2021 four-star WR Billy Bowman announced his decommitment from the Texas Longhorns on Wednesday evening, and many recruiting experts now believe Oklahoma is in the lead to land the nation’s No. 33 overall prospect.
- Through the first two games of Big 12 play, OU’s defensive performance has been downright awful. Perhaps the only good sign is that the players have owned their mediocre play. Still, corrections need to be made now, not later. SI Sooners’ Parker Thune has more.
- Speaking of those corrections, the Sooners’ tackling is an issue that needs to be addressed with the utmost urgency. Alex Grinch still believes in his system, but he also realizes he needs to adapt to find a working solution. The Norman Transcript’s Joe Buettner has more.
- True freshman WR Marvin Mims has been an instant boost to Oklahoma’s receiving corps, and according to his coaches and teammates, he’s just getting started on achieving his potential. SI Sooners’ Parker Thune has more.
- According to CBS Sports’ Josh Edwards, redshirt junior center Creed Humphrey is projected to go 31st overall to the New York Jets in the 2021 NFL Draft.
- Speaking of Humphrey, he understands exactly what OU needs to do on Saturday to win against Texas. It’s the same formula that has proven successful in just about every matchup between these two teams. Oklahoma needs to run the ball early, often, and effectively. SI Sooners’ John Hoover has more.
- OU Softball is back, everybody! This Friday, Patty Gasso and the Sooners will hold a ‘Red’ vs. ‘Gray’ intrasquad scrimmage at 4 p.m. CT. Check out the link in the tweet to see how you can catch all the action from the park.
- It’s almost here, folks. The 2020 edition of the Red River Showdown is nearly upon us. It’s not Saturday yet, but I can practically feel the excitement (and the nerves) already. Boomer!
- Make sure you check out Allen’s latest episode of the Blatant Homerism Podcast. This week, ESPN’s Bomani Jones joins the pod to preview this year’s OU-Texas game. The two also discuss the rise of student-athlete empowerment. It’s a heck of a conversation, and you’ll definitely want to give it a listen before Saturday’s big game.
Around the Sports World
- On Thursday, the Kansas Jayhawks announced that head coach Les Miles, 66, has contracted COVID-19. If all goes well during his recovery, he should be able to return to the sideline by Oct. 17.
- Dallas Cowboys LT Tyron Smith is gathering medical opinions on an existing neck injury to see if he needs to be shut down for the remainder of the 2020 season or if he will be able to make a return later this year.
- Earlier this week, the Mid-American Conference released a six-game, conference-only schedule set to kick off on Wednesday, Nov. 4.
- Baltimore Ravens QB Lamar Jackson sat out of his team’s practice on Wednesday due to a reported knee injury that is currently not considered to be serious.
- It looks like the Los Angeles Lakers are going with their special ‘Black Mamba’ uniforms for Game Five of the 2020 NBA Finals. This postseason, L.A. is 4-0 when wearing the Kobe Bryant designed and inspired threads. On Friday, the Lakers will look to close out the Miami Heat for all the marbles.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!