Happy Hump Day, friends and fans!
On Wednesday, former Oklahoma Sooners RB and current Cincinnati Bengals star Joe Mixon was named the AFC Offensive Player of Week Four for his outstanding performance in a win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
With 31 total touches, Mixon amassed 181 yards (151 rushing, 30 receiving) from scrimmage and scored three touchdowns. Below are the highlights from his sensational day that also led to the Bengals’ first victory of the 2020 season.
On the season, Joe Mixon’s 315 rushing yards currently ranks fifth in the league among all running backs, and he’s currently on pace to rush for the most yards of his four-year NFL career.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Oklahoma needs to be more physical than Texas, Lincoln Riley expects team practices to change, Hurricane Delta forces Louisiana-based football teams to migrate and more!
- If you’re planning on attending this year’s Red River Showdown/Shootout/Rivalry/whatever, make sure you read up on all the game day changes, policies and requirements before you make the trip to the Cotton Bowl.
- History is not on Spencer Rattler’s side when it comes to this year’s Red River matchup. As the far less experienced QB in this game compared to Texas Longhorns veteran Sam Ehlinger, Rattler will have to buck the trend that usually sees the more experienced signal-caller victorious, writes SI Sooners’ John Hoover.
- Those who are familiar with the OU-Texas rivalry understand that the team that plays with more physicality typically comes out on top in this storied matchup. Unfortunately for OU, establishing a physical presence is one of the areas that has given it the most trouble this season. If that trend continues on Saturday, the result won’t be pretty, writes the Norman Transcript’s Joe Buettner.
- Through my crimson-colored lenses, these numbers are particularly tough to swallow. Oklahoma’s defense has, for the most part, played some decent football in the first half of games this season, but all of that applause-worthy play seemingly goes out the window once they reach the third quarter. Some serious soul-searching needs to happen within the program, and soon.
#Sooners Defense may want to consider switching to a different halftime snack.— Cayden McFarland (@caydenmc) October 7, 2020
222 yards allowed (2.8/play)
11 punts forced
556 yards allowed (7.0/play)
3 punts forced
- Speaking of making changes, Lincoln Riley recently mentioned that amendments will be made to the way OU practices. Additionally, addressing the defense’s poor tackling fundamentals is now at the forefront of the coaching staff’s agenda, writes SI Sooners’ John Hoover.
- Make sure you check out this week’s Oklahoma Breakdown Podcast episode with Jack, Kamiar and Stephen. This time around, the guys discussed everything that’s gone wrong with the 2020 Sooners. Also, Burnt Orange Nation’s Gerald Goodridge stopped by to offer his take on the upcoming Red River shindig. Be warned, this pod does contain some NSFW language.
Around the Sports World
- The Washington Football Team has decided to bench starting QB Dwayne Haskins in favor of Kyle Allen for at least the upcoming matchup versus the Los Angeles Rams. Reportedly, the move is performance-based.
- The NFL is exploring options for moving the upcoming game between the Los Angeles Chargers and New Orleans Saints due to Hurricane Delta. One option that is being considered is playing the game inside Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
- In other Hurricane Delta related news, the LSU Tigers’ upcoming home game against the Missouri Tigers is now a road game due to the increased severe weather threat level. The teams will now meet on Mizzou’s home field in Columbia.
- Houston Rockets guard Russell Westbrook reportedly left an $8,000 tip for the hotel staff that tended to his room during his stay inside the NBA bubble in Orlando. Just a solid gesture from a solid dude.
- On Tuesday, LeBron James led the Los Angeles Lakers to a 102-96 win over the Miami Heat in Game Four of the 2020 NBA Finals, pushing L.A. out to a commanding 3-1 series lead.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!