Happy Monday, friends and fans!
Tonight, former Oklahoma Sooners Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray leads his Arizona Cardinals (3-2) in a homecoming of sorts against the Dallas Cowboys (2-3) on Monday Night Football. All-time, K1 is 4-0 as a starter inside AT&T Stadium, winning three Texas HS State Championships and most recently the 2018 Big 12 Championship Game.
Back to the ol' stomping grounds. pic.twitter.com/hXh2lrcIPl— Arizona Cardinals (@AZCardinals) October 18, 2020
On the other side, Murray will face a pair of former OU teammates in WR CeeDee Lamb and DT Neville Gallimore. Also suiting up for Dallas is the ‘Belldozer’ himself — TE Blake Bell.
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! Still no official word on the stats of OU’s suspended trio, AD reaches another milestone, major league baseball is nearing the end of an unprecedented season and more!
- Oklahoma’s Halloween game at Texas Tech is officially set for an under-the-lights kick-off. On Oct. 31, the Sooners will take on the Red Raiders in Lubbock at 7 p.m. CT on FOX.
- Lincoln Riley apparently still hasn’t received an official ruling from the NCAA on the suspension status of WR Trejan Bridges, DE Ronnie Perkins or RB Rhamondre Stevenson. Originally, the three Sooners were expected to miss half of a typical regular season’s worth of games, which would have been six, but considering this is a shortened campaign, some theorized that penalty would be adjusted accordingly. If these players are truly still unavailable by Saturday, this weekend’s meeting with TCU will be the sixth contest they’ve missed going back to the 2019 Peach Bowl semifinal.
Lincoln Riley: Stevenson, Bridges, Perkins "still ongoing. yet to be determined."#Sooners— John E. Hoover (@johnehoover) October 19, 2020
- Speaking of Riley, he also recently talked about how Oklahoma used this past off-week to clean up the little things that have troubled the team at times during the first four games of the season, writes SI Sooners’ John Hoover.
- Adrian Peterson ran for his 113th career rushing touchdown on Sunday during the Detroit Lions’ 34-16 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. AD now ranks fourth all-time in the NFL in career rushing TDs.
- It’s TCU Horned Frogs week for Oklahoma, and in case you missed it, Kamiar Mehrabian dropped an episode of the CCM “Postgame” Podcast previewing Gary Patterson’s bunch and what he expects to see from this matchup. Also, he discussed the recent Justin Harrington tweet that alluded to OU’s suspended players possibly making their return to the field this weekend. Check it out, folks, you won’t want to miss this one.
- In case you missed it, BreakingT designer Nick Torres came up with this sweet Red River themed t-shirt to commemorate Oklahoma’s epic four-OT win over Texas. Not only will the Sooners retain the Golden Hat Trophy for another year, but the river that borders these two states indeed still runs red. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate one of the wildest games in the history of the series than to add this baby to your OU wardrobe right away!
After four overtimes and a bunch of missed holding calls, Oklahoma still reigns supreme over Texas in the Red River Shootout/Rivalry/Showdown/whatever.— Crimson & Scream Machine (@CCMachine) October 12, 2020
Get yourself a t-shirt to celebrate the occasion! #Sooners https://t.co/gnMIdxEj6x
Around the Sports World
- Before Arizona and Dallas take the field tonight, there’s bonus action in the NFL this Monday night between the Kansas City Chiefs (4-1) and Buffalo Bills (4-1). Will Patrick Mahomes and company bounce back from last week’s surprising loss, or is another upset waiting for them in the Queen City? Kick-off is set for 4 p.m. CT on FOX.
- The Tennessee Volunteers have fired first year defensive line coach and co-DC Jimmy Brumbaugh one day after the Vols were thrashed at home against the Kentucky Wildcats.
- Tennessee Titans are undefeated thanks in large part to their strong offensive line play and powerful running game. Unfortunately, the team will have to move forward the rest of this season without the services of starting left tackle Taylor Lewan, who suffered a torn ACL in a win over the Houston Texans.
- Charles Barkley is set to team up with Phil Mickelson against the high-profile duo of Peyton Manning and Stephen Curry in the Champion’s for Change charity match on Nov. 27.
- It’s official. The Los Angeles Dodgers have won the National League for the third time in the last four MLB postseasons, and are now set to face the American League winning Tampa Bay Rays in the 2020 World Series. First pitch for Game One is scheduled for Tuesday at 7:09 p.m. CT on FOX.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!