Happy Hump Day, friends and fans!
Check out Oklahoma Sooners DL Neville Gallimore going head-to-head against Kansas Jayhawks OL Hakeem Adeniji. For a man with his size, he sure can twist and scoot at a remarkably high level. The reviews are starting to roll in, and they’re raving over Gallimore aka Big Canada aka The Canadian Bulldozer.
DL to keep tabs on at the @seniorbowl— Hogg (@HoggNFL) January 22, 2020
Neville Gallimore (@Path2Greatwork)
1st put on my radar months back by @BenFennell_NFL pointing out his max effort.
Clear day 1 practice winner. Lincoln Riley was quoted saying his best football lies ahead of him.pic.twitter.com/QQTkBEDKZX
Pro Football Network’s AJ Schulte tabbed Gallimore as one of five former Big 12 players at this year’s Senior Bowl who should see their draft stock rise following the event. Reportedly, it’s been a combination of his size, quickness and improving technique that’s impressing scouts.
Several notable mock drafts have left Gallimore out of their first round projections, but if he continues to soar in practice and stands out in combine and/or pro day settings, there’s a real chance he could work himself into a second-round selection if not a Day One pick.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! The Sooners have the track record to produce the Big 12’s best offense in 2020, Oklahoma softball is picking up where it left off after last season’s run in the WCWS, there’s no love lost as a brawl breaks out in the Sunflower State Showdown and more!
- Jason Kersey broke down Oklahoma’s team as it’s currently constructed from a scholarship perspective, as well as projected the depth charts for the defense and special teams. You must be subscribed to The Athletic to enjoy the full article, but it’s a worthwhile investment for those of you who can’t get enough quality Sooner content to consume.
- Despite having to replace CeeDee Lamb and all of his greatness in addition to breaking in a new starting QB, will Oklahoma field the top offense in the Big 12 this fall once again? The Cowboys return a three-headed monster in RB Chuba Hubbard, WR Tylan Wallace and QB Spencer Sanders, and the Longhorns will have a highly experienced Sam Ehlinger to lean on.
- Speaking of Lamb, Allen Kenney shared his thoughts on which players in the Big 12 will replace some early departures over at Athlon Sports. There are at least a couple candidates who could assume CeeDee’s place on the field, and MIKE LB Kenneth Murray’s role will also need to be filled.
- Where does Lincoln Riley rank among college football coaching bonuses earned in 2019? By winning the Big 12 Championship and returning to the College Football Playoff, he made quite a bit of extra cheddar for himself.
- OU has welcomed 11 early-enrollees from this recruiting cycle. Check out the new names and positions that the Sooners will have fresh competition from as spring ball approaches.
- FloSoftball released its preseason top 25 rankings for 2020, and the Sooners check in at No. 2 just behind UCLA. It’s a fitting start considering these two programs played for the WCWS title last summer. Also, Texas and Oklahoma State are both in the top 10, showing a lot of respect for the top of the Big 12 Conference.
Around the Sports World
- The Kansas Jayhawks blew out in-state rival Kansas State Wildcats on Tuesday night, but the story of the game is all about the conclusion when a team-wide brawl broke out. Tension and competition are natural fuel for a rivalry, but this one went a bit too far. Suspensions and other consequences for both sides are likely imminent.
Benches emptied at the end of the Kansas State-Kansas game. pic.twitter.com/zWv46h3RJC— ESPN (@espn) January 22, 2020
- New York Yankees legend Derek Jeter was announced as a member of the 2020 Hall of Fame class, and would have been a unanimous selection if not for one anonymous voter leaving him off of their ballot. Still, it’s a tremendous honor for a generational ball player.
- Another day, another installment in Bill Connelly’s top 100 games of the 2019 college football season. This time, he brings us the games ranked Nos. 60-41. There are some definite doozies in this bunch.
- ESPN’s David Hale took notes from the 2019-20 college football bowl season, and he’s come up with a list of possible overreactions that fans and analysts will probably run with as the offseason progresses. Stop me if you’ve never heard this one before — Texas is back.
- The New Orleans Pelicans’ Zion Williamson is making his NBA regular season debut tonight at 8:30 p.m. CT against the San Antonio Spurs. Chances are good that this will be the story everyone is talking about Thursday morning, so try not to miss out on what could be a historic night for basketball in 2020.
ZION'S NBA DEBUT— NBA (@NBA) January 22, 2020
#1 overall NBA Draft pick @Zionwilliamson and the @PelicansNBA host the Spurs at 9:30pm/et on ESPN!
: “Cherry Blossom Riot” by @ZandyrOfficial | @unitedmasters
: https://t.co/UmMTqaGrGz pic.twitter.com/MvMeeLuJPu
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!