Happy Monday, friends and fans!
Classes resume this week for the spring semester at the University of Oklahoma, and Lon Kruger and his Oklahoma Sooners have a big one on deck this Tuesday. Returning from a two-game road trip, including a nice win over Texas in Austin and a poor showing against Iowa State in Ames, the stage is now set for OU to host the formidable Kansas Jayhawks. The hoops head coach has a message for all fans and students who plan on filling the LNC.
Our home court advantage starts with the students!— Lon Kruger (@LonKruger) January 13, 2020
We need the LNC as loud as possible on Tuesday against Kansas. Get there early and make a difference all night long.
After starting Big 12 play 2-1, this is one of those games on the schedule that can either propel this team forward or pull it back from all momentum and conference contention. If that’s not enough of an incentive for Sooner Nation to show up and show out, remember that legendary mascot Top Daug is also making his return to the court on this night.
No matter the outcome, this is setting up to be quite a memorable night already, but it could be made all the more special with a win over Bill Self and his vaunted KU crew. Boomer!
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! Gabe Brkic receives freshman AA recognition, OUDNA goes off in Kansas City, Jimmy Johnson is headed to the hall and more!
- Speaking of the big game, if you’re a student and you have plans to attend this OU-KU contest, just be one of the first 500 students there and you’ll receive an awesome Boom Squad cap on the house!
GIVEAWAY ALERT‼️— BoomSquad (@OUBoomSquad) January 13, 2020
FIRST 500 Students get a
BoomSquad tomorrow night!
Hey @OU_TopDaug we’ll save one for you too! @OU_MBBall vs. Kansas
⏰ Tuesday 8PM #YouBelongHere #createtheculture pic.twitter.com/w5Ci6NBtIU
- According to Washington State 247Sports affiliate CougFan, Oklahoma DC Alex Grinch has declined an interview with the Washington State Cougars. That’s more relief on the minds of Sooner fans as the offseason moves along.
- Kicker Gabe Brkic was named a FWAA Freshman All-American for his perfect 2019 season. After not starting the first few games of the season, the Chardon, Ohio native was pressed into duty and proceeded to make all 17 field goal attempts and 52 extra points over the last 11 games. That’s 69 out of 69 successful place kicks! Nicely done, Gabe. Very nice, indeed.
The only FBS kicker to make all of his FG & PAT attempts in 2019. The first OU kicker ever to end a season perfect. @TheFWAA Freshman All-American— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) January 13, 2020
➡️ https://t.co/NNGLCTgk0I #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/aLdDiMAPDV
- Jadon Haselwood is still out here looking like a beast ready to be unleashed. I almost feel sorry for all the turf and DBs he’s going to scorch this year.
- OU Baseball is ranked No. 24 in D1Baseball’s preseason top 25. The Sooners return the bulk of their best pitchers and batters from a year ago after just missing out on the postseason. The season begins on Valentine’s Day next month against Virginia in the Wahoos Classic.
- On Sunday, former OU WR Kenny Stills got all the scoring started with this wide-open 54-yard strike when his Houston Texans took on the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Divisional Round.
- After the Texans jumped out to a 24-nothing lead in the second quarter, the Chiefs flipped the script entirely en route to an epic comeback for the ages. KC’s scoring also began with a former Sooner in running back Damien Williams. It was an especially big day for D-Will, who found the end zone a total of three times.
- Former OU QB-turned TE Blake Bell recorded his first TD of the season after receiving this eight-yard pass from Patrick Mahomes in the fourth quarter. For the Wichita, Kansas native, that must have felt pretty good for Bell.
Around the Sports World
- The 2019 college football season is coming to a close tonight as the unbeaten No. 1 LSU Tigers and undefeated No. 3 Clemson Tigers meet in New Orleans for all the marbles. The CFP National Championship kicks off at 7 p.m. CT on ESPN.
FINALLY!— College Football Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) January 13, 2020
: CFP National Championship
: @LSUfootball vs. @ClemsonFB
: New Orleans, LA
️: Mercedes-Benz Superdome
⏰: 7 p.m. CT
: @ESPN #CFBPlayoff x #NationalChampionship#GeauxTigers x #ALLIN pic.twitter.com/QCMGiAwDhb
- On Monday morning, junior Baylor Bears DT James Lynch announced his decision to forgo his senior season and declare for the 2020 NFL Draft. The Round Rock, Texas native was named the 2019 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, D-Lineman of the Year, and First Team All-Big 12.
- On Sunday, the Cleveland Browns hired their next head coach in former Minnesota Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski. Will he last more than a season? Stay tuned.
- Incredible moment for legendary two-time Super Bowl champion and Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson when he learned that he has finally been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His reaction is priceless, and his impact on the game has not gone unnoticed. Congratulations, Coach.
Former @dallascowboys head coach @JimmyJohnson has been elected to the @ProFootballHOF as a member of the Class of 2020.— NFL (@NFL) January 13, 2020
Incredible moment as he finds out he is now a Hall of Famer. #PFHOF20 (via @NFLonFOX) pic.twitter.com/EydJ1GDX8Y
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!