Happy Friday, friends and fans!
The Heisman House commercials can be hit or miss, and that even applies to those that feature Oklahoma Sooners like Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. This latest one, however, definitely sticks the landing and then some. Enjoy.
Notice the Oakland Athletics color scheme going on with Murray’s attire? Some subtle nudging taking place there. It’s nice to know that Eddie George, Tim Brown, Baker Mayfield, Marcus Mariota and Derrick Henry are all so concerned for the rookie’s whereabouts. Of course, Bo Jackson has already earned the privilege of doing whatever he wants, like playing two sports at the highest level.
The real kicker of the ad unexpectedly comes from Tim Tebow, a fellow baseball man himself (minor leaguer). He’s not as bent-out-of-shape over Murray’s choices as the others, but that kind of antagonism calls for a neck pillow to the face.
Just remember Kyler, don’t sweat the small stuff. You’ll win over your Heisman House family eventually, slugger.
Now onto this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! CeeDee Lamb counts on his teammates with so much attention on him, Bob Stoops and Toby Keith play with the same handicap, Avonte Maddox is doing okay after being carted off Lambeau Field and more!
- Less than 24 hours from now, Oklahoma will kick off Big 12 play against the Texas Tech Red Raiders. As an annual tradition, check out the crimson colored end zones marking the start of conference play! That’s way too clean.
- Speaking of tomorrow’s game, Lincoln Riley spoke about how the team has operated over the last couple weeks. The time off has allowed the coaches more time to prepare, while also giving the players a chance to take a short break before hitting the ground running in practice.
- Sooners Wire’s Kegan Reneau wrote about junior WR CeeDee Lamb and how he’s handling being the focal point of defensive coordinators. While so far it’s resulted in his numbers not being the most prolific on the team, the future NFL wideout understands the problem is a good one to have for the rest of the offense.
- Bob Stoops was at the 6th annual Schooner Fall Classic women’s golf tournament hosted by Toby Keith and his wife Tricia to partake in all the pre-event festivities. He took some time to talk about his own golf game, and also settled the score on who has the better game between he and Keith.
- There’s been a lot of talk coming out of Norman over the past few weeks about keeping away from all the rat poison, courtesy of the one and only Jalen Hurts. Now you can show your support for the cause by sporting this fine t-shirt from the good people at BreakingT! If you have this on, everyone who sees you will know you’re not about that outside noise, good or bad. Check it out today!
Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts is on a mission, and that entails fending off all distractions and praise. Fortunately, BreakingT is here to help you join him in solidarity.— C&C Machine (@CCMachine) September 20, 2019
Get your #RatPoison shirt today! #Sooners https://t.co/czfIXtFUSI
- If you’re like most people, you have to wear shoes on a daily basis. In that case, why not spice things up a few notches by putting on these bad boys! The Jordan Brand Jumpman logo looks extremely fine surrounded by all that crimson and cream. If the React Havocs have caught your eye, treat yourself sooner rather than later!
- In case you missed it earlier this week, episode 33 of the Oklahoma Breakdown Podcast is here! Jack and Kamiar previewed this Saturday’s game against Texas Tech in addition to discussing Trejan Bridges working at safety, news on the recruiting front, some of the happenings across college football and more. So if you haven’t already, give this one a listen before tomorrow’s game! As usual, there is some NSFW language used on the pod.
Around the Sports World
- The injury bug keeps biting the USC Trojans. On Thursday, third stringer Matt Fink was named the starting QB against Washington after Kedon Slovis was ruled out following an injury sustained against Utah. Also, two starting defensive backs will also be sidelined.
- Los Angeles Lakers forward Kyle Kuzma has been ruled out indefinitely after suffering a stress reaction in his left foot. This news is also compounded by the fact that L.A. will also be without rookies Talen Horton-Tucker and Jordan Caroline for at least training camp.
- The Philadelphia Eagles upset the Green Bay Packers on Thursday night, but the win was secondary to the scary moment on the final drive of the game when CB Avonte Maddox was involved in a devastating collision to the head and neck area by a teammate. Fortunately, his prognosis looks promising according to an update from Friday morning.
Injury update: Avonte Maddox was evaluated at the hospital last night and diagnosed with a concussion and a neck injury. Doctors determined he was safe to travel with the team to undergo further testing.— Philadelphia Eagles (@Eagles) September 27, 2019
- Seattle Mariners pitcher Félix Hernández has stepped off the mound for the final time. After playing all 15 years of his MLB career with the same franchise, he racked up six All-Star honors and the 2010 AL Cy Young Award. What a legend.
Stick to Sports!
- The engineers over at Boston Dynamics have put together this launch trailer of their most advanced robotic canine, ‘Spot’. This thing can pretty much travel across every non-aquatic terrain, carry up to 30 pounds, self-right and more. It’s also rain and dust resistant. Basically, that episode of ‘Black Mirror’ will soon be upon us if we’re not too careful. All joking aside, this is a pretty cool robo-pooch.
Watch this launch trailer for Boston Dynamic's robot dog named Spot. pic.twitter.com/G7WG3aP3X2— IGN (@IGN) September 27, 2019
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!