Happy Tuesday, friends and fans!
Want your picture to be part of a corporate-sponsored mosaic? You can do just that by submitting your photo to this OU125 mosaic project that will be available for purchase at the end of the 2019 season.
In case you’re wondering, you will be able to buy both digital and hard copies of this fan-filled poster. I think it’s actually kind of cool!
Now on to today’s Hot Links! Jaden Davis is pushing to be a top newcomer on defense, Austin Seibert had a big night, Daniel Jones gets the nod and more!
- Senior CB Parnell Motley continues to shut down his side of the field as well or better than anybody in the country. PFF College notes that the D.C. native is allowing the fewest yards per cover snap in the nation. Also, check out former Sooner Will Sunderland also making the list with his new team, the Troy Trojans.
No FBS cornerback has allowed fewer yards per cover snap so far this season than Parnell Motley! pic.twitter.com/jlk5gq7U4U— PFF College (@PFF_College) September 16, 2019
- The Tulsa World’s Kelly Hines details how Oklahoma’s defensive depth is a surprising yet critical factor to the Sooners’ early success on that side of the ball. With the rotations being so wide-ranging, it’s allowed Alex Grinch to continue to evaluate his top performers while also developing the less experienced talent on the roster.
- The latest Heisman odds from Bovada were released on Monday, and Jalen Hurts is tied with his former Alabama Crimson Tide teammate Tua Tagovailoa for the best odds after three weeks of college football. A name I think deserves more consideration is Oklahoma State Cowboys RB Chuba Hubbard. The guy is absolutely going off and has a big stage in Austin this weekend.
Updated odds to win the Heisman Trophy (Bovada):— Odds Shark (@OddsShark) September 16, 2019
- Speaking of Hurts, from the time he arrived at OU, he’s steadily built chemistry with his receivers, namely CeeDee Lamb and Charleston Rambo. Even though he’s still learning in the Sooners’ offense, he’s proving to his teammates that he can be counted on to make plays in a multitude of ways.
- OU Insider’s Collin Kennedy highlighted true freshman cornerback Jaden Davis as Oklahoma’s defensive player of the game against UCLA. Davis has emerged as a rising star in Alex Grinch’s defense, consistently making plays in space and attacking receivers as well as the ball whenever he gets an opportunity.
- Oklahoma is on a bye week, as is Texas Tech, its next opponent. Unfortunately for the Red Raiders, they’ll be without starting QB Alan Bowman after he suffered a shoulder injury in the loss at Arizona. If you recall, Bowman was having a monster night against the Sooners in last season’s meeting before he was ruled out after halftime with a reaggravated collapsed lung injury.
- Baker Mayfield had himself somewhat of a bounce-back performance in his first Monday Night Football game, going 19-35 for 325 yards and this dart to Odell Beckham Jr. for an 89-yard house call:
- Former Sooner turned Cleveland Browns starting kicker Austin Seibert went three-for-three against the New York Jets to help his team earn a much-needed win on Monday night. Big Seib was good from 23, 48 and 43 yards.
- For a complete rundown of Sooners in the NFL, check out Kartik’s post from this AM.
- Jordan Brand has dropped a new Oklahoma Sooners shoe just for you to rock this fall. It’s crimson, it’s cream, and it’s definitely going to draw attention wherever you go. For more information on the React Havocs and how you can purchase your own pair, click here!
Around the Sports World
- It’s finally happening. QB Daniel Jones — the No. 6 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft — will receive his first start for the 0-2 New York Giants ahead of long-time starter Eli Manning this weekend at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers have traded a first round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft for Miami Dolphins S Minkah Fitzpatrick.
- Speaking of trades, Jacksonville Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey has requested to be traded after his situation with the organization became contentious. Ramsey has a reputation for speaking his mind totally unfiltered and calling out any player he so chooses, so it’ll be interesting to see where he lands with that kind of energy.
- Virginia men’s basketball coach Tony Bennett turned down a pay raise because he would rather see that money go to his coaching staff and the program itself. That’s quite the commendable gesture, but it’s nothing new for a stand-up guy like Bennett. His Cavaliers are getting set tip-off the 2019-20 season and hope to defend their NCAA championship from this past April.
- Baseball fans are probably the funniest fans to watch because they typically have more downtime to do wacky things like this Chicago Cubs wizard:
Stick to Sports!
- For all you parents or fans of Disney owned properties, you have to check out the Disney Bedtime Hotline. With this hotline, you can connect yourself with Yoda from ‘Star Wars’, Woody from ‘Toy Story’, Princess Jasmine from ‘Aladdin’ and others! The best part is that it’s all a toll-free phone call away. I had to check it out for myself, and I chose Yoda because I never before would have imagined that I’d hear that voice come through my phone. Had me rolling, it did.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!