After Lincoln Riley and the communications staff pulled the old eyeball trick in Monday’s game notes, the Oklahoma Sooners now have a depth chart for the season opener against Houston.
At the bottom, I’ve typed out the chart for those who aren’t trying to squint or find your reading glasses. You’re welcome, Baby Boomers!
(Note: With the exception of special teams, all of the players listed as “OR” are in alphabetical order)
Some things that stand out:
- Jalen Redmond will indeed start the season with his hand in the dirt at the tackle position. If need be, he could perhaps move to the RUSH position, but for now that’s a battle between JMT and Bonitto.
- Kenneth Mann is absent from the depth chart, which is due to his continued recovery.
- The WILL situation is the most interesting, because the assumption throughout the offseason was that it was all but White’s spot.
- After a late run from Jordan Parker and some of the young guns, senior Parnell Motley appears to have staved off the competition (for now, at least).
- The safety positions are no surprise, but the battle at nickel appears to be ongoing after a good fall from Sylvie.
- The starting offensive line is about what was expected, with the potential exception of Proctor not grabbing one of the two guard jobs. Hayes appeared to be close to a shoe-in (he is a BEAST) but credit to Robinson for showing enough to lock down a spot as a redshirt sophomore. #SoonerSquad17 is out in full force.
- The freshman wide receivers are the real deal, as Charleston Rambo appears to have been unable to fully hold off Bridges and Haselwood. Wease also appears to be a legit candidate for a decent number of snaps, as one would think he’d eventually be able to overtake AD Miller in the pecking order.
- Brayden Willis seemed like the call at H-Back, but it would appear that neither he nor Hall have done enough to lock it down. I’m sure we’ll see plenty of both.
- The fact that a place kicker hasn’t separated himself is a tad unsettling. I’m sure both Sutherland and Brkic will get crack over the next two weeks.
WR - X
AD Miller OR
WR - H
WR - Y
Grant Calcaterra OR
WR - Z
Trejan Bridges OR
Jaden Haselwood OR
Kennedy Brooks OR
Jeremiah Hall OR
Marcus Stripling OR
Dillon Faamatau OR
Jalen Redmond OR
Levi Draper OR
Ryan Jones OR
Nik Bonitto OR
Brendan Radley-Hiles OR
Jaden Davis OR
Robert Barnes OR
Rober Barnes OR
Calum Sutherland OR
Calum Sutherland OR