Happy Tuesday, friends and fans!
Houston Cougars head coach Dana Holgorsen was sent into a mild tizzy during his press conference on Monday because the Oklahoma Sooners released a blank depth chart with big emoji eyes. Check out the leader of the Houston Parrot Head Club (upon further review, this isn’t true, but I’d be willing to bet that he’s somehow involved) in midseason form.
IT’S A DEPTH CHART STANDOFF, Y’ALL!
Houston coach Dana Holgorsen on not releasing a depth chart for Week 1. He says lightheartedly, ‘I’ve always released a depth chart. ... If they aren’t putting one out, I ain’t putting one out.’ pic.twitter.com/g5qRLwwmZS— Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) August 26, 2019
If I were in charge of releasing the actual depth chart later this week, I’d troll even more with a sad crying face and another face crying with laughter.
I know most people like the Holgs, but I’ll go on record in saying that I absolutely do not. He constantly talks mess in his pressers, yet for some reason people soak it up. He’s funny in other aspects of his life (such as chugging Red Bull, having hilarious hair and generally being a bit of a wild man), but his public persona is kind off-putting. Alright, I’m done. I’m cool.
Now on to today’s Hot Links! Grinch wants Oklahoma to steal more than two possessions per game, Kyler Murray will be looking extra fly this fall, UT is down a number of skill players and more!
- Check out some of the new treats you’ll be able to devour when you attend an OU football game this season (you can see a full thread here). I think the obvious big seller of this group will be the Horns down donut masterpiece. Having said that, the donut could be turned right-side up if it falls into the wrong hands, so we’ll all need to be extra vigilant on Sunday. If you see something, say something!
- On Monday, Alex Grinch told the media that he wants the Sooners’ defense to force more than two turnovers in every game this season. After averaging less than one takeaway per game last season, accomplishing that would be quite the difference from one year to the next. OU Insider’s RJ Young breaks down the OU DC’s goals further.
- Cornerback Starrland Baldwin is no longer on the roster (which you can find here), and that discovery was accompanied by the revelation that another had moved to his old position. The OU Daily’s Vic Reynolds details Grinch’s thoughts on former WR Jaquayln Crawford switching to cornerback due to depth concerns.
- Men’s basketball coach Lon Kruger and AD Joe Castiglione have always made generating student interest in the program a top priority. Over the weekend, hundreds of students were invited to hang out at Kruger’s crib for food and games as the 2019-20 college basketball season tips off in a couple months.
“It starts with the students.”@LonKruger hosted a few hundred @UofOklahoma students at his home this weekend, giving them unparalleled access to our program.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) August 26, 2019
This is YOUR team and we’ll see you at the LNC .#YouBelongHere pic.twitter.com/2Jw1wM6ee4
- Kyler Murray will be able to wear a version of a tinted visor in actual games this season thanks to a deal between Oakley and the NFL.
Kyler Murray's in-game swag potential might be going up.https://t.co/D6JHGAukS8— Darren Urban (@Cardschatter) August 27, 2019
Around the Sports World
- The retired Rob Gronkowski recently spoke about the reason why he decided to call it a career at 30 years old. Citing the mental and physical demands that go into all aspects of the game, it gradually took its toll and in turn took his joy away from the sport. Powerful stuff.
"I want to be clear to my fans ... I was not in a good place. Football was bringing me down."— NFL on ESPN (@ESPNNFL) August 27, 2019
–Rob Gronkowski on his decision to retire pic.twitter.com/zEek2QNPjH
- The Texas Longhorns will be without several pieces on offense when they open the 2019 season against Louisiana Tech this Saturday. Three running backs will be sidelined with injuries, and sophomore receiver Joshua Moore is suspended until further notice.
- Big-time DB Kelvin Joseph has officially transferred from LSU to Kentucky. After spending his freshman season in Baton Rouge, he’ll have to sit this year, but can suit up for the Wildcats in 2020.
- After going through free agency without inking a deal with an NBA team, Jeremy Lin is headed to China to play for the Beijing Ducks. He still has a lot of ball left in his body, so good for him.
Thanks to the NBA and everyone who's supported me the last 9 years! Will always cherish being able to rep Asians at the NBA level. Excited for the next step with the Beijing Ducks. Excited to make more history. Congrats lil bro on signing your contract extension on the same day! pic.twitter.com/gRoalAaoal— Jeremy Lin (@JLin7) August 27, 2019
- Eating any version of popcorn with a fork is not only immoral, it ought to warrant being placed atop every watch list in all federal databases. Please quit doing that. Are all San Francisco Giants fans like this? I really hope not.
These? people? are? eating? popcorn? with? a? fork????? pic.twitter.com/xlbq2OIZ6L— Subscribe to Cut4 on YouTube!!!! (@Cut4) August 27, 2019
Stick to Sports!
- A biopic about the creator of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos is in the works, and Eva Longoria has just been tabbed as its director. Not only is she an accomplished actress, she’s been in the directing game for years, especially as of late. Also, the story of Richard Montanez is a true rags-to-riches tale that carries a lot of relevant themes for today’s audiences. I’m interested to see who else this film is able to bring on.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!