How’s it going, everybody?
In a new GQ Magazine feature, readers are given an inside-look at Baker Mayfield that shows off the more en vogue side of the polarizing QB. In the interview, one of the more eye-catching bits was how he described his level of sincerity after issuing an apology to Ohio State for planting the flag on the 50-yard line. Spoiler alert: he wasn’t that sincere.
Baker Mayfield on how heartfelt the Ohio State apology actually was, on a scale of 1 to 10: “Zero. Absolutely not." https://t.co/dwcNUfpTNV pic.twitter.com/q1L6seSf88— Luke Leifeste (@lukeleifeste) August 20, 2019
After the Oklahoma Sooners convincingly defeated the Buckeyes at Ohio Stadium in 2017, and Mayfield planted the flag seen ‘round the world, the public outcry was beyond ridiculous. This retroactive sorry-not-sorry not only tells me what I already knew about that apology, and it makes me feel even better that he’s sticking to his guns. It’s who the guy is, and no one should try to tone him down simply for appearances.
Now check out my boy flexing all kinds of drip and making me re-think my entire wardrobe. When you’re doing a shoot for GQ, you have to GQ it up. Looks like Baker is that dude.
Take a behind-the-scenes look at @bakermayfield's GQ shoot https://t.co/V4DDV14bJy pic.twitter.com/FJXCJ8jRXE— GQ Magazine (@GQMagazine) August 20, 2019
Now in this next clip, I don’t know if the interviewer was asking Mayfield about whether he won his last game or not just for the audience or simply for himself, but it served as a nice reminder to me that not everyone on the planet watched that heartbreaking loss to Georgia in the Rose Bowl. Thanks for bringing it up, guy. Anyway, top 10 essentials, check ‘em.
.@Browns quarterback @bakermayfield runs us through the everyday essentials he can't live without— GQ Magazine (@GQMagazine) August 20, 2019
WATCH: https://t.co/199gySkRzo pic.twitter.com/OdNi4q1iog
Baker Mayfield is a true celebrity. Not saying that this GQ appearance confirms it, but it does highlight how far his stardom has ascended beyond the football field. For any stragglers left out there who aren’t on board yet with the guy, it’s not too late to join the fan club. Do it for a good time — you’ll thank me later.
Now for today’s Hot Links! Oklahoma’s backup QB is still unclear, Toby Rowland goes worldwide, Chris Sale won’t need TJ surgery and more!
- Make sure you check out the latest episode of the Oklahoma Breakdown Podcast with Jack and Kamiar! In this week’s discussion, the guys are joined by 107.7 The Franchise’s Brady Trantham to cover all the hottest topics surrounding OU Football right now, such as Jalen Hurts being named the starting QB, how Alex Grinch’s defense is shaping up and more! As usual, be aware that there is some NSFW language on the pod.
- Speaking of Hurts, now that he’s officially been named the Week 1 starter, who will back him up? The Norman Transcript’s Tyler Palmateer takes a look at the rest of the QB options on the team behind the ballyhooed grad transfer.
- The Associated Press released its Preseason All-America teams this Tuesday, and WR CeeDee Lamb was named to its second team. In the last three seasons, at least one OU player has made the AP’s All-America First Team by the year’s end. WR Dede Westbrook was the Sooners’ lone selection in ‘16. The following year saw three more honors in QB Baker Mayfield, OT Orlando Brown Jr. and TE Mark Andrews. The latest two came in ‘18, with QB Kyler Murray and WR Marquise Brown.
- Here is Alex Grinch talking about how the safeties are coming along, as well as the every down effort he and his supporting coaching staff have been preaching to their players since they set up shop in Norman.
"You can't have a bad day if you play with extreme effort."@CoachGrinch #SpeedD #OUDNA— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) August 20, 2019
➡️ https://t.co/9vnO2944gI pic.twitter.com/JORTBecZYe
- Speaking of Alex Grinch, the Athletic’s Jason Kersey wrote an outstanding piece on the DC’s mother, who has been in a wheelchair throughout his life.
“You wake up, and you either get out of bed or you stay in bed.”@CoachGrinch’s mother has been in a wheelchair his entire life. His 2 brothers-in-law have muscular dystrophy. Why the #Sooners defensive coordinator has no patience for complaining: https://t.co/7QA1EXqmGw— Jason Kersey (@jasonkersey) August 20, 2019
- We all know cornerbacks coach Roy Manning has energy for days, but with that also comes a true understanding of the goal and how to get there. After working with Grinch before in the past, he believes in this system and is guiding the CBs on the path to get there.
Best CB Coach in the country! @CoachRoyM #SpeedD #OUDNA— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) August 19, 2019
➡️ https://t.co/9vnO29lFFi pic.twitter.com/tvys8du1ej
- If you haven’t seen this yet, you absolutely must check out Toby Rowland aka the voice of Oklahoma Football putting on his best Roy Manning impression and lighting a fire inside the masses. Seriously, this was entertaining as hell. It might even be as good as his iconic scene setters.
The boys ready to go! #ButkusBednarik #CenterofAttention #Stalking #Worldwide #1️⃣3️⃣Days@CoachRoyM @OU_Football @OUontheAir pic.twitter.com/XRKJEZUvju— Toby Rowland (@TRowOU) August 19, 2019
Around the Sports World
- The college football crew over on CBS Sports Network made their preseason predictions for the next College Football Playoff, and the Oregon Ducks appear to be the trendy outside of the box pick. Also, there’s no way Alabama is missing the playoffs. Until it actually happens, I won’t believe it.
Some bold @CFBPlayoff predictions from Inside College Football pic.twitter.com/Y5wz4kAC5Y— CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) August 20, 2019
- Arkansas State head football coach Blake Anderson shared the news of his wife Wendy’s passing after a two year battle with breast cancer.
FINAL WENDY UPDATE 8/20#NotFightingAlone ❤️❤️❤️ there’s a celebration in heaven today cause Wendy is Home pic.twitter.com/OYwh0fQLpU— Blake Anderson (@CHbanderson) August 20, 2019
- Boston Red Sox ace pitcher Chris Sale reportedly will not have to undergo Tommy John surgery, but an examination by Dr. James Andrews suggests he will likely miss the remainder of the season.
- ESPN released its NFL Preseason Power Rankings, and while there’s no surprise at the top, the top ten features a number of teams that definitely weren’t there a season ago.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!