What’s up, everyone?
Throughout program history, if the Oklahoma Sooners have been known for one thing (other than winning), it’s consistent production from the running back position. Part of that is having other great players on offense, but the biggest factor is having talented individuals who can tote the rock. This year looks like it’ll be no different with Trey Sermon and Kennedy Brooks returning to the fold. Speaking of which, the duo they form checked in at No. 10 on Athlon’s top 60 running backs heading into the 2019 college football season.
It’s a high ranking for these backs, but they deserve it based off their past results. With a retooled offensive line and a new quarterback behind center, Sermon and Brooks will be relied upon a lot this season, especially in the early going. If they manage to pick up where they left off a year ago, expect another 2,000 yards combined type of campaign.
Other Big 12 running backs to make the list were Oklahoma State’s Chuba Hubbard at No. 20, Kansas’ Pooka Williams at No. 22, Texas’ Keaontay Ingram at No. 33 and West Virginia’s Kennedy McKoy and Martell Pettaway at No. 50. Judging from that alone, it figures to be another fun year for the running backs both within the conference and around the nation!
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Today we’ve got a ranking of the quarterbacks in the Big 12, predictions on the conference players of the year, the premier of a tasty 30-for-30 and more!
- Class of 2020 five-star running back Jase McClellan and four-star running back Seth McGowan have been at The Opening together this week, and as Sooner commits, you know they had to show their reverence for the Longhorns.
- The Norman Transcript’s Tyler Palmateer wrote about Oklahoma’s Week 3 matchup at UCLA. When the Sooners and Bruins met in Norman in 2018, it was hardly a competitive contest. Now that it’s year two of the Chip Kelly era in Los Angeles, could this game actually become the national attention-grabber that it should be?
- In an early power rankings of the projected starting Big 12 quarterbacks, where would Jalen Hurts rank? Does Texas’ Sam Ehlinger have the resume at this stage to claim the title of the conference’s best QB to start the season? 247 Sports’ Kevin Flaherty offers his takes.
- Speaking of Hurts and Ehlinger, David Kenyon of Bleacher Report predicts the former Alabama QB will finish the season named Big 12 Player of the Year, just ahead of the Longhorns’ third-year signal caller.
- Baker Mayfield leads the Browns once again as he stars in Cleveland: The Chip Strikes Back. Coming soon to a football watch party near you.
- Hey Sooner fans, Allen Kenney linked up with our SB Nation brethren over at Burnt Orange Nation to discuss all things Oklahoma on the Longhorn Republic podcast. As always, you know it’s a great listen when it’s with our guy Allen, who’s full of stats and insight. If you need more college football talk in your life, you won’t want to miss this!
Around the Sports World
- At 2 p.m. CT, the US Women’s National Team takes on England in the semifinal round of the 2019 Women’s World Cup. SB Nation’s Stars & Stripes FC is here to break down the matchup.
- With Independence Day coming up this Thursday, you’ll definitely want to catch yourself up on one of the greatest rivalries in the history of human competition. As part of ESPN’s 30-for-30 films, watch how one pair of jaws strives for titles no mortal shall ever attempt. Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi star in ‘The Good, The Bad, The Hungry’, airing tonight at 7 p.m. CT on ESPN.
- This NBA free agency season has been one for the ages, and with some big names still left unsigned, it’s a great time to look at who the best available players are.
- When I woke up this morning, I didn’t know Fernando Tatís Jr. could do this. When I go to sleep tonight, I’ll know that Fernando Tatís Jr. can do this.
- On Monday, Los Angeles Angels pitcher Taylor Skaggs reportedly passed away after being found unresponsive in his hotel room hours before a game with the Texas Rangers. No foul play is suspected. He was 27.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!