How’s it going, everyone?
In one of the more out of nowhere stories from Big 12 Media Days, Oklahoma Sooners LB Kenneth Murray reportedly performed emergency CPR for a deaf woman earlier this month. OU Daily’s Caleb McCourry has more on the story.
“That’s kind of the way he is. He just does things and keeps moving ... He’s not looking for any glory or anything of that nature.”— OU Daily Sports (@OUDailySports) July 15, 2019
Kenneth Murray gave someone CPR on the side of the road earlier this month. His dad is not surprised. #Sooners: https://t.co/SNJeieQtqY
Fortunately the woman is now fine thanks in large part to Murray’s life-saving act. The most amazing part of this story is that he didn’t tell some of the closest people around him of his heroic deed, including his father Kenneth Murray Sr. Beyond the CPR itself, that detail alone speaks a tremendous amount about the character of the Preseason Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. In his first two seasons he’s been a leader on the field for the Sooners, but he’s clearly leading by example off the field as well.
On Tuesday, Kenneth ‘K9’ Murray Jr. was named a 2019 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team nominee, and considering everything he’s done, it’s a well-deserved honor.
Here’s a little bit of what Kenneth had to say to our own Kamiar Mehrabian at Media Days:
Now onto today’s Hot Links! CeeDee Lamb says he’s the best, OU Athletics had a top three year nationally, Devin Hester’s son is a tiny beast and more!
- Oh, this? It’s nothing major. Just CeeDee Lamb and Reggie Bush chilling at Big 12 Media Days on Monday. It’ll be interesting to see what the former USC Trojan brings as a college football analyst for FOX this season.
- Speaking of Lamb, Vic Reynolds from OU Daily caught up with him in Arlington, and the Sooners’ junior receiver believes he’s the cream of the crop at his position in the Big 12. For the record, I think he has the potential to be the best in the nation.
- Lincoln Riley did his usual song and dance about a QB battle, but we all know it’s Jalen Hurts’ job to lose. Having said that, the former Alabama quarterback has already gained the trust of his Sooner teammates.
- Oklahoma was recently rated No. 3 in the nation by CBS Sports in terms of the performance of the school’s overall athletics teams during the past year. The Sooners are ranked just behind Michigan and Kentucky, and are the only Big 12 team in the top 12.
- Brayden Conover from Sooners Wire wrote about Lincoln Riley clearing the air after Alex Grinch was reportedly telling recruits that the current defense lacks NFL talent.
- Vic Reynolds from OU Daily wrote about the ‘Horns Down’ potential taunting penalty discussion from Day 2 of Big 12 Media Days. Basically, it’s still a highly subjective call that will likely make us want to rip our hair out more than once this fall.
The horns down celebration could be subject to penalty if directed at opposing players or fans, the Big 12 Coordinator of Officials said at Media Days on Tuesday: https://t.co/tLnvYWVoyy— OU Daily Sports (@OUDailySports) July 16, 2019
- On Day 2, Tom Herman didn’t have to pause for 20 seconds when asked about the number of championship-caliber players on his roster. However, the answer remains the same.
On if he has championship level players, Herman laughed and said "we have some"— K. Mehrabian (@BoomTownRW) July 16, 2019
He did it. #Big12MediaDays
- Don’t forget to check out the latest episode of the Oklahoma Breakdown Podcast. This week, Jack and Kamiar were in Arlington for Big 12 Media Days and were joined by Kegan Reneau and Brayden Conover of USA Today’s Sooners Wire, so the discussions will cover Lincoln Riley and the players’ press appearances, as well as some of the highlights from Day One of the annual summer event.
Around the Sports World
- NBA veteran point guard Chris Paul was traded to Oklahoma City, but he doesn’t plan on playing for the Thunder this season. Reportedly, the Miami Heat are at the top of his wish list.
- Looks like the Philadelphia 76ers have locked down one of their top key pieces, as Ben Simmons has agreed to a five year, $170 million max contract extension.
- Who were the top rookie performers in this year’s NBA Summer league? SB Nation’s Ricky O’Donnell ranks the best 11.
- SB Nation’s Geoff Schwartz recently wrote about why the idea of expanding the 16-game NFL regular season to 18 games is a bad idea. Personally, I agree, but unfortunately if the money is in favor, the money will always win.
- The son of retired NFL return legend Devin Hester looks like he’s going to be a problem for opponents in due time. Ouch, my ankles.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!