Happy Monday, friends and fans!
For many emojis, interpretation can be a little complicated, but on Twitter, when Lincoln Riley posts a pair of eyes, all fans of the Oklahoma Sooners know exactly what that means. Joe Mussatto from the Oklahoman takes a look at the how the eyes emoji phenomenon came to be.
In the past, learning about verbal commitments was fun, but since Riley started including this now signature signal in with the recruiting process, it’s become a highly anticipated event all on its own.
The rise of social media has changed a lot of how news circulates in the world today, and it’s done an equal amount of wonders for college football. Riley is second to none in the game today when it comes to how he uses Twitter as a tool to reach his fans and to relate with his past, present and potential players.
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! Michael Thompson could be switching back to DL, Michael Henderson reaffirms his commitment, the Kawhi billboards have begun and more!
- D-line coach Calvin Thibodeaux spent a little down time with his linemen this past weekend. Check out Neville Gallimore in the seat looking like the true leader of this group. Also, it looks like Michael Thompson (back row, far left) could be back in the defensive trenches after starting his career there before moving to the O-line.
- The Oklahoman’s Berry Tramel caught up with Paul Finebaum and spoke about Jalen Hurts’ Heisman odds as well as why so many college football folks around the nation are actually rooting for the former Alabama QB to win the prestigious award.
- Kyler Murray has been the biggest standout for the Arizona Cardinals this offseason, which should come as no surprise to anyone who knows how hard the No. 1 overall pick has worked.
- On Sunday, Class of 2020 four-star athlete Michael Henderson publicly reaffirmed his commitment to Oklahoma. Since the Carrollton, Texas product chose the Sooners in February, he’s received offers from Miami (FL), Arizona, Arizona State and UCLA.
I am 1000% committed to The University of Oklahoma for any confusion.— Henderson (@nolimitmikey7) June 23, 2019
- Since softball pitcher Mariah Lopez entered the NCAA Transfer Portal, two more Sooners have also done the same. Joe Mussatto of the Oklahoman writes that pitcher Parker Conrad and outfielder Alexa Shultz are now looking for other opportunities outside of OU.
Around the Sports World
- In a week from today, the always chaotic NBA free agency season begins, and you know who fans of the Los Angeles Clippers want joining their team. Whatever Kawhi Leonard does next month will be major news. His game has earned that level of respect.
Free agency around the corner? Must be billboard season in LA. pic.twitter.com/2MAVZ8Yvwx— Andrew Greif (@AndrewGreif) June 24, 2019
- Harold Goulon literally scored this goal from his side of the field during the Malaysian FA Cup. It’s not like he caught the goalie sleeping either, the kick was just placed exactly where it should have been. Incredible.
WOW!— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) June 24, 2019
Harold Goulon’s stunning free-kick from his own half sealed victory for Pahang in the Malaysian FA Cup. pic.twitter.com/O4hFtUsEdh
- If you could go back and change one touchdown in college football history, knowing full well the immediate and eventual ramifications it would lead to, which one would you change? This exercise is a great use of your time during this offseason, I assure you.
- With the 2019 NHL Draft in the books, it’s time to review the most important information this class has to offer — all the amazing names. My personal favorite is the Ottawa Senators’ Mads Søgaard.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!