What’s up, everyone?
It started this morning with this:
Big day-— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) June 20, 2019
Soon afterwards, class of 2021 five-star quarterback Brock Vandagriff announced his verbal commitment to the Oklahoma Sooners. Former OU QBs Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray each gave the highly touted prospect a shout out.
That tradition Mayfield and Murray speak of is beginning to take shape at unprecedented levels. It began with Baker in 2015, which also coincided with Lincoln Riley’s first season in Norman (as OC). Three seasons later, Kyler Murray took the reins and turned in a remarkable year. Now Jalen Hurts is in the fold and will likely have a successful season with a real chance at some form of a championship. Finally, with Spencer Rattler — the top QB from the class of 2019 — having just arrived on campus within the last month, the prestigious mantel of being the Oklahoma quarterback looks to continue.
Riley tweeted this out shortly after the commitment was announced. Since he can’t publicly refer to Vandagriff and his verbal to OU, you just have to read between the lines. We all know what this is about, though. Lincoln, you sly fella, you.
Vandagriff’s commitment is significant for the longevity of the Oklahoma program for a number of reasons. For starters, it serves as further proof that Riley’s track record is resonating loudly with the best of the best from all across the nation. It also provides a semblance of stability that future classes can build upon. Great players want to play with other great players, and this QB from deep in the heart of SEC country appears to be cut from an elite cloth.
Now let’s dive into today’s Hot Links! Baker Mayfield hosts Norman youth camp and shares his distaste for Sammy E, the NBA Draft is tonight and more!
- Baker Mayfield was back in Norman to host a camp for a few hundred kids, and he offered some words of wisdom for Jalen Hurts. With so much support and experience coming the former Alabama QB’s way, especially from people like Mayfield, the possibilities for him are sky high this season.
Baker Mayfield’s advice to new OU QB Jalen Hurts, who is replacing back-to-back Heisman winners in Mayfield and Kyler Murray: pic.twitter.com/CEOtz6nWr8— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) June 19, 2019
- This mini Boz will beat you in Fortnite, steal your girl and win multiple championships in life. It’s all in the hair.
- Mayfield led a dance circle with all the young campers, and I want you to check out the move where they throw the horns down before stamping around, swinging their arms in place. This man is a real life superhero.
Baker Mayfield really is the pied piper (via ewilkinson/IG) pic.twitter.com/D3wB7llge1— Jordan Zirm (@clevezirm) June 19, 2019
- Speaking of Mayfield, the former OU and Lake Travis HS QB shared his opinion on the Texas Longhorns and specifically on UT’s quarterback, Sam Ehlinger. If you’re new around here, you might be surprised to know that these two are not best buddies. Not in the slightest.
- Linebacker Caleb Kelly and defensive tackle Dillon Faamatau clean up nice and reportedly beasted some mock job interviews. Keep up the great work, men.
Around the Sports World
- The 2019 NBA Draft goes down tonight. What are some of the trades that could also go down amid all the selection festivities?
- Check out how young the stars of today’s NBA looked before they became pros. LeBron James had hair, and James Harden’s face had none!
- After winning the Pac-12 in two of the last three seasons, Chris Petersen’s Washington program is leading the way in college football for the west coast. Bill Connelly takes a look at what’s ahead for these Huskies in 2019 to see if their recent run of success can continue. Speaking of which, this is Bill’s last week with SB Nation, so his final preview drops tomorrow. It’s none other than the Kansas Jayhawks! (Good luck, Bill! You’ll be sorely missed.)
- Preacher Franklin is known around Vanderbilt sporting events as the ‘Vandy whistler’, and if you’ve been watching the Commodores’ CWS run, you’ve likely heard his signature whistles. Well, recently he was asked not to whistle or risk being kicked out of the ball park.
- Space Jam 2 looks like it’s going to have an All-Star studded cast of characters like its predecessor. I just hope the competition is a little more challenging than the bumbling Monstars of old.
The cast of Space Jam 2 will include:— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) June 20, 2019
• Anthony Davis
• Damian Lillard
• Nneka Ogwumike
• Chiney Ogwumike
• Chris Paul
• Diana Taurasi
• Klay Thompson
(via multiple reports) pic.twitter.com/Tphu9U40F9
Stick to Sports!
- When a group of kids in Tulsa opened a lemonade stand, a thief stole their initial earnings. Since then, their story of perseverance has circulated around the hearts of many, and inspired the children to keep their stand open despite being taken advantage of before. Great stuff, and I’d like to buy their entire supply of lemonade, please.
"If he saw that we stopped, he'd think he got the best of us."— Kelsy Schlotthauer (@K_Schlott) June 20, 2019
These little entrepreneurs decided to reopen their north Tulsa lemonade stand today after a thief stole all their money on their second day of business: https://t.co/zg22wdqWl4
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!