What’s up, everybody?
The one and only Baker Mayfield caught up with gamer and socialite “KittyPlays” for a little Fortnite action as part of an interview for Allied Esports.
Allied Esports presents the first LIVE PlayTime with @KittyPlays!— Allied Esports (@AlliedEsports) March 4, 2019
️ 3/24 2:00 PT
In the show, @bakermayfield confesses a Victory Royale feels as good as throwing a touchdown! Tune in for the full interview.
For more: https://t.co/OlHKjB43ay pic.twitter.com/7z60xeYgwO
It’s well-documented that the former Oklahoma Sooners QB and current Cleveland Browns signal caller is an avid gamer. Based on what I’ve seen and read, Mayfield’s not too shabby with the sticks, which isn’t surprising considering he’s also great at playing football, dancing, talking trash and probably a million other things.
What’s especially interesting about this clip is how totally on-board Mayfield is with likening the feeling of winning a battle royale on Fortnite to that of throwing a touchdown pass. Sadly, I wouldn’t know either feeling, as I’ve never been the last man standing nor have I ever played quarterback.
The full interview will be released March 24, so stay tuned for possibly more compelling confessions from the G.O.A.T. himself.
Now for today’s Hot Links! Longtime athletic trainer Alex Brown is calling it a career, Sooner baseball and softball both take to the diamond on a frigid Tuesday, Rich Eisen runs the 40 and more!
- There has been a lot of movement in Dan Kadar’s latest NFL mock draft, namely with Kyler Murray now slotted atop the list. Both Cody Ford and Marquise Brown also cracked the top 20 in this projection.
- Colin Cowherd is a walking contradiction, and I don’t think he loses a ton of sleep over that fact. Regardless, Joel Klatt is always ready to remind him of his words so he can eat them later.
Joel Klatt will have a statue on the OU campus one day. pic.twitter.com/1deG4U6OI4— Carson Cunningham (@KOCOCarson) March 5, 2019
- The Norman Transcript’s Tyler Palmateer takes a close look at some of the major storylines on the offensive side of the ball heading into spring practice.
- The final home game of the season doesn’t get much bigger than this one, folks. Oklahoma hosts Kansas tonight at 8 p.m. CT. Free tickets are available for students, so the place needs to be rocking. The Sooners have won their final home game in eight straight seasons, and a win over KU would all but solidify a berth in the NCAA Tournament.
- Speaking of Sooner basketball, athletic trainer Alex Brown has announced he will retire at the end of the season after 32 years on the job. That’s a whole lot of OU b-ball! I’m sure it’s been a hell of a time with countless memories.
Longtime OU athletic trainer Alex Brown plans to retire at the conclusion of this season. AB has worked with our program for 32 seasons and over 1,000 games - including three trips to the Final Four. We can't thank him enough!— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) March 4, 2019
- These special March Madness edition OU Jordans are almost too sweet for feet, but I’ll take a pair or three just because.
Air Jordan 4 and Why Not Zer0.2 PE’s for Oklahoma (and Georgetown, Marquette, Florida, UNC, and Michigan) for March Madness. pic.twitter.com/xFsrzISEbb— Sooner Tracker (@SoonerTracker) March 5, 2019
- In baseball news, the Sooners are in Dallas today to take on DBU for the second time this season, with the game slated to start at 6:30 p.m. CT. Oklahoma won the first meeting, 4-2.
UPDATE: The game has been moved to Wednesday.
- It’s going to be a chilly afternoon spot at Marita Hynes Field as Oklahoma takes on McNeese State at 3 p.m. CT today. For a preview on the matchup and how you can follow along live, check out the link below.
PREVIEW | #Sooners continue their longest homestand of the season on Tuesday with a midweek matchup against McNeese at 3 p.m.: https://t.co/XE7EeB6XEt— Oklahoma Softball (@OU_Softball) March 4, 2019
: https://t.co/kxvYWYpMF5#ChampionshipMindset pic.twitter.com/UZHpMQgCmP
- Gerald McCoy is constantly working. Whether it’s on the field or in his community, the former Sooner superstar never takes a day off. He’ll be the first to credit his upbringing as the source of his passion for generosity, and it’s not something he plans to take a break from any time soon.
- Should Baker Mayfield be on the cover of the next edition of Madden? Also, how rare would it be for a QB who has yet to play his second NFL season to grace the popular video game cover? I’ll give you an unhelpful hint; it’s quite uncommon.
- Don’t forget to check out Allen’s take on the defense as the start of spring ball approaches. Some players could see slight changes in position, and with so many new staff members, it’s not easy to pinpoint where those changes could take place.
Around the Sports World
- Before the Texas Tech Red Raiders’ Senior Night game, Brandone Francis’ mother surprised him with a visit all the way from the Dominican Republic. If I went two years without seeing my mom I’d probably react like this too. Awesome stuff.
Texas Tech's Brandone Francis got the perfect surprise from his mother, who hasn't seen him for two years, when she showed up for his senior night. pic.twitter.com/AdwZhvlaHT— ESPN (@espn) March 5, 2019
- The Los Angeles Lakers aren’t mathematically out of the NBA Playoff race, but realistically it’s not looking good. In fact, it might be better if LeBron James and company concede this season and catch a head start for the next.
- The Kansas City Chiefs are looking to trade pass rushers Dee Ford and Justin Houston, two of the team’s sack leaders over the last three seasons.
- After an in-depth look into the systemic dysfunction of the Phoenix Suns organization, it was revealed that part of a prank/inspirational tactic called for live goats to be placed in the GM’s office. So what did the farm animals do in there? Surprise, surprise, they crapped everywhere. I think that about sums up the Suns franchise over the last several years.
- For years, the NFL Network’s Rich Eisen has run the 40-yard dash at the end of the NFL Combine in a full suit as part of the Run Rich Run campaign, and the simulcam comparisons are always the best part.
Stick to Sports!
- The final season of HBO’s Game of Thrones is nearly here, and the trailer has just been released. Hold onto your butts, because winter is here. Enjoy.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!