Fourteen months ago, Caleb Freeman was struck by a semi on his way to an OU game at the LNC.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) February 7, 2019
On Saturday, we'll be recognizing him and his miracrulous journey to recovery. pic.twitter.com/I5hYLSNHO7
Oklahoma (15-8, 3-7 Big 12) vs. No. 18 Texas Tech (18-5, 6-4 Big 12): 3 p.m. CT at Lloyd Noble Center (Norman, OK)
Commentary: Chuckie Kempf and Bryndon Manzer
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Radio: Sooner Radio Network (107.7 FM ‘The Franchise’ in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa; Tune In Radio App) with Toby Rowland and Kevin Henry announcing
Line: Texas Tech -1 (as of 10:50 a.m. CT)
About Texas Tech
- Texas Tech currently sits at No. 16 in the NCAA’s NET Rankings and No. 15 in the KenPom Ratings.
- Since the first meeting, the Red Raiders have gone 4-4 with losses to Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State and Kansas, and the stretch included a three-game skid to the first three teams on that list.
- Despite the team coming down to earth a bit, the defensive effort has continued to be stellar. Tech currently ranks 3rd in KenPom’s adjusted defensive efficiency rating.
- Sophomore guard Jarrett Culver, who is projected to be a lottery pick in June, leads the team in scoring (17.8 PPG), rebounding (6.6 RPG) and assists (3.8 APG).
No college player has improved their NBA stock more than Jarrett Culver this season. Just closed out West Virginia by dropping 18 points (all in the second half) on 6-8 shooting, 6-6 from the line.— Ricky O'Donnell (@SBN_Ricky) January 3, 2019
He's so good at getting to his spots. Has blossomed as a offensive initiator. pic.twitter.com/rjeOLbMk5G
- Guards Matt Mooney and Davide Moretti are each averaging 10.6 PPG this season. In recent weeks, each has proven capable of picking up a chunk of the offensive load when Culver is struggling with his shot.
- Still alive? - As poorly as Oklahoma has performed in Big 12 play, this team still sits at No. 35 in the NET Rankings. The way things are looking, these guys can still go dancing if they can somehow figure out a way to scratch out four or five wins down the stretch, and a .500 Big 12 record likely won’t be required for admission. Having said that, this team hasn’t demonstrated an ability to pull this off, so I’m still pessimistic.
- Christian James - This is sounding like a broken record, but he simply has to do more for this team offensively if OU is going to steal some of these games down the stretch. During the current three-game skid, he is 24.1 percent from the field (7.7 percent from deep) and has seemed tentative to fire away on decent looks. He has a chance to end his collegiate career on a positive note, but he has to get out of his own head.
- Honoring Caleb Freeman - While driving to an OU basketball game last season, then-17-year -old Caleb Freeman’s truck was T-boned by a semi-truck, which led to a traumatic brain injury. On Saturday, OU will honor him as its sixth starter during pregame introductions. You can read more about his story in the link below.
- The 30-year anniversary of one of the greatest moments in program history - On Feb. 9, 1989, the No. 5 Oklahoma Sooners hosted No. 3 Missouri in front of a amped-up crowd at the LNC. However, as OU was trailing by a score of 23-8, debris began to fly onto the floor. Head coach Billy Tubbs recognized this as an opportunity to shift the momentum, and shift the momentum he did. After taking the mic, Tubbs implored the crowd to get it together by saying, “The referees request that regardless of how terrible the officiating is, do not throw stuff on the floor”. OU then went on a 28-9 run and ended up winning by a score of 112-105. What a legend...