Happy Monday, friends and fans!
With his coaching acumen, offensive brilliance, and youth on his side, the speculation of Lincoln Riley being lured away from the Oklahoma Sooners were at an all-time high during the 2018 season. After a hefty pay increase as well as a significant contract extension, the 35-year-old coaching wonder appears to be in this for the long haul. In fact, he recently said he wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a “college lifer”.
Lincoln Riley "certainly wasn't tempted" by NFL this year https://t.co/ooSK0ssRbP— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) February 25, 2019
Riley spoke with NBC Sports’ Peter King for a segment on Football Morning in America, and he claims that he never felt tempted by the prospect of coaching in the NFL despite the multiple opportunities as jobs opened up one by one. The Sooners’ head coach also added that if he weren’t at a place like Oklahoma, he probably would’ve put more consideration into the idea.
Just as it was during the Bob Stoops era of Oklahoma Football, these talks of Riley and the NFL will never completely go away. If anything, it’ll probably become cyclical as jobs in the league come and go. Some years will be quieter than others, while other times the smoke could be billowing from every open space. For now, OU is quite fortunate to have a happy Riley in place and at the top of his game.
Now on to this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! Kyler Murray is packing on the pounds, Blake Griffin and Trae Young squared off, Ja Rule hexes the Timberwolves and more!
- Don’t look now, but Oklahoma basketball is riding a miniature wave of momentum into Ames after winning its last two games. The Sooners must now take on Iowa State in a big Monday matchup, but the Cyclones have struggled as of late playing within the confines of Hilton Coliseum. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. CT and can be seen on ESPN2.
- Speaking of traveling to Ames, the team had to land in Des Moines and take a bus the rest of the way there due to the inclement weather.
Treacherous travel for @OU_MBBall tonight. Had to land in Des Moines instead of Ames due to blizzard conditions. Passed 20-25 vehicles in ditches on bus ride to Ames including a 10-car pileup. I-35 closed north of Ames due to ice. Arrived safely.— Toby Rowland (@TRowOU) February 25, 2019
- Daniel Jeremiah ranked the top 50 prospects heading into the 2019 NFL Draft, and Kyler Murray was not only one of the biggest movers from his previous rankings, he also jumped ahead of all other quarterbacks. Both Marquise Brown and Cody Ford are also on the list.
- The biggest criticism against Murray has been his height, but after that it’s been his weight. Reportedly, the Heisman Trophy winner is over 200 pounds, which is a significant figure if it turns out to be true.
- The Oklahoman’s Ryan Aber broke down the running back position at Oklahoma heading into the 2019 season. With Trey Sermon, Kennedy Brooks and T.J. Pledger all returning, the Sooners should be in great hands.
- Oklahoma suffered its first loss of the season to Cal State Fullerton on Sunday, 8-6. The Sooners, now 6-1, will take to the diamond again on Tuesday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
- In case you missed it, class of 2020 three-star athlete Michael Henderson verbally committed to Oklahoma on Sunday. He looks to be in the mold of Dimitri Flowers, which would be huge if that ends up becoming the case.
- Also, don’t forget to check out Kartik’s update on the Sooners doing it big in the NBA. Buddy Hield helped the Sacramento Kings take down the Oklahoma City Thunder, while Blake Griffin and Trae Young went head-to-head.
Around the Sports World
- Last season of Netflix’s ‘Last Chance U’ introduced viewers to head coach Jason Brown and Independence Community College. After wrapping up shooting for season four, Brown resigned shortly after a heinous comment he made to one of his players via text message came to light.
- Actor Samuel L. Jackson went off-script to let his Oscar-winning friend director Spike Lee know that his beloved New York Knicks finally won at MSG, snapping an 18-game losing streak at home. Lee’s response: “We’re trying to tank!” Gold.
- Ja Rule was scheduled to perform the halftime show at a recent Milwaukee Bucks game, but almost nothing went as planned. It was also 90s night, but the rapper is mostly known for his hits during the early 2000s. I guess the research team was a little off on that one.
- An eagle and an osprey had a custody battle over a tasty fish during a baseball game. This has to go down as one of the strangest and most hilarious delays ever.
- I don’t know what’s more impressive, this dog sprinting 83 yards to catch a frisbee, or the man who threw a frisbee 83 yards. Either way, this is the kind of entertainment I’d like to see at more games.
Stick to Sports!
- A woman traveling from Australia to her home country of Scotland found a python coiled up inside one of her shoes after arriving at her destination. The snake was safely removed and taken into quarantine, but not before giving her a good fright. Once again, Australia, you’re riddled with creepy critters. Next time I travel via airplane, I’m triple checking my luggage because of you.
Snake-in-shoe— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) February 25, 2019
Woman finds snake in suitcase after Australia trip
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!