Happy Thursday, friends and fans!
Redshirt freshman placekicker Gabe Brkic was not at the top of the Oklahoma Sooners’ depth chart when the 2019 season began, but after the opportunity presented itself for him to step in and make a difference, he went out there and proved himself. Today, he’s one of 20 semifinalists for the Lou Groza Award.
In the 27 years of the Groza Award, Oklahoma has never had a player named the nation’s best kicker. Through five games as the starting placekicker, Brkic is 10-10 on field goals, including a long of 50. He’s also made 27-27 PAT attempts.
With so much production to replace following Austin Seibert’s graduation, along with former starter Calum Sutherland's off-the-field issues, Brkic’s ascension has been one of the more underrated storylines of the Sooners’ 2019 season. As the level of competition increases over the next month, OU will become more reliant on the Chardon, Ohio native’s clutch kicking.
Now for today’s Hot Links! Caleb Kelly’s new nickname suits him, Baker Mayfield is no longer undefeated with the handlebar, Mike Young is all of us and more!
- Former Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray has his own vote for college football’s most prestigious individual award, and recently he was asked who he believes the favorite is. I’ll give you a hint: it’s not Jalen Hurts.
- The Norman Transcript’s Tyler Palmateer wrote about how unusual it is for Oklahoma’s defense to be statistically one of the top 30 groups in total yards given up, but almost dead-last in the nation when it comes to turnovers forced.
- Caleb Kelly’s new nickname around the team this season has been ‘Coach’, and since he’s been sidelined with an injury, he’s taken on the moniker in stride, writes Vic Reynolds of the OU Daily.
- Baker Mayfield was rocking the classic handlebar mustache before Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos, but after the loss he shaved it down to a normal ‘stache. Why? Well according to him, he didn’t deserve it. I’ve got mad respect for this man.
Baker, on why he shaved twice Sunday. Said he shaved off the handlebar mustache after the game because he “didn’t deserve it.” pic.twitter.com/iscYtHlpoB— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) November 6, 2019
- Marquise Brown has had one heck of a rookie season with the Baltimore Ravens. In six games played, Hollywood has a total of 24 receptions for 374 yards and three touchdowns. Check out the man’s highlight reel!
- If you’re a student at the University of Oklahoma and you plan on attending the Iowa State game, make sure you’re one of the first 500 students through the gate and you’ll receive this awesome OU Football themed Veterans Day cap. Boomer!
- Calling all vets! Wherever you are around the world, the rest of us Sooners back home want to see your Oklahoma pride. Just remember when you share your photos, use the hashtag #SoonerSalute so we can see all the brave men and women who make possible our nation’s liberties.
In advance of Veterans Day and Saturday's Military Appreciation Day, we want to hear from our service men and women around the world!— Oklahoma Sooners (@OU_Athletics) November 6, 2019
Share your pictures of Sooners in uniform using #SoonerSalute
- Don’t forget to check out this week’s Oklahoma Breakdown Podcast with Jack, Kamiar and special guest Levi Stevenson from our SB Nation sister site Wide Right & Natty Lite. The guys have fun discussing the upcoming game between OU and the Iowa State Cyclones, as well as the ISU fan base’s affinity for Busch Light and so much more. As always, there is some NSFW language used on the pod.
Around the Sports World
- Kent State’s Kalin Bennett became the first player on the autism spectrum to score in a Division-1 basketball game. This really is the best thing I’ll see this week.
- Dallas Mavericks second-year player Luka Doncic not only lived up to the hype when he entered the NBA, according to SB Nation’s Matt Ellentuck, he’s already playing at an MVP level.
- Remember ‘The Mighty Ducks’? Well, they’re back! Only this time you’ll find the lovable ice hockey underdogs on the small screen for the Disney+ streaming service. There aren’t a ton of details about the series as of yet, but the nostalgia factor is already too real.
- Former Cincinnati Athletic Director Mike Bohn is expected to be named the new AD at USC. It’ll be interesting to see what happens next with head football coach Clay Helton following the 2019 season.
- After winning his first game as head coach at Virginia Tech, Mike Young was feeling loose and wanted a cold one. Sounds to me like he might have already had a sip or two, but it’s all good, I won’t tell anyone.
Stick to Sports!
- From Pixar Animation Studios comes an all-new, must-see adventure in the upcoming 2020 movie ‘Soul’. Starring the voices of talents like Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey, ‘Soul’ is a story about finding one’s true purpose in life and doing what it takes to achieve one’s destiny. Check out the film’s teaser trailer right here!
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!