Happy Friday, friends and fans!
With this Saturday’s game between the Oklahoma Sooners and the TCU Horned Frogs being the final home game of the 2019 season, it’ll also be the final opportunity for a select group of seniors (and some juniors) to play in front of the OU faithful.
One last party at the Palace Saturday!— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) November 22, 2019
Game primer ➡️ https://t.co/gmzDv78ciV
presented by @EnableMidstream pic.twitter.com/RBwcad7ZAr
Notably, the 11 scholarship seniors who will be suiting up and running onto Owen Field for one last time in their collegiate careers are WR Nick Basquine, DL Dillon Faamatau, DL Neville Gallimore, QB Jalen Hurts, DL Kenneth Mann, QB Connor McGinnis, WR A.D. Miller, WR Lee Morris, CB Parnell Motley, DL Marquise Overton and OL R.J. Proctor. Earlier in the week, Lincoln Riley confirmed that LBs Caleb Kelly and Mark Jackson would not take part in Senior Night, as they are in line for a redshirt.
Beyond that group of veterans, there are also at least a couple juniors who could very well be taking off for the next level after this season, which would qualify them for a celebratory send-off as well. WR CeeDee Lamb and LB Kenneth Murray are the two most likely candidates on this team to declare early for the 2020 NFL Draft. An official word has yet to be made for either player, but it’s something to keep an eye on this weekend and going forward.
Even though a player like Jalen Hurts just arrived to campus in January, he’s clearly established himself within the program and among the fan base as a true Sooner. It’s been a fun ride watching him and his senior counterparts grow together, so it’s time they were paid back with the best atmosphere the Palace on the Prairie has to offer.
Throwback to last week's #Sooners comeback win @_CeeDeeThree @JalenHurts @LincolnRiley pic.twitter.com/0Oz6DlKwfO— caitlyn epes (@caitlynepes) November 21, 2019
Now onto this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! Oklahoma stays undefeated on the hardcourt, Dontae Manning still shows interest in the Sooners, picking Christian McCaffrey is a pretty good choice on Madden and more!
- Kenneth Murray was named one of nine semifinalists for the Lott IMPACT Trophy — awarded to the nation’s top defensive player who displays the honor’s core values on and off the field.
1️⃣ of 9️⃣ semifinalists for the @TheLottTrophy.https://t.co/CEWcuVdk34 | #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/mQEuzaRs6I— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) November 22, 2019
- Jalen Hurts and CeeDee Lamb were both named semifinalists for the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award. This dynamic duo has been virtually unstoppable when they’ve connected throughout the 2019 season.
2️⃣ semifinalists for @WalterCampFF Player of the Year!https://t.co/t4AIfdwBtg | #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/svp4xE3jbQ— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) November 21, 2019
- Oklahoma checks in as a No. 9 seed in Joe Lunardi’s super early Bracketology update this week. The Sooners are 5-0 with another key non-conference matchup against 6-0 Stanford on Monday.
- Speaking of hoops, on Thursday night, the unbeaten OU men’s basketball team hosted a winless Maryland Eastern Shore squad in a game that was a lot more interesting early on than originally expected. You can find Jack’s brief recap of the game here, and below are the game’s highlights. At the end of the day, the Sooners pulled away to win rather comfortably, 91-64.
The #Sooners score a season-high 9️⃣1️⃣ points and fly past the Hawks.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) November 22, 2019
- Class of 2020 four-star cornerback Dontae Manning has released his top five collegiate choices, and the Sooners made the cut. If you recall, the Kansas City prospect was once an Oklahoma verbal commit before re-opening his recruitment in July.
We almost there... (( In No Order ))#ForksUp #Gigem #GoDawgs #ScoDucks #20Deep ⭕️ pic.twitter.com/MCMqaVnKv8— CraZ (@dontaemanning_8) November 22, 2019
- In case you missed it, junior TE Grant Calcaterra announced his retirement from football on Thursday. Citing a history of concussions, the California native is doing what’s best for his long-term health, and OU fans everywhere wish him all the best in the coming chapters of his life. Boomer Sooner, Grant!
To everybody who's been a part of my football journey, Thank You.— Grant Calcaterra (@grcalcaterra) November 22, 2019
Philippians 1:6 pic.twitter.com/OmOlUsLiMV
- If you haven’t already, don’t forget to check out this week’s episode of the Oklahoma Breakdown Podcast where Jack and Kamiar review the Sooners’ wild win in Waco before previewing the TCU game with Jamie Plunkett of Frogs O’ War. As usual warning, be aware that there is some NSFW language on the pod. Also, make sure to check out this week’s opponent Q&A with Melissa Triebwasser (also of Frogs O’ War).
- As usual, Allen Kenney also has his gambling picks podcast for this week, so give it a listen!
Around the Sports World
- Cleveland Browns DE Myles Garrett’s appeal for a reduced suspension was denied, meaning he’s played his final down in the 2019 season. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, Maurkice Pouncey’s three-game suspension was reduced to two, so he’ll be back next month.
- The Golden State Warriors are without question the worst team in the NBA this season after injuries and free agency gutted their All-Star lineup, so after a month of ball has been played, who are the top nine contenders that could make a legitimate run at a championship?
- The Chicago White Sox and first baseman José Abreu have agreed to a three-year, $50 million contract extension.
- At first I thought he was just going to do the one pose, but then he kept going! Roger Federer is actually really pure and we must protect him at all costs. A great athlete with an even greater sense of humor.
Someone asked Roger to not move while they were taking photos and this happened pic.twitter.com/coDFLJofNI— Olly (@Olly_ATP_2019) November 20, 2019
- Carolina Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey is officially the youngest player to receive a 99 overall rating in Madden history. Check out his reaction when he found out about the incredible news. Awesome stuff.
So this is what it’s like to find out you’re the best RB in Madden... #99Club @run__cmc @EAMaddenNFL @Panthers pic.twitter.com/Q30fVhZOa0— The Checkdown (@thecheckdown) November 21, 2019
Stick to Sports!
- Jack Black is known for his outrageous style of comedy and exuberant personality, which is why I think he’d be perfect for a role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I don’t know if he’ll play ‘The Thing’ or ‘Kingpin’, but Kevin Feige needs to make Jack Black in the MCU happen, stat. I mean c’mon, he played the most quotable superhero (I’ll die on this hill) ever already in ‘Nacho Libre’. It’s a no-brainer.
Exclusive: Jack Black tells us he thinks it would be cool to play Kingpin or The Thing in a Marvel movie. https://t.co/SjC7JWxB68 pic.twitter.com/Bb8nnXg3Mn— Screen Rant (@screenrant) November 22, 2019
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!