A chaotic Week 9 in college football saw seven ranked teams come up short against their competition, including the Oklahoma Sooners. After losing to Kansas State, OU drops five spots to No. 10 in this week’s AP Poll.
POLL ALERT: LSU jumps to No. 1 in AP Top 25 presented by @askRegions, just 2 points ahead of Alabama; Ohio State, Clemson, Penn State round out top five.— AP Top 25 (@AP_Top25) October 27, 2019
Full poll: https://t.co/DWCBw9xytP
More college football coverage: https://t.co/Fy8sGPLf7y pic.twitter.com/uWu6qMtp2q
- Ohio State
- Penn State
- Notre Dame
- Appalachian State
- Boise State
- Kansas State
- Wake Forest
- San Diego State
- After pulling off a major upset over Oklahoma, the 5-2 Kansas State Wildcats are back in the rankings at No. 22. If KSU can continue to win down the stretch, the Sooners’ loss in Manhattan will look more respectable in the eyes of the CFP committee.
- The 5-3 Texas Longhorns are no longer ranked after falling to TCU on Saturday, 37-27. If UT can right the ship, it may sneak back into the top 25 at some point, but for now that looks like a team in a downward spiral simply trying to hold on for dear life.
- Even in an off week, the unbeaten Baylor Bears continue to rise up the poll because of some natural chaos around them. If BU is still undefeated by Nov. 16, that could be a potentially be a top 10 matchup when the Sooners ride into Waco.
- Florida and Georgia play each other next week, as do LSU-Alabama and Ohio State-Penn State later in the season. If Oklahoma takes care of its own business, much of the rest will take care of itself. That’s not to say an upset or two elsewhere won’t be needed, but OU is not in a position of needing some kind of early Christmas miracle to return to the College Football Playoff.
- This is the final AP Poll of the 2019 season that will provide the rankings in which the networks go by. Beginning next Tuesday, Nov. 5, the CFP committee will convene on a weekly basis to release the official top 25.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!