10 team conferences are ideal for football and basketball. Balanced schedules are the only way to get a legitimate conference champion. The best 2 SEC teams rarely play in the SEC championship game. That was also the case with the old Big 12 when there were years when Texas and OU were clearly the best 2 teams, but couldn't play for the title.
Georgia-Alabama have only played 7 times since 1995. That's including 2 games that weren't scheduled (2012 SEC Title game, Last Year's National Title game). Before 2012 the SEC only had 12 teams. So now that the SEC is at 14 teams Georgia-Alabama will meet even less. There are plenty of other examples of teams that are in the same conference that hardly ever play.
There are 130 FBS teams currently. Here's my crack at geographically putting them into conferences of 10.
1. OU, OSU, Kansas, Kansas St., Arkansas, LSU, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M
2. Florida, Florida St, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., South Carolina
3. Clemson, UNC, Duke, NC State, West Virginia, Tennessee, Louisville, Kentucky, Virginia, Virginia Tech
4. Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Indiana, Cincinnati, Maryland, Notre Dame, Pitt, Boston College, Penn St.
5. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St., Missouri, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Nebraska, Colorado
6. Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., USC, UCLA, CAL, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona St.
7. Utah, Boise St., BYU, Colorado St., San Diego St., Fresno St., Nevada, UNLV, Wyoming, Air Force
8. Hawaii, New Mexico, NM State, Utah St., San Jose St., UTEP, North Texas, Texas St. UTSA, Idaho
9. Baylor, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, Southern Miss, SMU, Memphis, Tulane, Vandy, Wake Forest
10. Navy, Rutgers, UConn, Temple, Army, Buffalo, UMass, Ohio, Marshall, Syracuse
11. FAU, FIU, Central Florida, South Florida, Troy, East Carolina, L.Tech, UAB, Georgia Southern, Georgia State
12. C.Mich, E.Mich, W.Mich, Toledo, Bowling Green, Ball St, Miami OH, Akron, Kent St, Northern Illinois
13. Old Dominion, C.Carolina, Arkansas St, Mid Tenn St, W.Kentucky, Liberty, S.Alabama, App St, LA Monroe, LA Laf
Not everything went together perfect. Syracuse probably deserves better. Wake and Vandy seem out of place. But for the most part I think it mostly makes sense.