The Oklahoma Sooners are starting to build some serious swag as a program, both on the field and on the recruiting trail. And the dude who personifies swag as much as anybody is Baker Mayfield.
This line of fashion underwear is owned by NBA players Kyrie Irving, Chandler Parsons and Jimmy Butler. Now they have my guy, who was a two-time walk-on, chilling with photogenic tigers. Also, peep the Rolls Royce with the suicide doors. It doesn’t get any slicker than that, folks.
Now I don’t know what’s more fierce, that big cat or that beard.
Darren Rovell has also revealed that the tiger is not only real, but a celebrity in its own right.
Mayfield is just stunting on everybody right now. The man is actually about to make the Cleveland Browns cool. Think about that.
Now onto Hot Links! Drake Stoops is making noise, Baker Mayfield still isn’t getting first-team reps in Cleveland, Will Grier is a preseason All-American and more!
- First day of classes for the fall semester were on Monday, and Lincoln Riley threw it way back to 1990 with this even younger version of the young head coach.
Happy 1st Day of class to all the OU Students! Let’s have a great year!— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) August 20, 2018
Here’s mine in 1990 pic.twitter.com/1j1XD8NIya
- His brother, Kansas tight ends coach Garrett Riley, tried to one-up him. In the end, it was to no avail.
- Obviously the QB competition at Oklahoma is the primary topic of interest during this fall camp period, but the battle at center is an intriguing one to watch as well.
- According to PFF, tackle Bobby Evans is Oklahoma’s highest graded returning player, and ranks eighth in the nation among offensive tackles. Evans is currently competing with Cody Ford for the starting left tackle spot.
Bobby Evans is Oklahoma's highest-graded returning player pic.twitter.com/k4WQVsHNKF— PFF College (@PFF_College) August 20, 2018
- It seems like after every practice there are more and more rumblings about receiver Drake Stoops. Even his teammates have recognized his potential to contribute.
- UCLA’s run defense was statistically one of the worst in the nation last season, and they recently lost one of their starting linebackers for the season. Oklahoma’s run game could exploit the Bruins on the ground if the boys from L.A. haven’t improved.
- Baker Mayfield’s head coach Hue Jackson said the Browns are still focused on giving the 1st team reps to Tyrod Taylor, leaving Mayfield with the second string. I understand where he’s coming from, but at this point I think it would be wise to give Mayfield at least some reps with the ones, just in case he has to suddenly spring into action in a real game.
- DeMarco Murray announced his first game as a FOX Sports college football analyst will be on August 31st for the San Diego State vs. Stanford game. Also, I’m pretty sure I hear Journey’s ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ in the background of this video. Nice!
Say hi to the newest member of the @CFBONFOX team, @DeMarcoMurray!— FOX Sports PR (@FOXSportsPR) August 20, 2018
Click here to read more on FOX Sports' college football broadcasters, and find out who's calling which games Week 1: https://t.co/VF3LMRDK8y pic.twitter.com/hv5yzs1lN0
Around the Sports World
- The Miami Hurricanes will be wearing uniforms that were created from materials recovered and recycled from marine areas in order to raise ocean pollution awareness. Good for you, Miami. Those unis don’t look half bad, either.
FIRST LOOK: Miami uniforms in opener vs LSU are Parley materials made from upcycled marine plastic waste pic.twitter.com/YFb3UcRlxM— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) August 20, 2018
- ESPN’s preseason All-America team has been revealed. West Virginia’s Will Grier is the pick for quarterback. He’s expected to have a monster season for the Mountaineers.
- The preseason AP Poll was released yesterday, and like always, several fan bases had issue with where their teams were ranked. There’s one thing that every team can do to earn the ranking they feel they deserve. Hint: it’s not by losing.
- Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh has a whiteboard full of very Jim Harbaugh-like quotes. My favorite is still “Who’s got it better than us? No-body!” “Fat is the enemy of speed” is right up there, though.
- Speaking of Harbaugh, much was made of his comments about not eating chicken, but he’s certainly not the first coach to have weird rules about food.
Stick to Sports!
- Studies have shown that humans can live up to 120 years old, but the reality is that most people don’t live nearly that long. In almost 200 years of scientific advancements, the elderly people in our society are still only living slightly longer than they were 200 years ago. Netflix and Vox teamed up to explore what causes some to reach centenarian status, and how that can become the average for all.
If the human life span maxes out around 120 years, why do most of us only make it two-thirds of the way there?— Vox (@voxdotcom) August 20, 2018
We explore aging and the fascinating science behind extending our life spans in this week’s episode of Explained narrated by @IMKristenBell: https://t.co/XMktti1IJT pic.twitter.com/oLtYCW8U4p
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!