Happy Monday, friends and fans! It’s been a long time coming, but Oklahoma Football just made a big reveal. The marriage between OU Athletics and Jordan Brand is underway, and the couple looks mighty fine!
I recommend checking out oujordan.com to see the new Jordan Brand uniforms in all their glory, including exclusive content from behind the scenes. Plus, you can find out why Oklahoma was chosen to become the third university to be affiliated with the Jordan Brand.
Here, Jordan Brand President Larry Miller explains why pairing up with the Oklahoma Sooners is such a monumental move for all parties involved, and graphic designers Josh Iverson and Matt Smith discuss the small nuances in the uniforms that make the biggest differences.
I must admit, I was confident that these were going to look slick all along, but wow, I am beyond impressed. And the traditional whites with that crimson Jumpman? A thing of beauty. Boomer Sooner!
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! Lincoln is on the lookout for new leaders, Patty Gasso needs a new pitching coach, Jay Cutler doesn’t care about Kristin’s new reality show and more!
- According to USA Today’s Paul Myerberg (and most other predictors), Oklahoma remains the team to beat in the Big 12. Even with the loss of Baker Mayfield, the Sooners’ overall talent and coaching prowess puts them ahead of everybody else until further notice.
- Now that the dust has settled on Lincoln Riley’s comments about defense in the Big 12 vs. other conferences, what was Coach actually trying to say? And if he was throwing shade at anybody, who exactly was it? Allen Kenney explores all that and more in this exceptional write-up.
- With all four team captains gone from last season’s squad, Lincoln Riley is tasked with finding new leadership to replace the likes of Baker Mayfield, Orlando Brown, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Steven Parker. Currently, there are several candidates who stand out.
- Oklahoma is way ahead of schedule as far as the recruiting class of 2020 is concerned. For as much excitement as there is surrounding the 2019 class, the next one coming through the pipeline could be even better, and Lincoln Riley and company are already making a lot of noise.
- Sophomore cornerback Tre Norwood spent the weekend near his home in Arkansas with his family, where he helped distribute backpacks and school supplies to children and their families in the area. Norwood is competing for a starting spot in the Sooners’ secondary after finding some success late last season.
- With Sooner Softball pitching coach Melyssa Lombardi accepting the head coaching job at Oregon, Oklahoma will be instructed with finding a viable replacement for one of the top assistants in the game. Luckily for the Sooners, Patty Gasso is still in place and ready for the challenge.
Around the Sports World
- Virginia Tech starting defensive back Mook Reynolds has been dismissed from the team for violating team policies. The Hokies’ defense has endured a number of defensive defections this offseason, and Reynolds is the third projected starter in the secondary to need replacing.
- Jay Cutler is trying to enjoy retirement from football, but now he has to deal with a new challenge: putting up with his wife Kristin Cavallari’s new reality show ‘Very Cavallari’. He basically acts how I would in this situation. For more on this show and Cutler’s role in it, check out this post by SB Nation’s Christian D’Andrea, but don’t check out the show itself if you know what’s good for you.
- New York Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and free agent punter Brad Wing both star in Nicki Minaj’s new music video for her song ‘Bed’ featuring Ariana Grande. This has to be the first time a punter has made it to this level, right?
- While Serena Williams was out training, she missed her baby daughter’s first steps, and that left her feeling pretty bummed out. In a wave of support, moms everywhere came to the rescue by sharing their similar stories, and in turn, gave Williams some words of wisdom, because that’s what moms do.
- It’s been five years since the last NCAA Football game was released by EA Sports. How are gamers keeping the popular video game alive today, and will a decent alternative ever hit the shelves?
Stick to Sports!
- Actor Chris Hemsworth, notable for his portrayal of Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is literally suiting up for a new role he’s taking on in a ‘Men In Black’ spin-off. The new project is still without a title, but it has been revealed that actress Tessa Thompson, Hemsworth’s co-star in ‘Thor: Ragnarok’, will be teaming up with the Australian megastar once again.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!