Happy Friday, friends and fans! As some of you know, the NBA Summer League is currently going on. Trae Young and the Atlanta Hawks are part of the group in Utah, which naturally involves the Utah Jazz.
One of Utah’s rookies is Grayson Allen, who has been noted and criticized for his antics and bad behavior on the court in the past. Well, Young had a front-row seat to the former Duke Blue Devil’s ways, and this was the result:
Grayson Allen got into a scuffle with Trae Young in Summer League. pic.twitter.com/VWuoLisnRN— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 6, 2018
In the end, both Young and Allen received technical fouls, and judging by the video, they each did their part in the altercation. Still, Young can use this experience as another teaching moment. As for Allen, the dude better grow up fast, because there are a number of NBA vets who simply won’t allow that type of behavior, and they definitely won’t hesitate to let him know. I’m looking forward to a showdown with Patrick Beverly.
Now on to this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! The Oklahoma Sooners get another boom for 2019 class, Brad Dalke and coach Ryan Hybl are representing the U.S. in France, Jeff Long is the new KU AD and more!
- Lincoln Riley tweeted the famous eyes-emoji this morning, and shortly afterwards four-star cornerback Woodi Washington out of Murfreesboro, Tennessee announced his commitment to the Sooners! Washington holds offers from several elite programs like Alabama, Florida State and Ohio State. Welcome aboard, Woodi!
100% Committed to The University of Oklahoma pic.twitter.com/ZhKmztUb7v— Woodi Washington‼️ (@WashingtonWoodi) July 6, 2018
- CeeDee Lamb had a big time freshman campaign in 2017, and he’s poised to continue his Big 12 leading catch rate on deep passes this fall.
No returning Big 12 WR has a higher catch rate on deep shots than Ceedee Lamb pic.twitter.com/nQr2ZOfr6u— PFF College (@PFF_College) July 5, 2018
- Florida Atlantic, Oklahoma’s Week 1 opponent, doesn’t present a threat simply because Lane Kiffin is calling the shots. The Owls return 10 starters on defense, along with running back Devin Singletary, who ranked first in the FBS last season in rushing touchdowns. If the Sooners aren’t dialed in, this one could get dicey.
- Four-star running back Marcus Major became the first Oklahoma commitment from the Sooner State in the 2019 cycle. Oklahoma’s recruiting has had a national flavor for quite some time, but lately the Sooners have been garnering extra attention from places as far California, while maintaining a powerful presence in the fertile state of Texas.
- Oklahoma’s Brad Dalke and his head coach Ryan Hybl are representing the United States at the 2018 Palmer Cup. The event begins today in Evians-les-Bains, France. Good luck to both of you guys! Boomer!
Around the Sports World
- Carmelo Anthony and the Oklahoma City Thunder are parting ways after a one-season experiment that failed to produce positive results on the court. Taking Anthony off the Thunder books will alleviate OKC’s financial burden by about $100 million.
ESPN Sources with @royceyoung: Oklahoma City, Carmelo Anthony will part ways this summer, likely saving team over $100M. Thunder working with 'Melo's reps on exits that include trade, stretch provision. Story: https://t.co/mJbxINv2Cd— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) July 6, 2018
- The Kansas Jayhawks have found their new athletic director. Jeff Long, who was fired from the same position at Arkansas last November after serving 10 years with the Razorbacks, is now the new AD in Lawrence.
I am very proud to announce I am the newest member of the @KUAthletics family! Incredibly honored to join Chancellor Girod’s leadership Team at KU and look forward to working with the talented student-athletes, coaches and staff in Jayhawk Athletics! Rock Chalk!!!— Jeff Long (@jefflongKU) July 5, 2018
- Ronda Rousey has been inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame, making her the first woman to ever do so. Rousey began her UFC career 12-0 in dominating fashion, before losing her final two matches, leading to her retirement from the sport. Congrats on the amazing accomplishment, Ronda!
Ronda Rousey made history as the first woman inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame pic.twitter.com/uap1iifPPZ— ESPN (@espn) July 6, 2018
- Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are organizing a one-on-one, 18-hole match for a purse of $10 million. The two golf giants will square off at Shadow Creek Golf Course in Vegas, but an official date has yet to be determined.
- France goalie Hugo Lloris wasn’t only defending his goal from soccer balls, he was also defending his insides from this giant flying alien insect. Yuck.
- Talk about instant karma. This is why you never try to pull another person’s pants down in public. It always comes back to haunt you. In this Ethiopian racer’s case, it came back to haunt him immediately.
Craziness in Lausanne 5000m as one Ethiopian leader tries to pull another down by his shorts and ends up falling himself. pic.twitter.com/OcYSLZtJeO— Nick Zaccardi (@nzaccardi) July 5, 2018
Stick to Sports!
- Hank Williams Jr. and Brad Paisley, two of the biggest names in country music, collaborated last night at an Ohio concert. Bocephus introduced his friend Paisley to the stage for a rendition of ‘I’m Gonna Get Drunk and Play Hank Williams.’ If you’re a fan of stars coming together to make some awesome music, you need to check this out. *Insert Jack thumbing his nose at Brad Paisley here*
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!