How’s it going, friends and fans? On this day last year, Bob Stoops called it a career, effectively sending shockwaves through Sooner Nation and the rest of the college football world. So what’s one of the most prominent figures in the sport to do with so much time on his hands? The Oklahoman’s Berry Tramel detailed that and more in this behind-the-scenes look at the program’s winningest head coach.
We have two requests for you today, and they’re both detailed in this tweet:
BOB STOOPS HAIKU CHALLENGE— C&C Machine (@CCMachine) June 7, 2018
Use a Haiku to express your appreciation for Bob Stoops and his tenure at OU.
Also, today would be a great day (as is any day) to make a donation to Special Spectators. Bob is on the board of directors. https://t.co/JLp2HFe74t #Sooners
You can fulfill the first request on Twitter, in the comment section below or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We might just make a post out of the best submissions. You can fulfill the second request by clicking the link in the tweet.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Deion Sanders wants Kyler Murray to give up football, Gerald McCoy’s Tampa Bay jersey is finally in the Palace at the Prairie, Spencer Rattler only has eyes for OU and more!
- Lincoln Riley will forever be tied to Bob Stoops for being his successor, so what have the past 365 days looked like from Riley’s perspective? Check out this Q&A where Lincoln reflects on what he’s experienced over his first year as the head coach of the Oklahoma Sooners.
- “The most powerful, most accomplished athlete at Oklahoma this past year didn’t beat Texas like Baker Mayfield, or Kansas like Trae Young. Maggie Nichols defeated evil. She helped bring down Larry Nassar.” Well said, Guerin Emig.
- Deion Sanders wants Kyler Murray to give up on playing football and focus on his pro baseball career full-time. Coming from Sanders, who played both sports at the professional level, he speaks with wisdom and experience, but at the end of the day it’s Kyler’s decision.
- The NCAA is a strange entity. The rules basically allow Kyler Murray to get paid in one sport while playing in another, and some actually have a problem with that. Well, not necessarily an issue with this in and of itself, but it’s a little odd in the context of some of the other guidelines. Take Donald De La Haye’s case as an example.
- This tweet is gold. I’ll just leave it here.
Kyler Murray: "alright we're running 4 verticals"— Colton Schmoyer (@cs096) June 7, 2018
Lincoln Riley: "no I said half back dive"
Kyler: "coach how much money do you make?"
Linc: "3.5 mill per year"
Kyler: "yeah well I make 5 mill. We're running 4 verts"
- Did somebody say Draft U? Boomer!
- Oklahoma’s football facility has an area commemorating the Sooners in the NFL, but Gerald McCoy’s Tampa Bay jersey was no where to be found. Looks like his Sooner jersey was finally replaced with a Bucs jersey, and now all is right.
- Spencer Rattler says he is 100% committed to Oklahoma, so if you hear anything on the contrary, just know it’s likely from salty fans of other schools who wish they had his commitment.
I am not taking any visit to Texas A&M . Quit spreading rumors. #BOOMER— Spencer Rattler (@SpencerRattler) June 7, 2018
- Chouteau Elementary in Tulsa is in the process of being renamed the Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy. Tisdale is considered to be one of the best athletes to suit up for Oklahoma, and for those who knew him understood that he was an even better person. Tisdale was an accomplished musician, so naming a fine arts academy after him is more than fitting.
- Don’t forget to check out RJ’s discussion over Mike Stoops and the Oklahoma defense with Doug Farrar, the lead NFL Scout for Bleacher Report.
Around the Sports World
- Kevin Durant hit another Game 3 dagger in this year’s NBA Finals, and LeBron James said this one was even tougher. Golden State now leads the series against Cleveland 3-0.
- West Virginia football hasn’t exactly had a breakthrough season since joining the Big 12, but the 2018 team could feature the best QB-WR combo in the nation. Is there enough around them to finally get over the hump and make noise nationally?
- Per Brett McMurphy, the Las Vegas Bowl will be featuring a Pac 12 team and another Power 5 school starting in 2020. I wouldn’t like to see OU fall to the Las Vegas Bowl due to what would presumably be a mediocre campaign, but I’d sure as hell make the trip.
- An umpire in a Japanese baseball league was a little startled as a player ran beside him. This is hilarious to me because I can totally relate.
- The World Cup is coming up, so in the meantime, check out this video game (for desktop only) from SB Nation called Penalty Kick Assassin. I tried playing and I am just no good. No good at all. Go ahead and give it a whirl!
Stick to Sports!
- Today would have been Prince’s 60th birthday, and today the Prince Estate and Warner Bros. announced a new album titled Piano & a Microphone: 1983. The album is a collection from a live recording at a rehearsal in his home in Minnesota. You can listen to one of the songs, Mary Don’t You Weep, here.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!