What’s up, friends and fans? Oklahoma Baseball has showed out and represented itself well in the first couple days of the 2018 MLB Draft. In addition to Kyler Murray and Steele Walker’s picks on the first day, Jake Irvin was selected by the Washington Nationals in the fourth round, Austin Hansen was selected by the Houston Astros in the eighth round, and Cade Harris was selected by the Colorado Rockies in the tenth round.
This team clearly had some talent, and with Coach Skip Johnson moving into his second year at the helm, I expect this program’s profile to keep rising.
Now onto the Hot Links! Kyler Murray has balanced double-duty superbly, Tramonda Moore is in the building, Baker Mayfield is making progress in Cleveland and more!
- Lincoln Riley released a statement about Kyler Murray being drafted and his intentions of being part of the football team moving forward this summer.
Statement from head coach Lincoln Riley on Kyler Murray: pic.twitter.com/j4Mhl1qgWP— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) June 5, 2018
- Kyler Murray plays baseball and football well, but he also played the last few months as well as can be expected of him. Several other players in Oklahoma Football’s past have either had the chance to go the MLB route or actually did, and Murray has balanced his options in a remarkable way.
- At the end of the day, Kyler Murray’s story is a win-win situation for Lincoln Riley and Oklahoma football.
- Paige Parker has been named a finalist for the Honda Sport Award, which is given annually to the top female athlete in 12 NCAA-sanctioned sports. Congratulations, Paige!
- As reported by SoonersScoop’s Bob Przybylo and detailed by The Football Brainiacs, class of 2018 JUCO signee Tramonda Moore is officially on campus. Now that he’s at OU, he can help strengthen Bill Bedenbaugh’s already stout O-line. Here’s what he said to RJ last month.
- Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson says Baker Mayfield is “right on schedule” through the first few weeks of camp, but Mayfield says the progress has been slower than he would’ve wanted.
- Our very own Jack Shields discussed Trae Young with the Atlanta Hawks’ digital content folks in regards to what he brings to the table and what we can potentially expect from him at the pro level. Jack also wants you to know that he’s not a huge fan of the title the Hawks went with for the post.
- It’s a bit of a down recruiting cycle for the 2019 class when it comes to overall QB talent, but luckily for Oklahoma, commit Spencer Rattler is one of the class’ premier signal callers, if not the top guy overall.
- Oklahoma OL target Jack Buford is announcing his decision this afternoon. Unfortunately, Missouri appears to have seized the momentum following a recent visit.
Around the Sports World
- What would an MLB Draft look like if the players in the draft pool were the heroes from the Marvel Cinematic Universe? If you’re a fan of the MCU, you absolutely must check this out.
- Washington Nationals pitcher Max Scherzer became the fifth MLB pitcher ever to toss an immaculate inning (three strikeouts in nine innings).
- Don’t sleep on Bill Snyder and Kansas State in 2018, especially with so much experience returning on offense. K-State typically has its best seasons when it flies under the radar, and this season could be one of those years.
- Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal is petitioning to the NCAA to enter next month’s NFL supplemental Draft, and if he wins the petition, he could become the highest picked player in the supplemental draft since Josh Gordon in 2012.
- There’s been a number of chalk-art masterpieces on display at a brewery in Alabama, and this is a perfect example of the silly side of college football.
Stick to Sports!
- An animated movie version of The Addams Family is in the works, and high-profile actors Charlize Theron and Oscar Isaac have been confirmed for voice-overs. The film is set to be released in October of 2019.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!