How’s it going, friends and fans?
So Kyler Murray was drafted with the No. 9 overall pick to the Oakland A’s on Monday night, and he could make upwards of $4.7 million this year. What’s really interesting is that he’d potentially be raking in more cheddar than his own head football coach, Lincoln Riley.
For what it’s worth, I’d be fairly shocked if a raise isn’t announced around the time of this month’s OU Board of Regents meeting, which could change that situation.
Not exactly common in college sports— Jason (@JasonKirkSBN) June 5, 2018
Your joke about "except at my very cheating rival lol" goes herehttps://t.co/cO7tvA9U4i
So basically, a couple of millionaires could be running the show for the Oklahoma Sooners’ offense this year — one on the sideline, and one on the field.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Bo Jackson shares his thoughts on Kyler Murray, Kyler Murray confirms he will be playing football this fall, the OU-Army game could be destined for pay-per-view and more!
- In case you missed it, here’s the announcement of Oakland’s drafting of Kyler Murray at the MLB Draft on Monday night.
- And here’s further analysis of Kyler Murray’s game as a baseball prospect from the MLB Network’s Harold Reynolds.
- We’re probably going to hear Bo Jackson’s name around Norman a lot this fall with Kyler Murray’s status as a star on the football field and the baseball diamond. Speaking of Bo Jackson, the former Auburn Tiger spoke about the challenges of playing two sports and how Murray can succeed.
- Kyler Murray found out about being drafted by the Oakland A’s mid-flight from Tallahassee, Florida, and his face says it all. Congratulations, Kyler!
- Wait a minute, isn’t everybody excited to be an Oklahoma fan? In all seriousness, it shows the confidence the A’s have in Kyler Murray (and the Oklahoma staff) that they were willing to allow Murray to play football this fall and still select him where they did. In turn, I’m now excited to be an Oakland Athletics fan.
A's scouting director Eric Kubota, on drafting Kyler Murray: "The risk of football was outweighed by the upside on the baseball field. ... We were totally on board with his desire to play quarterback at Oklahoma. Frankly, we're kind of excited to be Oklahoma fans.”— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) June 5, 2018
- They say ‘There’s Only One Oklahoma’. When it comes to the most marketable players in the nation’s three biggest sports, Oklahoma stands above all the others once again.
For the first time, one school can claim to have the most marketable player taken in the most recent NFL, NBA and MLB Draft — Baker Mayfield, Trae Young & Kyler Murray.— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) June 5, 2018
- Speaking of Trae Young, he talked about having some conversations with Steph Curry, the player he gets compared to most often. Young said they don’t talk about the comparisons, and mentioned that it’s not like those Spider-Man memes. This is newsworthy primarily because Spider-Man memes are some of the best out there and I’ll defend my opinion with my life.
Trae Young has met Steph Curry. He didn't talk about the Curry comps with him.— Mike Vorkunov (@MikeVorkunov) June 5, 2018
"We don't talk about am I like him or he's like me. I don't know if you all have seen the Spiderman meme pointing at each other. No, we don't talk about that." pic.twitter.com/tZZI9LM52j
- You did the right thing, Toby. Some people just walk around with no clue, and you have to just stay out of their way and let them be clueless somewhere else. In all seriousness, c’mon, guy! What kind of question is that?
While in Tallahassee I had this conversation with FSU media member:— Toby Rowland (@TRowOU) June 5, 2018
Q: How good is Kyler Murray?
A: Pretty good.
Q: Will he get drafted?
Q: How high...top 10 rounds?
A: Maybe Top 10 picks.
Q: Ha...oh wait, you’re serious?! Has OU ever had a 1st Round pick?
(I walked away)
- Oklahoma’s Steele Walker was also selected on the first night of the MLB Draft, going No. 46 overall to the Chicago White Sox. You can read more about his selection here.
- Oklahoma has a string of 11 a.m. kickoffs scheduled for this season, and that doesn’t sit well with Lincoln Riley. However, the fact of the matter is, the networks run the show, so they have control over when and where games are broadcasted. Unfortunately for the Big 12, that often leaves those 10 teams on the outside looking in, including the premier program in the league.
- The OU-Army game is “most likely” headed for pay-per-view, says Berry Tramel of the Oklahoman.
- Class of 2019 four-star offensive tackle Jack Buford is set to announce his commitment this Wednesday, and many recruiting analysts believe Oklahoma is high on his list. Landing Buford would not only boost the 2019 class, it would also add more evidence (as if we don’t already have enough) to O-line coach Bill Bedenbaugh’s value as an assistant on this staff.
Jack Buford @jackjack2k19 will make his college announcement Wednesday June 6 at 1 pm at a press conference at Lutheran North High School. He will not give any interviews until after the press conference. pic.twitter.com/9iwY05MtNy— Carl Reed (@CoachReed314) June 5, 2018
Around the Sports World
- Florida State’s Jessie Warren looked like a superhero on this play as she laid out to secure this incredible diving out against Washington in Game 1 of the Softball National Championship series.
- The cover for the next NBA 2K features LeBron James and I must admit, I think it looks dope as hell. I don’t game much, but this cover is sweet.
They Will Know Your Name, just like they know the King's. Introducing our 20th Anniversary Edition cover athlete @KingJames. Pre-order #NBA2K19 now to play 4 days early starting September 7th https://t.co/Fwn4OnQeur pic.twitter.com/Uw0IPMhArs— NBA 2K19 (@NBA2K) June 5, 2018
- Former 49ers receiver Dwight Clark, the man on the receiving end of ‘The Catch’ in the 1981 NFC Championship Game, has passed away after battling with ALS. His wife Kelly shared the news on Clark’s Twitter account. Clark was 61.
I’m heartbroken to tell you that today I lost my best friend and husband. He passed peacefully surrounded by many of the people he loved most. I am thankful for all of Dwight’s friends, teammates and 49ers fans who have sent their love during his battle with ALS. Kelly Clark.— Dwight Clark (@DwightC87) June 4, 2018
- Baylor lost to Liberty last season. That’s really all you need to know about Matt Rhule’s first season with the Bears. What kind of season could they be in for this time around? SB Nation’s Bill Connelly explores that and more.
- Vince McMahon and his upcoming reboot of the XFL is gaining some legitimacy after Oliver Luck was hired as the league’s commissioner.
Stick to Sports!
- Check out the new ‘Bumblebee’ trailer from Paramount Pictures. The film, directed by Travis Knight and starring Hailee Steinfeld and John Cena, is an origin story for fan-favorite Bumblebee of the Transformers franchise. The movie is set to hit theaters this Christmas.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!