What’s up, friends and fans? Raise your hand if you think Lincoln Riley should continue calling plays for the Oklahoma Sooners. Okay, you can put your hand back down now. In all seriousness, it’s hard for me to envision anybody else calling the shots for this offense as long as Riley is on the sideline.
And by all accounts, he wants to continue doing what he does best, so why not let him? Even Bob Stoops thinks Riley should continue his dual role as head coach and play-caller, and Stoops points out how there have been coaches who thrived under the same conditions, including one of his own coaching mentors, Steve Spurrier.
Now I’d understand if years down the road Riley wanted to hand off play-calling duties to someone else he trusted with the responsibility, but when you’re at the top of your game, the best in the business, and you’re still interested and excited to do what you do best, then there’s really no reason to even question it at this point. So for now, just enjoy Lincoln Riley as a play-caller, and don’t be surprised if he’s still making the calls for the next decade or so.
Now let’s move onto the Hot Links! Trae Young tosses the first pitch at a Braves game, Archie Manning compares Baker Mayfield to Brett Favre, the 1980 intro to the OU-Texas game was pure 80’s gold and more!
- Trae Young threw the first pitch before Tuesday night’s Atlanta Braves-Cincinnati Reds game. I’m just glad it was a nice, safe toss and not some viral dud or errant bullet.
The closest-range shot @TheTraeYoung has ever taken? @ATLHawks first-round pick & @OU_MBBall product delivers first pitch at @SunTrustPark ... and he stuck around to take in @Braves vs. Reds with some friends.#Braves | #ChopOn | #TrueToAtlanta pic.twitter.com/gLUE478SOU— FOX Sports: Braves (@FOXSportsBraves) June 27, 2018
- Sporting News’ Bill Bender has made his early preseason predictions of all 40 bowl games as well as the winners, and has also included his picks for the College Football Playoff. In his playoff field, he has Oklahoma squaring off against the reigning national champs in Alabama. Check out Bender’s predictions to see who he has coming out on top!
- Baker Mayfield and other QBs selected in the first round of April’s NFL Draft have wrapped up spring training camp, so what’s the latest report on the Heisman Trophy winner?
- Speaking of Mayfield, he and his parents were hosted in New Orleans for the annual Manning Award, which is the only national award that factors in a QB’s post-season performance. Archie Manning and Baker Mayfield: two iconic signal callers in the same photo. Good stuff.
It was an honor to host @bakermayfield & his parents, James & Gina, in #NewOrleans tonight for the 14th annual #ManningAward We wish Baker the best of luck this upcoming season in the #NFL pic.twitter.com/8QFpLjBfKn— Allstate Sugar Bowl (@SugarBowlNola) June 27, 2018
- Manning spoke about Mayfield too, likening him to Hall of Famer Brett Favre for his ability to shrug off a bad play and continue to move his team forward.
- Kenneth Murray, Caleb Kelly, Levi Draper and others paid a visit to the Children’s Hospital at OU Medical Center. This is what it’s all about, guys. All those young smiles are priceless.
A child’s smile is one of life’s greatest blessings... pic.twitter.com/3mfjbi0gYS— Kenneth Murray (@Kmurrayy_9) June 27, 2018
- Check out this Red River gem from the archives. The intro to the 1980 OU-Texas game has everything you want in an 80’s edition of the nation’s most intense rivalry this side of the Mississippi. If you’re wondering, Texas beat Oklahoma that day, 20-13, but that shouldn’t detract from this production masterpiece.
Hello, friends. I have something beautiful to share with you. The intro to the 1980 Red River Shootout: pic.twitter.com/dSQjY4iozr— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) June 27, 2018
Around the Sports World
- The Los Angeles Clippers traded guard Austin Rivers, son of Clippers head coach Doc Rivers, to the Washington Wizards for center Marcin Gortat.
- The Arkansas Razorbacks defeated the Oregon State Beavers 4-1 in Game 1 of the College World Series on Tuesday night, and are now one win away from winning the national title.
- Nathan Peterman, quarterback for the Buffalo Bills, made his NFL debut as a rookie last season. In his debut, he threw a record five interceptions. Because this is the offseason, you definitely don’t have anything better to do, so check out this ranking of all five of those Peterman INTs. Ouch.
- This Buffalo football player is clearly not a human being. Also, I just shredded my hammies after watching this.
This hamstring workout defies physics! pic.twitter.com/j2YwUAZfva— SB Nation (@SBNation) June 27, 2018
Stick to Sports!
- Since 2014, Facebook has been working on the ‘Aquila,’ a solar-powered drone designed to provide internet access to underserved communities. It’s just been announced that production on the project has been shut down and will not be resumed. Still, information that was used to develop Aquila can potentially serve as a blueprint for future projects.
- BOOM 788! If you live in Oklahoma, you’re likely aware that State Question 788 passed last evening. Here’s what that means for medical cannabis in the state, as well as how it compares to other laws around the nation.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!