Happy Friday, friends and fans! The football season doesn’t start for another two plus months, but I can’t help but rack my brain pondering how this year will play out. Once the season finally does begin, one thing Oklahoma Sooners fans everywhere will find out right away is how Mike Stoops’ defense looks. His first test should be a doozy, and that’s why SB Nation’s Ian Boyd wrote up this post exploring just how many points Lane Kiffin’s Florida Atlantic Owls could put up on Owen Field. Ian is a Texas guy, but he makes fair points.
At this point, I almost don’t even want to think about the kind of numbers Kiffin’s offense may record. I just hope it’s not some outlandish contest ala OU-Texas Tech 2016. Keep them below 35 and I won’t smash my TV.
Now onto this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! Trae Young is a Hawk, Baker Mayfield is a team player (it’s news to Colin Cowherd), the Lakers want no part of LiAngelo Ball and more!
- In case you missed it, here’s the moment Trae Young officially became an NBA player. The Dallas Mavericks had the fifth pick, but the Atlanta Hawks held the rights to the pick as part of an earlier trade. You’re making everyone back home proud, Trae! Keep it up and represent!
- You tell ‘em, Trae. The boy’s street cred is already through the roof! I can hardly wait to catch all your highlights at the highlight factory in the ATL this season.
- After Atlanta obtained Trae Young fifth in last night’s NBA Draft, Oklahoma unofficially became Draft U. What a time to be an Oklahoma sports fan. Boomer!
- This Foot Locker commercial featuring Trae Young, LiAngelo and LaVar Ball had me cracking up. I wish I could have one of those spiffy tees, but like Young and Ball, they’re one and done.
- Colin Cowherd likes to spout his false narrative that Baker Mayfield isn’t a team player. This set of pics sort of debunks that narrative in resounding fashion. Take a seat, Colin.
Easy Job of the Day: Find a picture of Baker Mayfield celebrating with his teammates. pic.twitter.com/p7PALR7AQO— Scott Matthews (@catchingdesign) June 21, 2018
- All in all, Cowherd was a good sport after having Mayfield guest-star on his show. Something tells me this won’t be the last time these two get together.
- Speaking of which, Jack wrote about yesterday’s undressing of Colin Cowherd, even referencing A Knight’s Tale at one point.
- And here’s what RJ said:
- Yup. Former NFL wideout Nate Burleson likes what he’s seen and heard from Baker Mayfield. I know most people here don’t need me to tell them, but Mayfield is just that dude players want to play with. Sounds like some serious leadership qualities to me.
- If you have iTunes, you should totally check out this interview with Lincoln Riley by College Sports Now. Riley discusses several topics in the interview, including what it’s like being so young at such an elite program, Kyler Murray, and his personal happy place.
- So where does Oklahoma’s 2019 recruiting class stand at this point in the summer period? Diehards’ John Shinn provides updates and talks about why this part of the year is critical for the class’s long term outlook.
- The #GrowU movement that Oklahoma Athletics is developing highlights some of the most incredible young people around. Check this out to add a little inspiration to your weekend.
Around the Sports World
- After the NBA Draft, who are the top remaining prospects not to be selected? Also, what are the chances any of them can find spots on rosters?
- I don't know what I enjoyed more, this spectacular goal made by Nigeria or the commentator’s long and drawn out ‘GOOOOOAL.’ What a fun clip.
- Like baseball? Also like video games? If you said yes to either of those questions, then you need to check out this list of fake video game titles inspired by baseball players. If you said yes to both questions, then you need to check this list out like yesterday. No. 50 is just too perfect.
- After not being drafted last night, the Los Angeles Lakers have no interest in inviting LiAngelo Ball to its Summer League team. Honestly, it’s no surprise to anyone who paid any attention to the draft process. LiAngelo might have had the toughest time making the NBA out of all the Ball brothers.
Lakers officially informed LiAngelo Ball he will not be on their Summer League team last night. They were determined to make this a basketball decision but as one source put it, “obviously there’s more to it than basketball.” In other words— the LaVar effect was real.— Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) June 22, 2018
- There are some scary mascots out there in the sporting world, but which ones are the most terrifying of all? I’d honorably mention Oklahoma State’s Pistol Pete. That hard, giant head is nightmarish just by description.
Stick to Sports!
- Gaming giants Nintendo and Microsoft are joining for forces to counter Sony and its no-cross-play policy with games like ‘Fortnite,’ ‘Rocket League’ and ‘Minecraft.’ Cross-play allows gamers to play each other online across platforms, which makes for a more expansive gaming pool. Sony executives have been silent on whether they’ll follow Nintendo and Microsoft’s suit.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!