Happy Friday, friends and fans! What a year it’s been for the Oklahoma Sooners. With postseason success virtually across the board, the people behind the magic deserve every bit of recognition sent their way. Now, the contracts of many of those people within Oklahoma’s Athletic Department will be up for review in an upcoming Board of Regents meeting.
We'll know more about Lincoln Riley's raise on Tuesday, but we do know at least one member of his staff got a big boost.— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) June 14, 2018
Salary of executive director of recruiting Annie Hanson is slated to increase from $70k to $115k. Not too shabby. https://t.co/x5WkY9fymd?
Lincoln Riley could be looking at a significant raise after making $3.1 million in his first season, along with other prominent head coaches and assistants throughout the department. Also, executive director of recruiting Annie Hanson is looking at a major pay bump for her tremendous efforts in revitalizing Oklahoma on the recruiting trail.
Now onto this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! Marita Hynes Park is in play for some major renovations, Trae Young cancels a workout with Philadelphia, Mike Bibby is YOKED and more!
- Kyler Murray and the Oakland A’s have officially agreed to contract terms, and it’s been reported that later today Murray will go through batting practice in Oakland’s Coliseum. Murray’s signing bonus is estimated around $4.6 million.
As I reported two days ago, the A’s officially have come to terms with top pick Kyler Murray. He will be at the Coliseum this afternoon to take BP on the field. Signing bonus roughly $4.6 million.— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) June 15, 2018
- The Oklahoma softball stadium is potentially getting a $22 million upgrade. Sooner fans have frequently sold out Marita Hynes Park over the recent years, and now it appears to be time for renovation and expansion. A new proposal has been put in motion to enhance the fan experience at OU Softball games and increase the seating capacity, which is something this program definitely deserves.
- I, too, believe Trae Young will be off the board before the tenth pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. Still, it would be pretty cool to see Young with the 76ers. They’ve got a great nucleus in place.
Per @TheAthletic, Trae Young was scheduled to have an individual workout with the Sixers tomorrow, but canceled earlier this week. Young's camp may believe that he'll be off the board by #10.@CCMachine— Chris Grenham (@chrisgrenham) June 14, 2018
- Speaking of Trae Young, former Sooner basketball star Stacey King likes what he sees in Young’s game, and has communicated with Young over the past year, offering him advice and mentorship. Pretty cool stuff.
After working out for the #Bulls today, @TheTraeYoung was asked about another @OU_MBBall legend @Stacey21King and spoke about how grateful he is for his advice leading up to the #NBADraft.— Bulls Talk (@NBCSBulls) June 15, 2018
In December, King evaluated Young. Real recognize real.
STORY: https://t.co/BuH4wNzmhR pic.twitter.com/pS6IRgtTPo
- Former Sooner wide receiver Jordan Smallwood is still working towards his dream of playing in the NFL. Keep up the good work, Jordan! Boomer!
- Diehards’ John Shinn gives an update on where Oklahoma’s recruiting class of 2019 currently stands. As of today, Oklahoma’s class is ranked third in the nation, according to 247Sports’ composite ranking.
- In case you missed it, make sure to check out Crimson & Cream Machine’s latest Countdown to Kickoff post, featuring Orlando Brown and the 1979 Oklahoma Sooners!
Around the Sports World
- The College World Series involves two Big 12 teams in Texas and Texas Tech. What are each of their chances of winning it all?
- The Naval Academy is accusing Nike of adapting one of their logos as their own, and I’ve got to say, the similarities are quite striking. Check it out for yourself.
The similarities of the Nike/UNDEFEATED logo released this week and the USNA Crest are undeniable and we believe their logo is clearly an infringement under trademark law. USNA is working with Navy leadership to order Nike/UNDEFEATED to cease and desist their use of the logo.— U.S. Naval Academy (@NavalAcademy) June 14, 2018
- A number of big names in the NFL are holding out during this offseason for a variety of reasons. Check out this list to find out who is holding out and why.
- A jelly doughnut has been used as an analogy to explain Michael Porter Jr.’s very serious back injury. So how does his injury affect his NBA Draft status?
- Mike Bibby has been retired from the NBA for a few years now, but I’m pretty sure I know what he’s been up to since then. Does he even lift? The answer appears to be a resounding yes.
Mike Bibby is in bulking season. pic.twitter.com/jXOW0abd14— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) June 15, 2018
Stick to Sports!
- Actor Jeff Goldblum, known for his roles in science-fiction thrillers like ‘Jurassic Park’ and ‘The Fly,’ has finally been honored with his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Also, check out this clip of him singing along to the Jurassic Park theme song. I’ve never met him, personally, but Goldblum seems like a pretty fly guy, pun intended.
"In Jurassic Park, scary in the dark, I'm so scared that I'll be eaten": Jeff Goldblum treats fans to a rendition of the dino blockbuster's iconic theme tune as he is honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. https://t.co/TFaVLmtT7t pic.twitter.com/wPKXjxoMy3— ABC News (@ABC) June 15, 2018
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!